13.4 @ 101.... Mph Slow?

TONYP

I went to the track wednesday with my new regal and ran a 13.416 @101.26. 60' was 1.816. 1/8 was 8.459 @77.43. 101 seems a little slow for a 13.4. what do you guys think? I think the car should have more in it also. Any thoughts? I ran in Denver. I can't complain much since I only paid $3,000 for the car. I sold my last one for $4,700 and it was stock and not nearly as nice as this one. Car was popping and loosing power on top end on nearly every run. Any ideas on that?

Thanks

my 87 gn ran a 13.42@101.95mph. so either thats an ok
speed or both of our cars have problems. my 60' was 1.93
and 1/8 mi was 8.597@80.41mph. best time so far is 13.28
@102mph. problem is my car won't launch hard cause the
tires will spin at the line.

Tony, Get a scan tool and you'll be able to find out if it was knocking on the top end and that's why the mph was a little slow.(if that is slow?) I'm not an expert but maybe bad wires caused popping? Try the spring cleaning at gnttype.org. hope this helps.

What boost level? at 15psi that is a good mph. at 22psi with a TE44 it sucks.
HOWEVER for 5000 feet it might not be that bad. Talk to Mile Hi GN, he runs Denver all the time.

I ran 106 at 500' with stock stuff if that means anything

Naw, your mph is right on for those times.do the spring cleaning, change plugs, use the 42's if your going to run over 20psi of boost, and gap them between 032 and 035, get a xcan tool. your combo can see 11's when tuned in , (w/ traction)

The average TR (from 13.50 to sub-8's) runs et=1356/mph, +/- about .2 sec or 2 mph if you turn it around. Your 13.416 gives 101.07 mph so you are right on the average. Popping is usually lean but can be from rich. Get a scan tool, turn the boost down some and start working your way back up while you watch the O2 volts and knock retard.

maybe you didn't notice he is running at 5,000 ft......quite a difference

Does it have an aftermarket fuel pump? If not make that the first thing you do.

As for the Unknown chip, that could be the problem, a 93 chip won't mph like a race chip.

After a pump, put in a Thrasher 108 and race gas and really see what it can do.

The car has an unknown aftermarket pump and is hot wired but it has a 233 regulator. I was getting knock on the top end but not sure how much. I was using a Snap-On scanner from the shop but could not get it to record. The knock LED did light up though. I was running about 17 psi and ~100 octane. Car was falling off big time on the top end. Car had 12.4 timeslips in it when I bought it, but I am not sure if anything has been changed.

Thanks

Originally posted by azgn
maybe you didn't notice he is running at 5,000 ft......quite a difference

If this was directed at me, yes I did notice, but no, the altitude won't really change the et-mph relationship, it will just reduce the hp. He asked if his mph was in line with his et, and it is. You are right, he would make more power at sea level and thus his mph would rise and the et would drop, but on average the et is still 1356/mph.

Car had 12.4 timeslips in it when I bought it

Hmmm maybe its the driver? Just a thought.

The loss in MPH could be from the popping and the "losing power" on the big end. You need to make sure your fuel pump is keeping up with the boost, that your wires, plugs, coil pack, and module are good, and that your valve springs are relativley new.
That is not a bad time/MPH for your first time out. I was at Bandimere Wednesday DAY and ran a bunch of 108MPH at 24# of boost. It was hot and the barometer was 23.26.
Can you make it to the Rocky Mountain Muascle Car Shootout on Sept 8th at Pueblo? It sure is nioce running at the lower 4800 ft altitude.