12's on pump gas?

87buickregal

what is required to make an 87 t run 12's on the street with pump gas and without turning up the boost? what parts would i need to do this? thanks.

Originally posted by 87buickregal
what is required to make an 87 t run 12's on the street with pump gas and without turning up the boost? what parts would i need to do this? thanks.

Ported heads and larger injectors should do it with normal recipe mods (K&N, good exhaust, traction).

Bigger turbo, front mount or ported heads (but the fm is much cheaper to install), injectors, fuel pump, probably drag radials, good 93 octane chip and tuning. You might do it with just a fm and the stock turbo but something te44-ish (or pt51 or pt52 or te60 or ... if you change torque converters) would get you 12.8 for sure on a cool evening and 12.95 on a hot day. I ran a TE34 turbo (two steps smaller than a TE44), 40 lb/hr injectors, and regular TA Radials and ran 13.3's at 101 or so mph, then added a fm and went 12.8's, then drag radials and lots more tuning and 12.6's, then a PT54 turbo and thdp and 2800 stall and more tuning and then even bigger injectors and a best of 12.15/110, typical of 12.3/109, then a 3200 stall 10" converter and GT67Ptrim turbo and a traction limited best of 12.02/111.9, all on 93 octane, no alcohol or water injection, and 4020 to 4060 lbs going down the track.

Get an alcohol kit for a few hundred $$ and dont look back on being held down by pump gas.JMHO.:cool:

thanks for the replies. I should have been more clear. What I'm looking for is a daily driveable car that is capable of running 12's (high 12's is fine) all the time, not just on race gas, or turned up boost, or alcohol (don't know much about that though), etc. So theoretically, it could run 12's just the way it is when it's driven every day, and then, could be even faster if I were to take it to the track and use race gas, etc. Thanks guys.

i am running 11's on pump gas, but i do have alot of motor work

93 octane, stock suspension (airbags) street chip and radials.

weight with 3/4 tank of fuel is 4084# with me inside, spare tire and, stereo system, plus some misc things in car.

plus stock GN Rims

I run GT100 and don't change anything but my rear tires.

well i took my car to the track with 1 run I ran a 12.7 with the street tires spining down the track and running pumped gas. I have the following

alky kit
translator plus
terry houston down pipe
te60
72lbs inj ( Dont need this much)
Front mount Dequick intercooler
walbro 340 fuel pump.

Like I said it was 1 time down the track. I know with a lil tuning and better tires I should be low 12s high 11s. HTH

With a stock turbo and intercooler, with the only mods being being the basic fuel, air, and exhaust ,and ported heads, I ran 12.2@108 on 14lbs with 94 octane.

Originally posted by 87buickregal

It's definitely tougher with these cars. I'm planning the same thing and know it's going to cost more. So far with the mods I have, I run 20 psi with zero knock on 93 Octane. I'm sure if the tires hold with a 2800 stall converter locked early, I will come close or hit high 12s. P&P the heads, big neck(MPE 3" flows more than twice the stock neck), I will hit 12s all day on straight 93.

Damn with my 99 GT and T-76 @ 12-13 psi, I could run mid 11s @ 120-122 mph on 93 octane any time of the year.

Get an alky kit from Alkycontrol.com and chip from Turbotweak.com ......run mid 11's w/ pretty much stock stuff.... Dot slicks,down pipe,injecters,tuning....your on your way.

Read everything you can about these cars and get your own perspective on things.

HTH
Bo

Originally posted by forcefed3.8's
With a stock turbo and intercooler, with the only mods being being the basic fuel, air, and exhaust ,and ported heads, I ran 12.2@108 on 14lbs with 94 octane.

I can't see how that is remotely possible.

Geoff

Originally posted by ghall
I can't see how that is remotely possible.

Geoff

Ported heads.

Our heads suck.

Ported heads can easily flow 35% more air than stock heads at the same boost level. Air flow is directly proportional to HP, so this could potentially mean 35% more HP.

I've run 12.84 @ 104 with the stock setup, 17 psi of boost and a huge amount of knock on the 2-3 shift with DR's on straight 93 pump gas.

That is by no means anything I would try twice, but I'm pretty sure with ported heads, it would run at least mid 12's at lower boost (and I avoided the big lag on the 2-3 shift caused by too high a boost and not enough octane)

Mine is a mid 11's recipe in race trim.

The last time out in pure street trim (NO ALKY), on 93 octane, running a modest 20# of boost and real street tires (not drag radials) the car turned some pretty good 12.80's (on a sick MAF).
The only advantage was that is was done at the track.

Same tires on the street wouldn't have done it. Would definately need better tires to run those levels on the street.

stock engine, PTE44, MSD50's, V2 front mount, Vigilante torque converter, that's about it.

12s

I just run the times in my sig at Reynolds...stock turbo,big neck stock intercooler,009's, Eric Marshall chip,and of course Razors alky kit:) Drove it 2 1/2 hours to get there with no problems.......Bob

It is called tuning. I ran 11.63@118 with the only change being a PT51 (I was also running blue tops). I was running 20psi with 94 octane. I had very little knock, but it turned out to be false, it didn't go away with 112 octane. I was also running 225/60 Mastercraft tires with a bad posi. I was getting 1.72's to 1.75's from a 1500rpm launch. It must be an Ohio thing.:D

These cars are totally streetable and get good gas mileage even down into the 10s. We're not held back by cubic inches. 12s, 11s, 10s...........TRs only react differently when you put your foot to the floor. :D

My buddy (turbolc2112) went 11.6 on 93/alky, street chip and on Nittos. He was happily surprized. *I* think he could touch the 10's set on kill, but he doesnt wanna try. I am impressed with how his car is running.

Originally posted by broke1
Get an alcohol kit for a few hundred $$ and dont look back on being held down by pump gas.JMHO.:cool:

You are so RIGHT ON! Alky is great!, Run 93 and alky all day and you will be pleased. A friend of mine ran 11.40 on 93 and alky, and just ran a 10.62 on alky and 100 octane. of course his motor is worked etc. But nonetheless, impressive for pump gas. And it keeps your engine clean!

Scott