125 MPH in the 1/4 - who's doing it and how?

No where to go? How about then add cam, heads, headers, etc.
I'm scared to open my stock block. I see people having nothing but problems after they go messing around with it. I'd rather first try simple bolt ons and big boost. It works.

If you want to make "x" amount of power, It would be the same cylinder pressures and fuel, and air, either blow it in with big boost, or tear apart motor and replace heads, intake, etc. same/same. I see no extra danger compairing big boost/stock heads and normal boost ported heads. Explain what you think and why. Given the fact that you need a big turbo either way, and the correct fuel, etc. I think just both are just as safe/dangerous. Power is power....the more power the more danger, and of course knock is worse the more power you are making

turbo2nr said:
I'm scared to open my stock block. I see people having nothing but problems after they go messing around with it. I'd rather first try simple bolt ons and big boost. It works.

If you want to make "x" amount of power, It would be the same cylinder pressures and fuel, and air, either blow it in with big boost, or tear apart motor and replace heads, intake, etc. same/same. I see no extra danger compairing big boost/stock heads and normal boost ported heads. Explain what you think and why. Given the fact that you need a big turbo either way, and the correct fuel, etc. I think just both are just as safe/dangerous. Power is power....the more power the more danger, and of course knock is worse the more power you are making

Thats a load of BS. Sorry if I offend.

Built motors make MORE POWER,with LESS KNOCK.

Example,I have ran within a tenth of your car on 16#,and straight 93 WITHOUT that alcohol BS.

Turn it up to 20#,and watch it go 127 mph (lifting due to messed up trans) in the 1/4 with ALOT of room left in it.Never had a problem with the motor,problem was getting that crappy 200r4 to hold up to it.

Matter of fact the only thing holding you back from doing the same or even better is a set of good heads and get rid of that sh@tty stock cam.

I'm at 124.37 mph on a rich tune and without locking the converter. Getting it lined out better and locking the converter I should be able to see 130, but here's the jist of my set up. This was through the mufflers and boost moving around a bit from 23-26 psi and on race fuel:

Translator Pro, Pro Chip, LC1 WB,
30 over 109 block, std turbo crank, polished stock rods
Sealed Power Forged Pistons
Race ported and polished Irons
Champion Intake and 70mm TB and PTE Polished upper plenum
83lber's
CompCams 210/210 ductile roller
885 Roller Lifters
1.65 Roller Rockers
CPT70 P Trim .82 ar housing, 3" THDP, 2¾" Dual Exhaust w/ Welded Ultra Flo Race Magnums
4" cold air induction ( made by me )
PTE FMIC
TH Headers
ARP bolts and studs
1,2, and 3 billet mains
9½" Multi disc Vigilante " 6 " pump ( 3600-3800 stall )
Double pumper in tank

I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.

turbo2nr said:

That's what I meant. I can push my car to 30 PSI, but then it's maxxed until I something like heads. Mine's already been 'opened up', it's bored .040 over and has forged pistons. It also has a hotter cam. I really think heads are the next logical step, but I don't want to do it until I know I've exhausted the possibilities with this set up. There might be a 12x.xx pass in it.

Thanks all.

Jim

Jim I think the heads would give you the greatest bang for the buck at this stage.

They are worth around 30hp at stock boost levels,and it increases substantially with higher boost due to less restriction,more flow going into the cylinders,and cooler intake charge because of this.

Also boost is not the same as flow.You increase flow with boost,but only to a point.Then you just create heat,and more knock/stress on your motor and headgaskets.

I mean,why run 30# of boost when you can put a set of heads on and run the same times on street boost?

turbojimmy said:
That's what I meant. I can push my car to 30 PSI, but then it's maxxed until I something like heads. Mine's already been 'opened up', it's bored .040 over and has forged pistons. It also has a hotter cam. I really think heads are the next logical step, but I don't want to do it until I know I've exhausted the possibilities with this set up. There might be a 12x.xx pass in it.

Thanks all.

Jim

Jim correct me if Im wrong but wasent your motor bulit by Danny Smith in camden :confused: IF so then thoose heads you have should flow some really nice numbers I dont think you will see to much of a improvment with just bolting on a non ported gn-r's as they flow very close to them now :confused: I personally dont think your combo is maxed out... there is diffently room left in the 60 foots but thats just me

Vet has 427ci and only about 3100 lbs. It's going to fly on pump gas.

As I rember I was around 121 on pump gas with a p trim 70,ported irons and a n/l converter.

I think with the 72q trim and GN1's that were on the car it would have hit 125 on pump gas if it had been tuned for it.

A big F/M helps a good bit too.

The new motor will hit 125 on pump gas pretty easy. ;)

Here's one for the cheater

Times in sig for my buds in Texas :tongue:

ttypewe4jim said:
Jim correct me if Im wrong but wasent your motor bulit by Danny Smith in camden :confused: IF so then thoose heads you have should flow some really nice numbers I dont think you will see to much of a improvment with just bolting on a non ported gn-r's as they flow very close to them now :confused: I personally dont think your combo is maxed out... there is diffently room left in the 60 foots but thats just me

Yes, Danny Smith built it. I'm not sure exactly how much work he did to the heads, though. When I had the engine rebuilt I told him I wanted a consistent mid-high 11 second car. Of course now I'd like a consistent high-10 second car ;). It's been a while now, but I think he said he did some porting and bowl work. It looks like he worked on the intake runners, too. I was going to call him before I made any major investments in heads anyway.

I would agree that there's more left in it, but maybe not 125 MPH.

Thanks,
Jim