116 gas

1991syclone

I am in Ohio, North of Dayton, and I am having a hard time in finding 116 gas by the 55 gal drum. I have tried searching web sites for the suppliers and am not having much luck. Any tricks that I am missing?

alky

alky is good but if u want to run high boost u need octane as well and 91 doesnt cut it.

folk's are running some pretty high boost with alky on 92 octane 23lb on street more at the track......alky users how much boost are you running? With Zero Knock.................:biggrin:

For what a drum of C16 costs, you could have an Alky kit from Razor...
If all you have is 91 octane, then have a chip burned for 91 octane + Alky.

I'm running 27psi on 93 Sunoco and Razor's Alky kit.

I'll NEVER go back to race fuel now that I know how well this Alky stuff works.
Last Fall it cost me $185 for 15 gallons of C16.

Never again.

alky is good but if u want to run high boost u need octane as well and 91 doesnt cut it.

I ran over 30 psi on 8.7-1 compression and 93 octane with a pt54 and an old kit i made myself 8 years ago. With the new kits Razor sells i wouldnt doubt even more boost after tuning. How much boost are you looking to run? Fwiw the PT54 was out of breath at 27 psi and 5500rpm on the 234 ci.

I have been running a 10% mix and can get 25lbs w/no knock. But I am going to the XFI and am just tired of playing with it. I am just going to pump my own and not worry about it. I have two objectives; be lazy and join the DOCC.;)

116 octane

Kammer & Kammer in Dayton handle C-16 or if you prefer Cox Oil south of Middletown on Rt. 4 has Sunoco 116. There is also a place in Beavercreek that Bobby Buick and some of the guys who live out that way get it from.

Just some quick math...

If C16 sells between $10-$12/gal... A drum of it will cost between $550 and $660. (Maybe more)

I just bought a dual nozzle Alky kit from Razor for $580 shipped to my door.
6 gallons of race Methanol cost me $29
Alky chip from TurboTweak cost me $85

My conversion is complete. :cool:

Thanks to all of you trying to save me $$$. I have run alcohol, I can buy it for around 1.00 @ gal. I can get bulk Toluene for free. Money is not the problem. I want to waste 116 cruzing around, just in case I need to scare myself. This car saves me money because it keeps me from buying a new Z06. :D Which would take me longer to scare myself. This is important because I came very close to passing a cop doing 150 MPH coming home from church. :eek: :eek:

1991 syclone
I used to run 116, I liked the extra kick the car had,then it took out my 02sensor and not knowing this I boosted it to 27lbs,then my head gaskets blew
then I spent many $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$, now I'm very happy to run
91 oct. with alky and be happy. just something to keep in mind :biggrin:

Vern, were you running the XFI with W/B? I do run o ringed heads and copper HGs with studs. If I blow out something it should be the crank.

I had stock gaskets on a new rebuilt motor, now I have the rjc bullet proof ones
but after putting the motor back together for the second time,I'll just take there
word on the bullet proof part,and stay with 91 oct. It takes away from my driving time plus the $$ factor to push it to hard again, yes I'm becoming a
wus in my old age :wink:

Price

Thanks to those on the list, I have found some local suppliers. Price, low $400s for 54 or 55 gal drums (depending on supplier) you can get cheaper prices for quanities of 500 gals or more. (maybe I should buy some farm land and become a dist.) :smile: For the alcohol guys the suppliers are saying it is getting ready to go through the roof, so buy it now. Thanks for all the help.

1991syclone I,
am also a fan of 116 I am planning on running a mixture of it probaly 50% 116 to 50% 93 octane + Alky to try and run 27PSI on the street. I live in a resident style neighborhood, I wonder what the law is for storing such an amount of fuel. Is that stuff safe to store in your garage? Thanks.

Hey bud- just go to Duncan Oil on factory rd. in Beavercreek. Their phone # is (937) 426-5945. Get the Turbo Blue Extreme. 117 octane. I ran 28*, 30+psi out to about 165 mph. 710 o2's no knock on bluetops:eek: About $7/ gal last time I checked, might be cheaper for the drum.

Good question on the storage. It seem you can store 5 gal containers anywhere (metal for 116). I live in a small community so if anybody gave me a problem I would store on farmland. (Above ground tank) It will be stored by the garage door away from the house. Really a 55 gal drum that has to be sealed (or the gas goes bad, do not leave your pump in the drum) is pretty darn safe. In my younger days I worked in the oil field and we had stuff that if pored in open air would ignite or my normal job of hauling 4000 gals of sulfuric acid around, so this stuff does not scare me at all. You always have to use common sense, well ventilated, no open flames, ect. If you have a friend that is a fireman he can tell you what you local rules will or will not allow.

When you join the DOTCC, make sure you post plenty of pics:D

If I were you, I'd give Razor a call, and really rethink that C16 thing- low 10s on pump gas and alky ain't nothing to sneeze at.......

Kinda hard to be stealthy on the street when your smell the race gas burning.....

Well the reason you run something more than regular fuel is because you are trying to keep knock (ruptured flame wall) away. If you figure your compressor map (turbo effiency) and the effiency of your intercooler or just inlet temp. you can figure your theoretical compression ratio. You must know pounds of air (not PSI) which will tell you your octane requirement (yes, 7.9 to 1 can become 19 to 1 when you watch the physics). Now adding alcohol (110 octane) in 10 % increments raises octane by apx. 1.6 points for each step, so you can figure how much you need to run. But even at 100% (with 30% flow offset for drop in BTU) you still max out at 110 octane. I understand the cooling effect of expansion, but that should have been allowed for when you did the inlet temp, if you are injecting prior to the TB. With all this said, please understand that 116 octane is better than 110 reguardless of the fuel. I do still plan on joining the DOCC (and I will post pictures) but not because I did not know what I was doing. It is also the only way I can put in a 383 twin turbo or a alum. 750 CI stroker motor (blown). Or if I could talk Kent out of one of his 7 sec. motors :smile: