10w-30 to 20w-50

The knock turned out be a loose belt against the tensioner due to an incorrect size belt, due to cheap hypertech pullies. I have everything on order including a tensioner and feel this will solve the tap. I eventually used Valvoline Vr-1 10w-30 with a bottle of zddp.

Very Good Choice.

Why do they make various weights in the first place?

Gee, I wonder why Mobile One uses 15/50 wt. for high performance use, don't they know that they make other weight oils like 0/20, 5/30, etc.? Could it be that their 15/50 wt. oil offers more engine shear protection, etc. for cars that have superchargers, blowers, high horsepower, etc. in any US climate? I think some automotive manufactures even recommend this oil in their very expense high performance automobiles.

:cool: Bottom line; is if your oil pressure is on the low side due to more clearance from wear, etc. a thicker weight oil should/may increase your oil pressure and may also protect your investment better IMHO. And have a good day. :smile:

I use that 15-50 all winter up here, it's a great synthetic no additives needed. :cool:

Pours easy too, unlike conventional 10-30 in really cold temps.

If you really want to see some oil pressure rise just add a bottle of this stuff. :biggrin:

My other TR had low oil pressure until I added a bottle of this every change. :p

Bought it closeout, $2.50 a bottle rated SF, SG. :)

Is there any mod that can be done to these cars to raise oil press.

Some auto part stores carry a "repair kit" that has an approx. 1/4" thick steel spacer plate with longer bolts and new gaskets that goes between the oil pump housing on the front cover and it's removable end plate for about $20 that is used to renew the aluminum wear surface of the oem end plate that the steel oil pump gears ride on which "usually" raises the oil pressure. You do not have to take the front cover off to do this.

PS: sometimes those aftermarket high volume covers are not made correctly and create problems, use oem or one from TA performance if you are going to get another front cover, IMHO.

I knew they made 70 weight for somebody. :cool:

One quart is plenty for me. :smile:

93 octane and alky. here, no top fuel just the bottom feeder stuff. ;)

Amalie still makes the 70 weight stuff new, but it's in a different bottle/label and I'm sure they changed the ratings a bit.

It pours just fine on a hot day in the summer. :p