What tools do I need?

PS: Your wife has great taste: Porsche Boxter.....I LOVE those Boxters. Real nice cars. Very stylish. Beautiful design. That single large exhaust coming out the back of them is BOSS!!:biggrin:

Bruce '87 Grand National

Craftsman, SnapOn, Mac, Metco are all great tools. You can't go wrong with them.

As far as Lowe's Kobalt....I bought a few of their tools, and on all of the packages it said "Made in China." Though I needed a specific set of special tools that Craftsman didn't have in stock at the time, I got the Kobalt set. I asked the manager at Lowe's if they'll honor a broken tool return/replacement and he said "of course."

The tool sets sold at Home Depot are tops also. They accept other broken tools (Craftsman, SnapOn, etc.) and replace with their brand. I've never had one of theirs break. Damn, I can't think of the name now.

Like 1quick6, I also get tools from Harbor Freight. Their impact sockets have served me well, never broke one, used them all the time. Some specialty tools can be bought there, too. Harbor Freight is pretty nice, a toolman's heaven.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Hey Bruce,

The car is actually modded extensively already, but everything is done right so I'm starting with a good foundation. It had a high quality engine buildup plus new turbo and full exhaust done just a couple thousand miles ago. Oh and alcohol injection. So everytime I look online for a mod, I usually find that the car already has it :cool: not a bad problem to have! I bought a good car and the seller and engine builder have been really helpful even after the sale so I have good support. Plus this forum, which is the closest thing you can get to warranty service on a 23 year-old car IMO! You're definitely right about the amount of expertise on this forum, its been my best friend throughout the learning and buying process. TR guys have to me some of the most knowledgeable about their cars in general, def some smart dudes around here!

It does have a scanmaster and VDO temp/boost gauges, and I'm studying up trying to decipher the scanmaster's lingo...for a newb like me its like learning Klingon...but I'm making my way through it.

I'm one of those guys who knows a bunch about cars from reading and stuff, but hasn't ever actually had any under-the-hood time. But its my new goal, to figure this stuff out. Plus I had a nice tool set (BTW the Home Depot brand is Husky, thats what I had) but it was stolen a while back. So I'm starting from scratch, which is cool, but I walk into the tool isle like "Whoa...what do I get first"...

I'll tell my wife what you said about the Boxster. I can't stand it cause I'm a big guy and every time I get in or out I have to curl up into a ball! But she loves it and she looks damn sexy in it so me likey...we both have the cars we want now so thats good...except I have the garage now...heh heh :cool:

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP GUYS

I'm going to add something on air tools. Ingersal rand is the best that you don't have to get off a tool truck, hands down. I had my last 1/2" impact for over 10 years and it worked beautifully until it was stolen. Yes it's heavy but it holds up. My air ratchets are Matco or Snap on for a reason. I've worked in shops more years than I care but it's tought me that quality can't be sold cheap.

As far as my hand tools It's a mixed batch and very seldom break things these days. I do have some cheap tools that've held up for years but the better quality tools will cost you, you're not just paying for the quality you're also paying for the warrenty.

Let's see some pics! :biggrin: My toolbox consists of a good sized Craftsman set in a green ammo can. When I need something I have to pour the whole can out on the garage floor! Not kidding! I rebuilt my entire engine with those tools and a few others.

All i can say is haggle and see if theres a sears outlet near you..Buy yourself some craftsman stuff and be done with it...Catch a sale and open items or damaged stuff i got this http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00959355000P for $95 cause one of the hinges that holds the lid up was twisted into a u and the rivet it swiveled on was missing and it was a display model..20 mins worth of bending and digging thru my bolt bucket and it was good as new!!!! Get your specialty tools from mac or snap on,and stuff like prybars and one man brake bleeders and magnet bowls and files and jack stands from harbor freight..Buy your jack from sears tho....These cars are weird in that they have standard and metric bolts on them..Learn as much as you can and Do it Yourself!!!! or have a friend come by that knows to help and show you..No one will take care of your car like you will!!! BTW Its always better to buy in sets youll nickel and dime yourself to death buying individual sockets..

Hey Vampire, then that's great you're starting out with all the right things on your GN. Very, very nice and lucky, too. Wish I had all of that stuff on mine. So, you did real good on it. Congratulations. All the real hard stuff is done. Good going.

Yeah! That's the name....Husky. Real good tools, and just like Craftsman. Made in the USA! They hold up great, too. I have a lot of them..

I sure know what you mean by having your tools stolen....back in '75 I was working the night shift after engineering drafting all day at a govt. contractor company at my local Oldmobile dealer. I had $10,000 in tools in my three piece tool box...the wrinkled brown Craftsman machinist set. I had to go to the hospital to recover from a staph infection for a week. When I got back to the dealer to start work....my whole tool set was gone! I went to the owner , Jim Stohlman of Stohlman Oldsmobile and wanted him to replace the set. He said it was an "in house" theft, therefore the insurance will not cover it. He said either buy a new set within the week or resign. Nice. I didn't have another $10000 to invest. This happens to a guy who returned all expensive tools left in my bay by the day shift to my head manager. You know, being honest, because I know what it's like to work hard to pay for those tools.

Guess who was the thief?? My head manager....my best friend who worked there also told me that the manager was bragging about stealing Bruce's tools. He needed a big set for his boat. He already had three BIG Mac tool chests, a house, two new Oldsmobiles, a boat (which he had taken me for a ride in after work one night) and an airplane. When I asked my buddy to testify to hearing the manager bragging about stealing the tools, my "best" friend said to me" Hell no, I need my job." I haven't spoken to him since.

And engraving your tools? Don't waste your time doing it...all of mine had my name on them and it never did get me my tools back.

It took me 30 years to build up two big chests of tools now, and they'll never leave my sight. This world can be a bad place.

Yeah, being big has it's disadvantages, just count your lucky stars you're not OLD!

AND....get that compressor the fellas here are all talking about. I don't know of anyone who could not use one...they are a godsend.

Bruce '87 Grand National

Yeah, I'm with you, Rick. I wish I had one, too. Really a very good thing to have when you have cars to work on. Beats jacking them up, putting on jackstands, rolling around under the car. Ah, to be able to do brake jobs standing up like the old days. Plus any under car work is so easy to get to.

You may get one someday, Rick. Never know.

Bruce '87 Grand National

One problem I have with craftsman wrench's is they tend to deflect (spread apart) and round bolts off. Snap-on's dont really do that. Voltmeter should also be on the list.

Bruce, thats pretty phucked up what your manager did to you (not to mention your "friend":rolleyes:). You should of bought 1 breaker bar and rapped him across the knees..............

Ummm.... hate to burst your bubble, but changing lifters requires more than pulling the valvecovers. Valvecovers, intake, heads, & exhaust headers, among other small items have to come off. Then, new gaskets too.

Does it have a roller cam or a flat tappet cam? If it has a flat tappet cam, there is also a chance your problem is a wiped cam lobe, & not a sticky lifter.

Have you personally replaced lifters and/or cam in a Buick V6 and if you did, did you pull the heads? If so, you really did a lot of unneeded work.

Hey guys, thanks for all the help, I took everything into consideration and here's what happened...

Since I was in a pinch to get the car up an running again, I picked up the basics for what I needed for this job trying to keep it under $100. Went to Lowe's because its convenient for me and got a basic socket wrench set with some extensions and u-joints, a few screwdrivers, couple sets of pliers, just the basic stuff all by Kobalt.

Once I got the valve cover off I discovered a whole new problem...one way outta my pay grade unfortunately...so the car has to go in to the shop. But During the process I wasn't very impressed with the Kobalt tools. The ratchet felt flimsy and the sockets seemed to have some play when attached, especially with the extensions on. Also, the pliers were soft, I ground the teeth down trying to remove a stripped fastener which really surprised me.

Since I was unimpressed, and really wont need the tools anyway since the car is going to a pro for now, I'm returning everything. I'll probably get a bigger Craftsman set (the 260 pc. set for $199 looks nice and well priced) when I have more cash. Might even save up and build a Snap-on set gradually (just for kicks, I certainly don't NEED Snap-on, lol...) Overall this whole experience was pretty discouraging. I'm sure a lot of you are thinking "I told you so...":redface:

BTW the problem was Comp Cams "clicky" lifters causing serious problems apparently...I guess this problem has been well documented on the forum, so i'll be posting everything up with pics in engine tech.

Sorry about the current experience jarhead but it's an old car after all. The 4.1 I have is totally trashed and will need more work than I want but it is a 4.1 engine to put up for later. Just don't have the budget right now. Keep us posted on how it's going.

Sorry about the current experience jarhead but it's an old car after all. The 4.1 I have is totally trashed and will need more work than I want but it is a 4.1 engine to put up for later. Just don't have the budget right now. Keep us posted on how it's going.

I will post everything once its resolved, hopefully it will help out anyone who was thinking about using my setup. It is old in years, but its a really exceptional car. Its a former Kirban car with under 40K, and it had a full street/strip rebuild a couple thousand miles ago by a very reputable shop. That's why this problem caught me off guard, not even 2 weeks since I bought it and its down! :frown:

My new mechanic (Turbo Buick expert) looked it over, said its a beautiful car and approved of both the build and the shop...he said this is just one of those "**** happens" things. I've since found out that Comp has had a ton of problems with their lifters (made in China junk, stamped on their name, and blamed owners for all the problems)...but everyone involved in the car has been good about things. Like I said, best part about owning one of these cars is being part of the community. Guess I better get used to this stuff though...:rolleyes:

I will post everything once its resolved, hopefully it will help out anyone who was thinking about using my setup. It is old in years, but its a really exceptional car. Its a former Kirban car with under 40K, and it had a full street/strip rebuild a couple thousand miles ago by a very reputable shop. That's why this problem caught me off guard, not even 2 weeks since I bought it and its down! :frown:

My new mechanic (Turbo Buick expert) looked it over, said its a beautiful car and approved of both the build and the shop...he said this is just one of those "**** happens" things. I've since found out that Comp has had a ton of problems with their lifters (made in China junk, stamped on their name, and blamed owners for all the problems)...but everyone involved in the car has been good about things. Like I said, best part about owning one of these cars is being part of the community. Guess I better get used to this stuff though...:rolleyes:

LOL I understand completely. I've torn thee of the engines I have now and one was suposed to be rebuilt, but I wouldn't run it because the company that did it really didn't have a clue about what they were doing. The other 2 had screwed up cams from lack of ZDDP. Talk about a drag.:(

Hey guys, sorry about being so late in reposting but my hard drive crapped out on me the day after the GN did and I couldn't use my computer for anything! Funny thing is, the week before the GN was delivered, my DD also broke down, but I thought it was okay since I would have the GN to drive. Then this happened...then the computer...man, when it rains it pours, huh? :mad:

Well, at least this gives me a chance to fix all my sh**. DD POS Honda is going bye-bye and buying a brand new Lancer for road duty next week, and old laptop is making way for a new Macbook (I'm borrowing one to write this post and damn, these things are nice!)

Most importantly, the GN is getting a new set of Morel lifters from TA Performance installed, plus whatever assorted parts I'll need to fix what you see here...

This is what I saw when I pulled the valve cover; almost had a heart attack
photo-1.jpg

Another angle...at least it was the driver side cover LOL
photo.jpg

This is the rocker arm assembly pulled off so you can see the damage
photo-2.jpg

The pushrod ripped itself out of the rocker cup and was resting here (the piece of rocker cup was sitting on the head) :frown:
photo-3.jpg

I'm no engine guru so I don't know how to explain this in technical terms, but apparently the lifters had either been hitting the pushrod at a bad angle, or sticking, causing the pushrod to be shot upward at the wrong time, eventually causing this to happen (at least thats my understanding at this point.) I've heard on the board about problems with "clicky Comps" but I suppose this is a worst-case scenario. Oh well, at least I'm learning, right? :mad:

LOL I understand completely. I've torn thee of the engines I have now and one was suposed to be rebuilt, but I wouldn't run it because the company that did it really didn't have a clue about what they were doing. The other 2 had screwed up cams from lack of ZDDP. Talk about a drag.:(

Yikes...well thats one way to grind a cam...not sure how accurate it is though :biggrin:

You're like me, cars etc. all over the place but never all working at any given time...sometimes none are working! It is a drag!