What tools do I need?

Vampire

Up all night
I just had an 87 Grand National delivered to me after a long search for the perfect car. I couldn't be happier with it...its a SUPER clean car with under 40k on the clock, and a fresh street/strip engine build only about 2000 mi ago that hauls ass!

Luckily I'm starting out with these cars with a clean and fully functional car that doesn't need any work (yet...), but I know these cars are a unique animal...like another member said, "if you're gonna have one of these cars you have to know how to wrench on them, or have a fat wallet, or both". :biggrin:

That said, what tools and supplies do I need to have in my garage to work on this car? I plan on doing my own maintenance etc. and learning as I go, starting out with the basics. I plan on keeping this car a long time and I want to be an expert on it...eventually :)

For now consider me a total newb...some car knowledge, NO tools. What should I have guys?

(SIDE NOTE: I already have an unexpected project I'll be getting to today. A lifter is stuck, which I was told is an easy fix by the builder, but I need to pop the valve covers off. Any guidance on what I'll need and how to not screw this up would be much appreciated also)

BTW I've been on multiple forums for cars I've had over the years, but this is by far the best, great members & info here...so far its the best thing about owning this car besides stepping on the accelerator. :cool: So thanks in advance!

Honestly, I'd get a good mechanics tool set first, like a Craftsman set from Sears. You don't have to spend a lot being a shadetree mechanic. I started with that and added things here and there as I needed them. I wouldn't recommend just going to a tool store with an open mind and a blank check. :) Get good quality stuff on items you will use often, like the mechanics tool set. If I need other things I won't use a lot but really need on certain jobs, I get them from Harbor Freight.

Over time, I have added a shop air compressor, a mig welder, lots of specialty tools for brakes, Mityvac, compression tester, tubing bender and flare kit, noid lights, etc. Again, I just bought things as I needed them in the hopes I'd use them again. When people bring a car for me to work on and we find we need something to get a job done, if I am able to say, "Hey, I have that," it is worth it. :)

Start out with a good mechanics tool set, jack, jack stands, ramps, scan tool (like powerlogger for diagnostics), digital multimeter, shop light and a torque wrench. I'd add universal joints and crow foot wrenches for your socket set. I use these a TON on this car and they are a necessity! I was going to link to some Craftsman sets that are nice, but the Sears site is down for maintenance.

Ummm.... hate to burst your bubble, but changing lifters requires more than pulling the valvecovers. Valvecovers, intake, heads, & exhaust headers, among other small items have to come off. Then, new gaskets too.

Does it have a roller cam or a flat tappet cam? If it has a flat tappet cam, there is also a chance your problem is a wiped cam lobe, & not a sticky lifter.

Ummm.... hate to burst your bubble, but changing lifters requires more than pulling the valvecovers. Valvecovers, intake, heads, & exhaust headers, among other small items have to come off. Then, new gaskets too.

Does it have a roller cam or a flat tappet cam? If it has a flat tappet cam, there is also a chance your problem is a wiped cam lobe, & not a sticky lifter.

LOL sorry I should have been more specific...the car had this problem once since the rebuild due to the clearances for the Comp Cams set being too tight. It is a roller cam. Spoke with the builder and he was familiar with the problem, and he said it SHOULD be an easy fix by popping the valve cover and tapping on the stuck lifter to loosen it up. Walked me through it over the phone yesterday. Shouldnt need to do more than that hopefully, but if it persists, I'll def get a REAL mechanic to do the hard stuff ;)

1Quick6, thanks for the advice about the U-joints...I was thiiiiis close to buying a mechanics set yesterday but thought I could get away with buying only the sockets I need, since I really only plan to wrench on this car (Wife's car is a porsche...I can't even change the oil :rolleyes:) Thought it might save having a bunch of extra pieces I dont use and give me a bit of extra cash for other tools. Thoughts?

1Quick6, thanks for the advice about the U-joints...I was thiiiiis close to buying a mechanics set yesterday but thought I could get away with buying only the sockets I need, since I really only plan to wrench on this car (Wife's car is a porsche...I can't even change the oil :rolleyes:) Thought it might save having a bunch of extra pieces I dont use and give me a bit of extra cash for other tools. Thoughts?

I don't see a reason not to get a good mechanics tool set (metric&sae). Look through some on sears.com when it is back up. You WILL use everything eventually and you will be glad you started out with a pretty complete kit. It's a pay now or pay more later situation. I don't mind going to the store for a brake spoon or something like that, but not having a common piece like a deep well 15mm socket can just make you mad. :) You don't need an 800 piece set but you also don't want a set that fits in a zipper case.

OK... sounds better.

X2 on the U-joints. Damn near everything on these cars needs a 10' extension & 6 u-joints to get at it.:mad:

The passenger side VC is a bit of a pain due to the heater box & lines, but otherwise it's not difficult.

Yeah hopefully thats all it is...I was just happy it wasnt what my ScanMaster said, it was reading the lifter tapping as knock and it went wild, reading up to 19-20 KR! I swung the car to the shoulder freaking out, but builder & seller both told me what was up on the phone. Thought my internals were lava for a sec, but what do I know LOL...

6 u-joints, haha...ok put that on the shopping list :biggrin:

Ok mechanics set it is. Wrenches included, or should I get them separately? SAE or Metric or both? Some sets seem to be missing things that seem important to have like multiple extensions etc., what else do you always find yourself reaching for so I know I have it? I had a decent 300+ pc set a while ago that got stolen, so I was thinking about sorta building up gradually this time, hence all the questions. Thanks guys

you will need:

3/8th, 10mm, 7/16, 1/2, 15mm, 14mm, phillips and a flat head

you can disassemble the whole car with those.

Unfortunately, you will need both standard and metric to work on your Buick.

Sears sells a 260 piece tool set for around $199 that contains most everything you need, standard and metric. Sears has a pretty good deal on inexpensive multimeters too. No need to buy the most expensive one, mine was $15.

I bought extra extensions and universals from Harbor Freight Tools. I prefer they ones they sell for use with impact wrenches, their other ones are crap and easily broken. HFT has pretty good jack stands, I like the 6 ton ones, they are tall enough for my big azz to get under there.

I forgot to add stress balls or a heavybag/side of beef to punch. ;)
rocky-boxing-meat-150x150.jpg

Justasix, I have those printed and organized in a handy binder already ;)

any other good references/guides I ought to know about? I have all the Kirban books too btw.

What do you guys think of a ratcheting screwdriver, good gear or junk?

Seems like most of you like/use Craftsman...any Kobalt users? Or just opinions on their products? I ask cause Lowes is down the street while Sears, heck I don't even know where there is one around here now that I think about it :confused:

Don't know about Kobalt, but Craftsman has been around for years and if you ever break a Craftsman tool, bring it back and they'll replace it, no questions asked !! I don't know about ratcheting drivers, but if I have a lot of screwing to do, I use my cordless drill to remove screws. Installing screws you must be careful with it though, easy to strip them.

Google is our friend !! Sears near Diamond Bar, CA - Google Maps

Metric and standard set, decent air compressor with some air tools comes in handy. It's a great way to get to know these cars. Congrats and enjoy. :)

LOL you got me there Dabigguy...I just quit going to that part of town cause it became sorta ghetto...musta just blocked it out ;)

Then Lowe's came along and, well, what can I say, I'm a sucker for fancy packaging :biggrin:

Great info here like always!

If you have DEEP pockets, get Snapon. MAC is also a good brand. SK is a good brand. Xcellite is a very good brand, mostly for small tools.

I agree with most of the other board members, Craftsman is a good brand & somewhat easier on the wallet.

Snapon has a toolbox for only $15,000 - empty with no tools in it.

There are times / tools you will need in the Snapon line, however, only get the ones you can't get anywrere else.

Once you acquire an air compressor, you'll never figure out how you managed without it.

Don't forget the most important tools to start out with your GN: For tuning:

(1) Scanmaster

(2) Oil pressure guage

(3) Water temperature guage

(4) Boost/vacuum guage

These are the bare minimun you should start out with just to tune your GN.

All the mods (since you may turn into guys like us.....never satisfied with how fast it is already) will come later. But for now, these are your start out tools for tuning. A well tuned 3.8 turbocharged engine is of utmost importance. Get the thing running like a top first BEFORE you start changing things around. It's important to establish a baseline at tuning for you to work from.

Then....if you find any spare money around (like selling your firstborn:rolleyes:) start with your modifications like most of us do (and because we're never satisfied with how fast they are already)

Be sure to stay on this board for any and all questions you may have on your GN. All the guys here (except for me:redface: I'm dain bramaged) are exceptionally smart in the setup of these rocketships. Then go for it.

Glad you got a Grand National. That's really great. Welcome to the board with it. You're going to love it (do try to get that slab of meat....I WILL come in handy...ask me how I know)

Bruce '87 Grand National