precision dbb 6466

It's true. This is my favorite Buick turbo. It spools like a 62 and makes hp like a 67. You will need to spend some time porting the wastegate hole. It really wants to make boost. Both Hungerbuhler and a customer from AR removed 66mm turbos and picked up a bunch of hp. You can run 10's on pump gas with the right tune. The only downsides are the price (since they only come in BB) and they only come with an S-ported cover.
Cal, how does the 6466 (assume nonstroker engine) compare to DBB6765 ported H cover on a 109 stroker engine? I would assume HP and spoolup is similar?

JP112_89 said:
I would like to see the comparison for spool up. You are the turbo master. I find it hard to believe since the Tnetics P trim uses the smaller exhaust housing even though it has the cast wheel. Same housing, then sure it would outspool the old 6665.. ,

Joe

The 64 cea has a lot more blade surface area than the cast t-netics 66 and the mass flow vs shaft speed is much higher. The 62 cea probably has more than the 66 cast also but I've never cared to compare. The compressor wheel is better suited to run with the cover it comes with. The t-netics cast 66 uses a large exducer and minimizes cover options if looking for pressure and flow. The Garrett cast 66 is yet better than the t-netics 66. Also the later turbines flow better especially at higher shaft speeds and this gives the potential for a lot more mass flow as the engine rpm increases. Ill mention again that the potential of the cea wheels is hardly ever touched upon by members of this forum. Most don't have close to enough engine to do it and the converters they are running aren't going to be able to deal with the power when they start cranking it. Think about it like this. If your mild steel rotating/forged assembly shortblock with iron heads and typical off the shelf as assembled valvetrain runs 10.30-10.40@25psi with a 6466 it will probably run 9.80@32-34psi with more octane/fuel, converter, and tune. A purpose built engine with better heads, more aggressive cam and other supporting components might run 9.80@24-25psi. The compressor and turbine still aren't done though. Further increasing the boost on this purpose built engine to 30-32psi will likely net mid 9 sec potential. Huge difference in mass flow. The cams and converters used in all these applications will differ to get the most out of the turbo the way it's being run. When you go from 10.40 to 9.50 the power will drive into the converter much harder. Trying to run the 10.40 converter with the 9.50 power will result in a very high flash stall. Going the other way and running the 9.50 converter in the 10.40 application will probably drag the engine down too hard and hurt e.t. The 9.50 application will require a lot less wastegating than the 10.40 application.

Thanks for your response!

I just don't think 64mm wheel has the ability to overcome "Spool up time" of the smaller exhaust housing on the P trim Tnetics. Even if it was the older 66 comp wheel. Tighter housing really aids in spool up... PTE .63 is much bigger....

Fyi, I would love to have the PTE 6466BB more than anything. Hope it spools faster than the journal 6262.lol

Joe

Joe

JP112_89 said:
Thanks for your response!

I just don't think 64mm wheel has the ability to overcome "Spool up time" of the smaller exhaust housing on the P trim Tnetics. Even if it was the older 66 comp wheel. Tighter housing really aids in spool up...

You can think or theorize all you want but it will still spool faster even with the precision ex housing on it. If there's a problem spooling a 6262 I'd look for other issues.

;) Man this turbo sounds like an animal. It spools like a 62. All most same hp of a 6766 :)man can't wate. Need to polish the cover first, port puck hole, then off to the dyno:DCal told me about this turbo in the past, more than once. I wish I would have listened to him.

Brian: Will be hammering on my 6265JB pretty soon and it should be peaking out by this summer. Looking at the options for the future and I see 3.

1) 6266CEA with BB. I am owed a favor and can get this as a present.

2) 6466. Same as above. Watched this one since I saw picture of Patrick holding one at a show several years ago.

3) Send you my 6265 and have you reconfigure and rebuild it. It was one of the early models and has been hammered for several years.

As always, I appreciate your time and advice.

Phil Engle

I will ask this for a friend...
Stroker 109 8.5:1
Champion Irons
206/210 Hyd roller cam
2800@0-1psi converter
6262 BB PTE
27 psi pump gas and alky car.
Says its a quick spooling combo but wants more on the top end.
Has a buyer for his turbo and looking to upgrade... 6466 or 6266bb? Which should he buy.
No more than 28 psi, and no track time. This car is a daily driver/weekend warrior.

jasjamz said:
Champion Irons
206/210 Hyd roller cam
2800@0-1psi converter
6262 BB PTE
Has a buyer for his turbo and looking to upgrade... 6466 or 6266bb? Which should he buy.
No more than 28 psi, and no track time. This car is a daily driver/weekend warrior.

MORE top end?? Sounds like a beast of a combo as is.

Cal, I know you say some are skeptical on the 6466. I had a car here with one on it early this week. I expect it to be a monster of a unit for a street car with mild heads. Ported irons and out of the box aluminums are mild IMO. It does whack the wallet and has not been given a chance to really show what it can do in the Buick community. The fact that it is only available ball bearing is still odd to me but out of our control. Still in all, the modest boost levels here, tighter budgets and minimal data on the 6466 will keep it sheltered for another year or so in my opinion.

MORE top end?? Sounds like a beast of a combo as is.
He has sent me logs, it really is!! But when you get use to it and want more up top with out adding boost (5-psi) What is one to do?
I would like to see him get the 6466 0ver the 6266bb. But I would hate to see him lose the spool up it has. I know it will spool a little slower but how much is an $1800 gamble!

jasjamz said:
Champion Irons
206/210 Hyd roller cam
2800@0-1psi converter
6262 BB PTE

I'd look into more cam/spring and more turbo. Even just a switch to the larger turbine would allow that 62cea to really shine. It's hard to say what wanting more top end means to someone else. That car should have 10.50 power easily the way it is now.

jasjamz said:
But when you get use to it and want more up top with out adding boost (5-psi) What is one to do?

Raise the effective operating rpm. Even 300-400rpm would increase mass flow a bunch if the turbine wasn't a limiting factor.

jasjamz said:
Champion Irons
206/210 Hyd roller cam
2800@0-1psi converter
6262 BB PTE

My customer greyghost on this board ran 10.52 on radials his first trip to the track with that combination

jasjamz said:
Cal, I know you say some are skeptical on the 6466. (Snip)
Still in all, the modest boost levels here, tighter budgets and minimal data on the 6466 will keep it sheltered for another year or so in my opinion.

I hope so. I like for my customers to have every advantage j/k

Champion Irons
206/210 Hyd roller cam
2800@0-1psi converter
6262 BB PTE

That seems like a really small cam for a stroker.
I have that basic combination in my car with a stock stroke motor.
I am waiting to test some new turbos. (accepting donations...LOL)