My E85 Fuel System Build - Thoughts?

another nice filter is from jegs. its there store brand. it is 12" long and has -10 or -8 fittings on both sides. the filter is anodized but comes with a 10 micron paper filter. you have to buy the replacement 40 micron ss filter element seperately. dont know why that cant sell it like that. it says it can support 1000+ hp with meth or eth. can be had all for under $70 if i recall. i have been using that setup for a year now.. btw....dont know why the site and the keyboard on my droid are not automatically capitalizing my sentences and spell check isnt working. hmmmm. also will not let me start a new paragraph. at least the commas are working lol

toss the Fram filter and replace it with a Wix 33900R and it will filter down to 5.9 microns

That seems like it would be restrictive, THRLSKR's thought process is based on the fact the injector baskets are 40 microns....and the fact with all my arm-twisting, he won't forego the double pumpers for a Weldon :biggrin:

It flows what it's rated at (1.5 gpm):confused:, the fact that it will catch "dirt" down to 5.9 microns tells me that it will filter the fuel better than most. I thought the injector basket was 10 microns, hence the problem finding a filter that will flow enough fuel at the higher pressures (+70psi it's rated to 150psi) and filter down to a minimum of 10 microns (rated @ 5.9 microns).:biggrin:

Fuel system components from race parts and frozen boost including the PTFE hose. Still have to order the FP regulator, injectors, and filter.

Fuel1.jpg
Fuel2.jpgFuel3.jpg

Looks a lot like my set up I am going with the new racetronics stainless hanger with AN fittings it comes with -8 feed -6 return. I’m using a DW pump. I got the generic Teflon house from AN fitting direct. I am running -8 to a speed way filter to a summit racing y block then duel feeding my custom made fuel rails with -6 then I run -6 return to a Kerbans external fuel filter then -6 back to the tank. I also have a KB boosta pump on standby incase I needed it.

how do you like the quality of the hose? is it thick enough not to worry about rubbing a hole in it?

Hose quality looks good to me. Nice stainless braid and thick PTFE core. Not as bendable as traditional rubber hose but if you have the right fittings it should not be a problem.

I'm planing to use Jegs pro-flo hose. It's methanol / gasoline compatible. It'll be fine with e85.

make sure to try Gates submersible hose, for your pumper , supposed to be methanol and upto e100 compatible

I'm planing to use Jegs pro-flo hose. It's methanol / gasoline compatible. It'll be fine with e85.

Used this myself.

Went with a Aeromotive 40 micron filter pre-pump. I use a 60 micron SS filter-funnel from Kinsler when I put in my E85. I use a 25 micron SS element before the Y at the front of the engine. I've yet to see a 25 micron SS filter flow as much as the filter from Kinsler. It was also tested to 160gph, you could still smell the gas from when they tested it :D

how do you like the quality of the hose? is it thick enough not to worry about rubbing a hole in it?

I got about 75% of the way done yesterday on my dual-feed setup using the Frozenboost "ptfe" hose....It's not nearly as friendly on bends as regular braided hose, it kinks very easily so extra fittings are required. If I wasn't running E85 i wouldnt use this stuff personally. The one good thing is it's OD is small so it fits in tight spaces, you can almost run 2 -8 lines in the space of 1 -10 traditional braided use to be (thats what i did). On a side note...my rails & injectors (champion - non andonized) looked fine inside with around 2 years of E85 flowing through them.

I got about 75% of the way done yesterday on my dual-feed setup using the Frozenboost "ptfe" hose....It's not nearly as friendly on bends as regular braided hose, it kinks very easily so extra fittings are required. If I wasn't running E85 i wouldnt use this stuff personally. The one good thing is it's OD is small so it fits in tight spaces, you can almost run 2 -8 lines in the space of 1 -10 traditional braided use to be (thats what i did). On a side note...my rails & injectors (champion - non andonized) looked fine inside with around 2 years of E85 flowing through them.

Bob - I hope you're ready for a second time around with the PTFE on my car in a few weeks! To Bob's credit the stuff is a PITA to bend or shape for tight spaces underhood. Be curious to hear about the Jegs pro flow.

Going to order the Kinsler filter tomorrow: Mega Monster Mesh 25 SS

http://www.kinsler.com/handbook163.html

Monster Mesh will be fine for the filter. That's what they recommended me, and my fuel pump flows 220gph@80psi

So unless you plan to flow more than that, I'd save the money :D

Bob - I hope you're ready for a second time around with the PTFE on my car in a few weeks! To Bob's credit the stuff is a PITA to bend or shape for tight spaces underhood. Be curious to hear about the Jegs pro flow.

Going to order the Kinsler filter tomorrow: Mega Monster Mesh 25 SS

http://www.kinsler.com/handbook163.html

More parts arrived today from Racetronix and race parts:

Flow matched 120s and magna fuel regulator MP-9925-B.

The fuel filter from Kinsler is on order and should be here by end of week - not cheap but service was good and they provided additional info around the micron sizing with regards to their e85 experience.

I'm going to take pictures and document the fuel system install with Firechaser...just have to make sure his fridge is well stocked with Miller:cool:

Attachments

• Injector_1.JPG
    Injector_1.JPG
    153.2 KB · Views: 152
  • Regulator_1.JPG
    Regulator_1.JPG
    126.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Regulator_2.JPG
    Regulator_2.JPG
    137.1 KB · Views: 151
What info did they give about micron sizing and e85?

Is that regulator a -6/-6/-6?

What info did they give about micron sizing and e85?

Is that regulator a -6/-6/-6?

Its more about total flow of the filter than micron, so to speak. They recommend filtering the fuel before it enters your tank (ie-funnel filter) then a 40 micron pre-pump, and a 25 micron as close to the fuel rails as possible.

They recommended that with E85 you will still want to flush your system after usage to keep the lines from having any detrimental affects than ethanol can present.

Its more about total flow of the filter than micron, so to speak. They recommend filtering the fuel before it enters your tank (ie-funnel filter) then a 40 micron pre-pump, and a 25 micron as close to the fuel rails as possible.

They recommended that with E85 you will still want to flush your system after usage to keep the lines from having any detrimental affects than ethanol can present.

A 40 micron pre pump will put some stress on the pump. But your going to run a double pumper right. Wonder what the micron size is on the walbro pump filter. Whats the total flow on the filter you got from thwm? The filter I have flows 300gph. As for flushing the system, the ptfe is pretty stought line I dont see anyone having issues unless your trying to put 500,000+ Miles on the car

A 40 micron pre pump will put some stress on the pump. But your going to run a double pumper right. Wonder what the micron size is on the walbro pump filter. Whats the total flow on the filter you got from thwm? The filter I have flows 300gph. As for flushing the system, the ptfe is pretty stought line I dont see anyone having issues unless your trying to put 500,000+ Miles on the car

No, it won't, provided the filter will flow enough. It is all about total flow of the filter, not the micron size, necessarily. Again, I don't work there, but you can call Justin@Kinsler and he could explain it to you better than I ever will.

They work with Sprint/Methanol cars all the time, so I trust their judgement when it comes to these things. Plus they can flow pumps/injectors/etc. so I got an actual flow sheet of my pump (It was from Weldon, but Kinsler can still flow it if you so desire... mine flows 22gph more than what its rated, too :D talk about customer service!!!!)

The filter I have is their Monster Mesh, I believe. I forget the gph, but the total surface area is far superior then what I have seen elsewhere. If you look on their site, or call them, they could let you know. All I know is they wanted me to have as minimal restriction as possible, so the filter I got would cause little-to-no (of course there will always be *some* restriction) hindrance of flow for the fuel. its about 5x7 externally, I believe.

What pump did you get? Did they flow it using gas or E85? How much did it flow?

I agree about surface area of the filter. What does Weldon want as for pre filter size on their pump?