My E85 Fuel System Build - Thoughts?

What pump did you get? Did they flow it using gas or E85? How much did it flow?

I agree about surface area of the filter. What does Weldon want as for pre filter size on their pump?

2345A :D Weldon flowed it. Justin at Kinsler pulled all the pumps off the shelf and hooked it up with the one that flows the most. Mine flows 222gph@14v....22gph more than a normal 2345A... aww yeaaa.

Flowed it with gas@weldon, I believe. I had so many companies say so many different numbers.. I figured 60 for a funnel-filter, 40 pre-pump, and 25 pre-rails is about as good as you will get. Filtered 3 times and very fine at that.

I am thinking of running a 100 micron between my fuel cell and the weldon to take place of a fuel sock...sound good to you guys? Here's a pick of the -12 coming out of the cell that will feed the -12 side on the Weldon 2035...took a pic next to a -8 fitting :eek:

Attachments

• GetAttachment.jpg
    GetAttachment.jpg
    6.7 KB · Views: 126
Wow...i just read the post before mine...I guess 100 micron is too much, i would have figured 40 micron would have stressed the pump but were running very similar pumps! Forget my question.

run a 100mic before the pump so it doesnt have to strain to prime , with e85 40mic after , if it was gas you could run a 10micron after the pump

What info did they give about micron sizing and e85?

Is that regulator a -6/-6/-6?

Kinsler recommended the 25 micron before the Y and thought the 45 was not a good option with e85.

The regulator is 8/8/6 from Magna Fuel...their bigger regulator is 8/8/8.

aeromotive says to run a 100 pre pump on their pumps. . Also to run as fine as a filter post pump as you can. the smaller the micron you can get the better. Your not going to hurt anything running a 3 micron post filter if it can flow 300gph IMOP. Also a water seperation filter would be great. Just make sure you keep a eye pre and post filter pressure to see when the media is getting dirty

run a 100mic before the pump so it doesnt have to strain to prime , with e85 40mic after , if it was gas you could run a 10micron after the pump

I would buy the 30$ funnel-filter from Kinsler as added insurance when filling your cell. Its a 60 micron SS element. Then run a 40 pre-pump. 25SS before the Y.

Makes no sense to run a filter pre and post (immediately) pump... if you have a filter before the rails, it is going to catch whatever comes out of the pump, and hopefully the filter pre-pump caught whatever could potentially go in, in the first place. Its a waste of money. So what if your pump takes a crap? You have a filter down the line to catch it anyway.

I only have 2 filters in my system, but my fuel is filtered 3 times, all very fine. 60, then stepped to 40, then to 25. I talked with Justin @ Kinsler and he said this was quite sufficient for my setup, especially with all the potential for fuel flow I have.

aeromotive says to run a 100 pre pump on their pumps. . Also to run as fine as a filter post pump as you can. the smaller the micron you can get the better. Your not going to hurt anything running a 3 micron post filter if it can flow 300gph IMOP. Also a water seperation filter would be great. Just make sure you keep a eye pre and post filter pressure to see when the media is getting dirty

I agree with the gph flow of the filter element being the important factor, not the actual media size. However I think 25 micron is the smallest made that will flow enough for serious power, for E85/Methanol cars.

I spent a lot of time on the phone with Justin at Kinsler, and I'm of the belief that the aeromotive filter I have pre-pump and the Kinsler filter pre-Y, will give me the least amount of pressure increase in the lines. I never knew this (and I'm sure this is common knowledge to a lot of you) but the pump sees much higher (depending on how little restriction you have in your lines) pressure than what you read at the fuel rails.

So when I was planning my system I needed to make sure I had more than adequate flow (-10 feed to dual -8's) minimal 90degree fittings, and if there had to be, it was a smooth tubular 90 bend. The filters had to flow more than enough for the pump, and my pump had to flow more than what I needed at 10psi higher than what I was going to be needing.

So I wanted to run 30psi of boost, so 45base+30psi boost= 75psi at the pump "theoretically", and I needed around 190gph at that pressure. So I looked for a pump that flowed 200gph @ 85-90psi. Which is why I went with the Weldon, and why Justin at Kinsler is the MAN for hooking it up with one that flows well above the normal. at 16.5v it flows over 266gph :D

Seriously, I learned more on the phone with Kinsler in terms of what I truly needed then a lot of reading on here-because you get a lot of personal opinions, so I went into it thinking I needed 3 filters and -12 line and all this other jazz. I saved a lot of money for just a few minutes on the phone with those guys. Their customer service is the best I've ever encountered.

RobbMc fuel filter... alky ok , 300psi , 200gph , 10 micron element . 1/2" npt ports , part #1073

200gph might not be enough for some setups. For his setup it,wont work

Now I'm lost, why wouldn't it work for his set up ? He said he needed 190gph @ 85-90 psi. .

Last edited:
Now I'm lost, why wouldn't it work for his set up ? He said he needed 190gpm @ 85-90 psi. .
You want your fuel filter to flow well above and beyond what your pump is capable of. Reason being is that you do not want it to be a potential restriction.

Kinda like if your heads flow 200cfm, do you buy the intake manifold that flows 200cfm, or the one that flows 250? you buy the one that flows 250 so that its not a potential restriction (this is not the best analogy, but I hope you get my point)

With fuel systems you want as little restriction as possible. So something that is *just* enough will not cut it. What happens if he were to have a few 90deg bends in the system, so now there is even more restrictions for the pump. So even though that filter will flow 200gph (and again, how did they test it, with what fuel, at what pressure...) when yo are flowing 200gph of fuel, when you add in the other restrictions in the line, that filter could now be a possible restriction itself.

You also need to look at what fuel was used, and at what pressure the filter flowed. There are many 10 micron SS filters out there, but they are for carbs (3-10psi) not EFI. If you were to use one of those filters on your engine, it would be bad-news-bears... So the filter needs to flow well above and beyond what the pump is capable of.

FWIW- The regular Monster Mesh filter from Kinsler has 74 square inches of media.

Understand now, that RobbMc filter was for efi, their 40 micron flowed 400gph.

Understand now, that RobbMc filter was for efi, their 40 micron flowed 400gph.
They both are stainless steel elements?

What pressure did it flow 400gph? I know you said the other 10 micron filter was tested to 300psi, but what pressure did it flow the 200gph at, 300, or a lower pressure?

They don't list x flow @ x pressure, just max numbers . I got the info from thier website robbmcperformance.com

hes at 222gph on his pump at that is at 75psi IIRC. it will flow more then that at idle.