running E85 w/91 oct chip

6gunn

high on gas fumes
I have a chip for running 91 octane and alky, but am curious if I can run E85 on this chip without having to have an E85 specific chip burnt. The motor has 124lb injectors that the previous owner ran E85 with, 8an feed/6an return Racetronix fuel lines, and a 525lph Hellcat fuel pump. Thanks.

It seems I’ve read you can run 91 octane gas with an E85 chip ONLY IN AN EMERGENCY with no more than 0 lbs boost just to get you to an E85 fillup.

The current setup is making good power, but after a recent scare due to a faulty(low pressure) alky pump, I thought it might be time to start looking into running E85. Thanks for the feedback.

I agree with the above. Why risk it?

Cost of a new chip/reburn is way cheaper than a motor rebuild. Not to mention 91 octane is way different than 100+octane E85.

I would put a wideband O2 sensor and a TT 6.1 wideband chip burned for E85 . Eric's chips are pretty close with the tune . I ran low 10's with his E85 6.1 chip & AEM inline O2 sensor inputted to the Powerlogger .

I think I'll get an E85 chip from TT and see how I like it. I've never ran E85, so I'm curious as to how the motor will behave. The previous owner of my setup made 597rwhp@29psi with E85, and although it might make close to that with my 91/alky chip(dual nozzle)...I'd feel better not having to rely on a pump to determine whether the motor lives or not. The latest scare was a freshly rebuilt alky pump(built by me) deciding to lose pressure during a quick 20ish psi blast. Got a pop with black smoke out the tailpipes and the motor started missing. Ended up cracking and separating the porcelain on #1 which caused a miss. New plug(non projected MR43T) and compression check on all 6 and new pump from my other car, and all was well...dodged a bullet.

Attachments

• 20231219_102629.jpg
    20231219_102629.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 42
With Eric's wideband chip and O2 sensor targeting a A/F ratio your car will run great . I had zero problems on first start up and drivability .
Here's a picture of why I switched from alky injection with a bad pump to E85 .

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231219-120236_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20231219-120236_Gallery.jpg
    870.4 KB · Views: 38
With Eric's wideband chip and O2 sensor targeting a A/F ratio your car will run great . I had zero problems on first start up and drivability .

Holy fkn shit! That pic gave me chills. /speechless
*edit* Is that part of the valve that's embedded in the piston top? Damn...

I've been ridiculed on here for stating using alky injection without some kind of monitoring and automatic fail-safe if the pump fails or you run out of methanol is asking for trouble. You found the trouble.

The kits that use the stock coolant overflow bottle to hold the methanol inside the engine bay right next to the hottest part of the engine are also a giant fire waiting to happen.

Switching to E85 or (even better) full flex capability is the way.

Is that part of the valve that's embedded in the piston top? Damn...
Yes . On a side note , I have 5 good JE pistons & 1 ported head if anyone needs them !!

Attachments

• DSCN0138.JPG
    DSCN0138.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 25
  • DSCN0144.JPG
    DSCN0144.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 27
Last edited:
If e85 is available in your area I would get Eric's e85 chip and never run regular gas again. Among other benefits, the tuning window is wider and thus more forgiving. Since your car has an alky kit already on it, you could spray a water/meth mix with a small nozzle on top of it and probably never see KR again.

If e85 is available in your area I would get Eric's e85 chip and never run regular gas again. Among other benefits, the tuning window is wider and thus more forgiving. Since your car has an alky kit already on it, you could spray a water/meth mix with a small nozzle on top of it and probably never see KR again.

Just ordered an E85 chip from TT and found a local station that sells it. Funny...it's the same price as what I was paying for methanol. Can't wait to get the car up and running on E85! :love:

Thinking about doing the same thing. Are you running a modified ecm to drive the bigger injectors?