My E85 Fuel System Build - Thoughts?

thrlskr

Decided to convert my car over to E85 this winter as it's available within 20 miles of my house and local buddy (Firechaser) is running it with great results on his S2.

Trying to do this on a modest budget with my existing pump/tank but realize that the best route would be a fuel cell and external pump (Weldon).

My plan:
- Reds Double w/ XP Pumps w/ reliefs modified
- 10AN / 6AN AN fitting welded on the Hanger sender/return
- 10AN Feed to 40 Micron Stainless Filter (Using Frozen Boost PTFE fuel lines)
- 10AN from Filter to Mangafuel Y Block (8AN out)
- 8AN Dual Fed to Rails
- Chamption Annodized Rails (8AN fittings on the rails)
- Precision flow matched 120s (Concern was idle quality over 160s)
- 8AN out of rails to Magnafuel external regulator
- 6AN out of the regulator returning to the tank (Factory tank on my 38K GN)

The PTFE lines are lined with off-brand teflon and are compatible w/ ethanol and methanol. Running all AN fittings from Fragola and Frozen Boost. I've got an autometer FP gauge on the hood, wideband and caspers knock gauges in the car.

Hoping this set-up fuels enough to take me in 9's at 25lbs of boost and 137-140 in the quarter. Also, my car is 33xxlbs with me in it.

Anything I missed?

Thanks,

Bill

sounds like a good setup, i don't think its nessary to weld and run a -10 up to the Y Block. Just weld a -8 and run that the entire way and a -6 return

What pre filter you looking at? post filter?

prefilter is the socks on the pumps

going to need an inline -10AN 40micron stainless element filter near the Y block

may not even be an issue but ..my one concern would be the rubber fuel lines in the tank that red used to run the two pumps to the brass Y on the hanger.

prefilter is the socks on the pumps

going to need an inline -10AN 40micron stainless element filter near the Y block

may not even be an issue but ..my one concern would be the rubber fuel lines in the tank that red used to run the two pumps to the brass Y on the hanger.

ment inline filter before the Y block. was thinking pre Y filter

I've ordered a 40 micron 10AN stainless filter which will be right before the Y block. I'm going to mount the Y block across from the cross over pipe.

When I pull the pump for the AN fittings I'll replace the rubber on the pump.

I'm working on spec'ing mine too. I'm planning to weld 2 90 degree fittings on the hanger for supply, then connect the hoses outside the tank with a Y-block and run a single line up the engine.

Was considering dual -6 feeds Y'd into a -8 feed to the rail, but also considering stepping it up to dual -8 feeds Y'd into a -10 going up to the rail.

Will the Wix 24003 work for this application ? This filter was mentioned in one of the stickys and no one said anything about it.

That's what I didn't see .... Too good to be true!

In the $40 range is pretty good. Maybe someone can bench test one to see.

For the price it might be worth it to try a prolonged pressure test . Hmmm, I do work for a GM fuel injector & manifold build plant. Food for thought.

I just got off of the phone with Wix filters and they said that their 33900R filter which goes in a Fram HPG1 canister IS E85 , alcohol , methanol compatible because it is in their racing filters catagory. :biggrin: So get the Fram HPG1 filter housing , toss the Fram filter and replace it with a Wix 33900R and it will filter down to 5.9 microns @ 90gph @ 150psi.:eek: $41.95 for the filter canister and $4.95 for the filter through Summit