Handgun recommendations for a First time Female Shooter

Here are a couple of articles on the M&P.
http://www.gunblast.com/SW_MP.htm
http://www.handgunsmag.com/2010/09/24/featured_handguns_swmp_032906/

Sounds like it shoots just fine, but that is one ugly gun.

How well did the G/F do in racking the slide & operating the controls? Many women have trouble getting a good grip on the slide & have trouble pulling it back far enough.

~JM~
Really?? you think its ugly?? I like it!! Thats how I feel about the revolvers JM haha.. I obviously did a nice run thru with her before we shot. Some of the Glock mags where new and they were a harder for her to engage the slide to chamber a round. But she was able to lockout the slide and drop the clip and put in another one , So Id say she did pretty well for never firing a handgun..( Ill take some credit for that, I did force her to watch multiple video's with me ) Only problem I could see if that her grip wasnt firm enough, the gun its self was moving to much not the gun and her hands. I tried telling her but she went to what she was comfortable with. But thatsonly negative I could find . But again first time handling a handgun she did very well..

This thread needs a new title. It's not really about what's best for a new female shooter. It's more about what gun can I buy that is either chambered in 9mm or 40 cal so I can hang out with my cop buddies.

You have had several folks recommend a revolver for her, but you are ignoring those responses. Have you even checked pricing on revolvers? Its been a while since I looked, but for a while there you could pick up a service gun in the $150 to $250 range. That was when all the cop shops were trading their revolvers for autoloaders. With carefull shopping you could pick up two revolvers for the price of one of the newest wonder-guns. Two guns of the same type stashed in your house is better than one. You mentioned the Judge revolver. I looked into one of those for my Grandfather. I decided that it was too big & clumsy for pocket carry. The action wasn't that great & I hear that they kick like a mule on both ends. Not very good for anything other than self defense. The carbine that they have built around the Judge is a joke. What the hell is this gun good for?

~JM~

This thread needs a new title. It's not really about what's best for a new female shooter. It's more about what gun can I buy that is either chambered in 9mm or 40 cal so I can hang out with my cop buddies.

You have had several folks recommend a revolver for her, but you are ignoring those responses. Have you even checked pricing on revolvers? Its been a while since I looked, but for a while there you could pick up a service gun in the $150 to $250 range. That was when all the cop shops were trading their revolvers for autoloaders. With carefull shopping you could pick up two revolvers for the price of one of the newest wonder-guns. Two guns of the same type stashed in your house is better than one. You mentioned the Judge revolver. I looked into one of those for my Grandfather. I decided that it was too big & clumsy for pocket carry. The action wasn't that great & I hear that they kick like a mule on both ends. Not very good for anything other than self defense. The carbine that they have built around the Judge is a joke. What the hell is this gun good for?

~JM~
I never ignored anyones recommendations, If even I did, its why they are called recommendations also know as there own opionon. call it what you want JM . Your obviously biased towards revolvers. So be it. I have checked out revolvers and shot revolvers. I dont like them period. If you read my posts through this thread I decided that since its against the law in my state for her to actually possess my firearm in her residence , So Im trying to find a gun the suits her so she can shoot with me when I go, But in the end its gotta be something I can shoot even when or if we arnt togethe.bc in the end its going to be MY gun. if you dont like the thread , stay the hell outta it plain and simple JM . I didnt ask you to be a D*ck did I? I asked for recommendations/opinions. You gave yours which was a revolver, leave it at that. Just bc I dont want what you recommend gives you the right to be a smartass? Ill get any gun or any chamber I want. And its damn sure not to go handout with my cop buddies. Just bc I dont want you recommendation you get to be a D*ck? I did say that before I think didnt I. You said your peice , I said mine.

After gettin criticized about not wanting to take recommendations, I went to the gun range again this weekend and I shot a revolver. the S&W 686 .357/.38. the gf wasnt able to join me . But WOW. Im impressed with the 686. they had the 7rd cylnder. I must say I love it. I was alway biased to revolvers being 5rds and if your lucky 6rds. But 7rds is a nice happy medium for me. the weight of the gun, makes its it very accurate. They had the 4" barrel. I had a 3" group at 20 yds. thats not great, but for me its pretty good, cause Im still getting used to my grip. But after more reasearch the 686 is out of my price range right now I got prices from 620 up to almos 700. Just a little too much right now. Any other 7rd .357 revolvers out there priced under 600??

The "DICK" knows the answer to your questions.

~JM~
I may have jumped the gun, but you obviously got offended when I said I didnt like the way revolvers look,( which after shooting the 686 4", Im actually reaaally liking them) And you came out with your lil rant.. So be it . Ive shot a revolver years ago, like 8 yrs ago, it was some 2" nose .38 and i hated it. I found the Taurus 66 4" .357 mag comes with 7rd cyl and is only 370.00bucks

I was going to recommend that you look at the Taurus line. They have an 8 shot 357 on their large frame. It may be too large for your G/F's hands though & deffinately not very concealable.

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=265&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=TS2

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=249&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=LF2

http://www.taurususa.com/product-details.cfm?id=278&category=Revolver&toggle=tr&breadcrumbseries=MF2

Of course you didn't like shooting a small framed snubbie, they're very difficult to shoot with most original wood grips. The grip is just too small. The small framed Taurus models have a nice rubber grip & a better sight picture than the S&W counterpart.

One or more of those models listed above have ported barrels to reduce muzzle climb/recoil. Some people love the ports, some don't. The 357 magnum is unuasully loud for its size to begin with. The ports make it even louder.

J&G Sales out of Arizona used to have several great deals on Police trade in revolvers. http://www.jgsales.com/ I just checked their page & it looks like the supply is drying up. The do offer the S&W Model 66 at $469.95 which is damn near double from when I last looked many years ago.

Will you be joining a Gun Club or Shooting Range? If so, try to find one that offers FFL transfers for its members. Once you have located an FFL holder that is willing to process a transfer for you, then you can shop & mail order whatever you find. FFL transfer fee's vary so it pays to shop around.

Signed
The "DICK"

You may also want to look into the availability of Speed-Loaders for the 7 & 8 shooters. It's nice to have a Speed-Loader or 2.

But in the end its gotta be something I can shoot

Ah, the truth finally comes out!!!

If you want to get her a gun, get HER a gun. If it comes down to your girlfriend protecting herself (who has never fired a gun before) your best option is a revolver. Nothing is simpler than pointing and pulling a trigger.

Unless she makes the range trips, there is no sense in getting her an automatic that she must manipulate the slide, find the safety and know what to do if a malfunction occurs all under the stress of an intruder in the house.

I knew a State Trooper years ago whose wife was home alone with a guy trying to kick her door down. She racked the slide on the Glock and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. She racked the slide again, and pulled the trigger. Nothing happened. It turned out she couldn't pull the slide back far enough to chamber a round. She was trying to fire through the door at him.

It turned out to be a drunk college kid thinking he was at his own house trying to get in the door.

Something I forgot is a NJ seller you may have near you. Look up Sarco inc online. They deal is surplus toys and parts, but are moving their store to PA for obvious reasons.:rolleyes: They have all kinds of toys including police trade ins so you might be able to pick something up very resonable.:)

JM thanks for the recommondations hope we can put the BS aside. I do like the 608 Taurus. I have located FFL delers around my area some uptl 50 bucks per gun plus NICS check. No thanks you. I found a guy who only charges the cost of the NICS check which is I beleive $16.10, o about 32 bucks and change for a transfer. I was honestly looking for the .357 for myself. After shooting that big heavy 686.. Felt great for me. I also located some speed reloaders on Gunbroker and some other sites.. thanks again.
GUESS- after further looking into it, Its illegal for me to let her borrow a handgun under my name and address ,and let it reside in hers I believe. So thats where it comes down to being something we both enjoy. Shes going to file for her own ID card and buy herself a nice 20 gauge shotgun, so I can get her into hunting as well, and load it up with birdshot at night. I have taken her to the range and she has shot the Glock 17 and M&Pc 9mm. 50 rds in each gun. She liked the M&P as did I, bc she couldnt get her hand around the glock handle, was just too big of a circumfrence, she was reaching for the trigger. Shes is well capable of setting the mag and engaging the slide, I even showed her how to break it down. But I figured with getting a .357 I will mostly be shooting .38 outta it And she can shoot that as well. Jut soo many damn decisions and things tolook at. I thought trying to buy a Buick was bad.. ha

Contrary to what you may believe I'm not 100% revolver guy. If the gun was for only your use, I'd say go for an autoloader if that's what you really wanted & were willing to put the time in. It's because you need to share the gun is why I'm recommending a D/A revolver. As you saw the other day, its a very intuitive tool. Shooting 3" groups out of a new gun before a box of 50rds is up is pretty cool!

~JM~

Usually you can't lend firearms. I don't know what the rules are about guns as gifts would be in your area.

People forget things all the time. You really shouldn't forget your gun bag at your G/F's house at the end of the day, but its plausible.

~JM~

Yeah shes already filled out the app's to get her own Longgun/shotgun purchaser's permit. We were checking out the 1187 and 870 remingtons in 20 gauge's tonight at Dick's. She likes the 870. She still needs to handle and shoot some more firearms till im actually comfortable with her own her own. But shes impressed me so far. She outshoots most of my buddies that I take to the range .

Contrary to what you may believe I'm not 100% revolver guy. If the gun was for only your use, I'd say go for an autoloader if that's what you really wanted & were willing to put the time in. It's because you need to share the gun is why I'm recommending a D/A revolver. As you saw the other day, its a very intuitive tool. Shooting 3" groups out of a new gun before a box of 50rds is up is pretty cool!

~JM~
Yeah I was pretty stoked with how I shot. Im finally figure it all out. Cant wait to send more lead down range!!

I love the 686. I have a 4-inch 6 round model 686 myself. I carried a 681 when I was a police reservist. The 681 has a fixed rear sight. It had a nice trigger job. I could hit anything with it. Wish I still had it.

I picked up a used 6rd 686 out of a pawn shop about 12 years ago for $250. I am still looking for a Model 66 at a reasonable price. Seeings how the #66 is one of the top sellers I doubt that my reasonable price will ever come around. I also keep an eye open for the Ruger Security Six models. I really like the one that I have & trust it like no other. http://www.chuckhawks.com/ruger_security_six.htm Contrary to what the story says, a fine trigger pull can be had with a simple de-burring of parts & a Wolffe gun spring kit.

EDIT: Add Gun Broker Link
http://www.gunbroker.com/All/BI.aspx?Keywords=ruger+security+six

~JM~

The 686 L-frame revolver is in my opinion the best fullsize .357 revolver on the market today. I love my 4" 686 SSR, the trigger is really smooth and it is very accurate and also has an adjustable rear sight. I have seen some 686's used in good condition for $550-$600 which IMO is a good price considering it is a S&W. Having said that if you are looking for a cheaper alternative I would personally stear clear of Taurus. Check out the Ruger GP-100. They are cheaper than the S&W, but still a good quality piece. They are built like tanks and can take many rounds of full power Magnum loads. The only downside to them IMO is the trigger is not as nice as the S&W, however, you can buy the Wolff springs to improve the trigger pull or have a good gunsmith do a trigger job and take care of that.

The 686 L-frame revolver is in my opinion the best fullsize .357 revolver on the market today. I love my 4" 686 SSR, the trigger is really smooth and it is very accurate and also has an adjustable rear sight. I have seen some 686's used in good condition for $550-$600 which IMO is a good price considering it is a S&W. Having said that if you are looking for a cheaper alternative I would personally stear clear of Taurus. Check out the Ruger GP-100. They are cheaper than the S&W, but still a good quality piece. They are built like tanks and can take many rounds of full power Magnum loads. The only downside to them IMO is the trigger is not as nice as the S&W, however, you can buy the Wolff springs to improve the trigger pull or have a good gunsmith do a trigger job and take care of that.
Thanks Brick, ill check out the Ruger. I been reading alot bout having small problems with Taurus and not being able to close the clynder with a full 7 or 8 rds, other users have sent it back to taurus and dgot it fixed for free and worked liked a gem after that. Im looking at a price range of 500 and below. So the S&W is outta my range for right now.

Setting your sights on a revolver that holds more than 6rds limits your choices dramatically. If you can live with a 6-shooter there are a lot of options available in your price range. Every revolver manufacturer offers a medium frame 357.

I was looking at that 8rd Taurus that's built on the large frame. That's a big & heavy 357. It share's the same outside dimensions of the 44mag, but has smaller holes such as the cylinder bores & the barrel. That leaves more steel behind & makes for a heavier handgun than the 44 counterpart. This looks like a very difficult revolver to conceal & will require a strong holster & dedicated gun belt to support the weight.

Next chance you have, ask your local gun-pusher to show you a medium framed 357 & see how that comes to hand, etc.

How big is your G/F? (Any pics you can share? ;)) I just bought a Remington 870 compact youth model 20 guage for my G/F to start shooting TRAP with. It comes with an 18.5" barrel & a shortened black synthetic stock. MY G/F is about 5'4" & petite. This shotgun fits her fairly well for an off the shelf shotgun. I decided to start her with a pump instead of the autoloader. Once again its simpler to operate & make safe. If you decide to go autoloader you may want to look at the Remington 1100 vs. the 1187. The 1100 has a better track record.

~JM~
Wish I new as much about TR's as I do about firearms.