Handgun recommendations for a First time Female Shooter

Honestly, the best thing to do is to take her to a gun store and/or better yet one that has an indoor gun range and rent some guns to see which one she likes best before she makes a purchase. That way she can see which one is most comfortable in her hand and if it's a semi-auto you need to be sure she can rack the slide without a problem as well as do a basic field strip. If the gun is too complicated for her to operate or it's not comfortable in her hand it's better you know that before she spends her money. Secondly, shoot the gun and make sure she is proficient enough with it so that she has confidence in it in the event she needs to use it.

Having said all that, my personal suggestion if you are dead set on a 9mm would be to check out the Sig Sauer P239 in either DAK or DA/SA. The 9mm round is no slouch as some would have you believe, especially if we are talking about some good quality SD ammo like a 147gr +P JHP.

i currently have 115gr fmj just because its left over from some target practice.. i think 86 brick gave good info.. oh... he's from Florida ofcourse he gives good info.. lol get ready to dish out that overtime money for that SIG lol...

I shouldnt have emphasized on the home protection thing that much b/c we have always talked about getting into hobbies together. And I always wanted her to get into shooting. So this little incident, Just moticated her more to want to know how to operate and shoot a firearm. She wasn't scared to the point of not being able to sleep, the alarm went off and guy took off. But she says she feels helpless. Its her mother and grandmother in the house and 2 small dogs. I have the confidence and ability to teach her proper mechanics. I just never owned a pistol in NJ bc getting a liscense for a pistol is a whole diff permitand there void after 90days. Whether she has the balls to pull the trigger or not depends on the situation. I personally wouldnt feel comfortable shooting someone. Jus bc I have a shotgun by my bedside, doesnt mean Im going to blow someones head off. Engaging a round in the chamber is my first attempt. Then a warning shot. Then worst comes to worse aiming and shooting it. If a pistol by her bedside is going to make her sleep better at night knowing she has protection. Im all about it. She will NOT have that gun thats in MY name unless she is qaulified to use it. Im a member of a gun club that has training courses and we plan for us both to attend just because.
I live in Gloucester County, NJ Brian.. I shoot at South Jersey Shooting Range in Winslow , NJ . i believe Bergen County is a nice ride up the TP from me, Im not sure. I need to find somewheres , where Im able to shoot different guns. but by just browsing and listening to Hickok45. I think a Glock 26 and 27 would be great guns for us. Im not into the Sigs they feel too beefy to me. And plus their a nice chunk of change even used.

Different strokes for different folks. I had a 2nd gen Glock19 as my first handgun and while it was super reliable (1100 rounds with zero malfunctions), I did not like the weird grip angle or the trigger. I have big hands so my SIG P226 feels great in my hand, but like I said everyone is different. The Glocks are hard to beat out of the box for the price, but I would also consider the S&W M&P models as well as the Springfield XDs.

For home protection i would say screw the handgun and get a semi-shotgun but if she's wanting something to carry and go to the range with i would go with the glock 19 or 27 and also the springfield xd's. I've owned and carried both and they are great choices for a woman. I would also take her to the gun store and let her handle different types of handguns to let her see what feels good to her and with whatever she gets go to the range a ton cause nothing is better than lots of practice.

Wow, I am going to open a gun forum on the board, I have had a couple of members request it so... This is a hot topic:biggrin:

I see this everyday... What the guys said about going and shooting is correct... However it isn't always practical, most smaller places don't have a range to go try different weapons...

In reality most folks go in the store and pick up a few and what ever feels best and is priced in their price range is what they get...

You can't go wrong with Glock, S&W M&P, Springfield, Sig, H&K, Taurus, Ruger, even kel tec... We sale all these, I have a hard time saying which one is "best." I love them all:biggrin:

Price+value, IMO ='s Glock or M&P! The glock is probably the toughest sob ever made... The M&P is quickly developing the same reputation!

For her a 9 will get the job done! For you go with the 40! Both fun to shoot and can get ammo for either to get the job done...

Far as disarming a scared woman? Not a lady in my life:cool:

this is my 1st post EVER about firearms. I have always kept to myself about this subject, but a friend of mine explained it to me in a gear heads way. I have a nice car so show it, as for firearms if you have them show them.
NOW back on track. you can NOT choose a firearm for someone. we (my wife & I) have been searching for a conceal carry for her. we have spent several hrs shooting, and to my amazement, the one she wants on her side of the bed, my Kimber Pro CDP II. I am so proud of my wife, she went from not impressed & almost scared of them, to here let me shoot that one, and then field strip it, clean it, and put it back together. the most important thing as a few others here have posted is schooling & practice. the instructor I choose for our conceal carry class goes above & beyond what the state requires. my wife was NOT wanting to go to the class, she was complaining the whole way there, but when we left she thank me for the class. here is her own range bag & her most enjoyable pistols, it looks like I may have to buy her, her own Kimber. please what ever you do, DO NOT just run out buy her a gun and let her shoot it a few times and say "yup you can shoot it".

Honestly, the best thing to do is to take her to a gun store and/or better yet one that has an indoor gun range and rent some guns to see which one she likes best before she makes a purchase. That way she can see which one is most comfortable in her hand and if it's a semi-auto you need to be sure she can rack the slide without a problem as well as do a basic field strip. If the gun is too complicated for her to operate or it's not comfortable in her hand it's better you know that before she spends her money. Secondly, shoot the gun and make sure she is proficient enough with it so that she has confidence in it in the event she needs to use it.

this is exactly true, a scared person with a gun can get there self hurt or make a mistake that they will have to live with for the rest of there life!!

Where in NJ are you from? If you want, we can meet up at the range and you can shoot a few of my guns so you can get an idea. Also you can try out different grains on the ammo so you know the difference between the firepower of the round. I'll tell you this, there is a difference between 185 grain and 235 grain.

I prefer my H&K over the Glock.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy's offer is a great offer ya'll should take advantage of.

Attachments

• 002.jpg
    002.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 151
  • 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 156
please what ever you do, DO NOT just run out buy her a gun and let her shoot it a few times and say "yup you can shoot it".

this is exactly true, a scared person with a gun can get there self hurt or make a mistake that they will have to live with for the rest of there life!!

Both very true statements!

Yes and no here. Shotgun, hell yes! Buckshot, hell NO! If this is to be used inside of a building a shotgun is the most effective weapon you can use without some serious training. I got my training in the MP corp so I know proper entry and clearing techniques. For someone that's not used to doing it or isn't sure how to aim a weapon in a stressful situation a shotgun will get rid of an intruder without firing a shot faster than anything else.

The sound of a pump shotgun loading in the dark will give a pucker factor of 10, trust me.:biggrin: It will also be easier to point in a generalized location so you don't have to be a perfect shot. Inside a building use bird shot. A 8 or 7 & 1/2 shot will give the best spread and do the least damage to walls. You won't have to worry about going through more than one wall so if someone's in the next room or building you don't have to worry about hurting someone that you don't intend on. Also at close range bird shot will do much more damage than heavier shot.

A 20 guage will also make the recoil more manageable for her than a 12 guage, but a 12 guage is still manageable for most. Just make it a pump.:) The nice thing is that you can get a combo package with a long and short barrel sometimes so she can at least shoot clays and maybe even try her hand at hunting.:cool:

We will have to agree to disagree. The effective pattern of a shotgun in a typical home entry situation (say less than 10 yards) is the same regardless of shot size (bird vs. buck) or shotgun choke selection. So it doesn't matter. I'm using ball bearings...if you prefer bird shot that's probably fine too. I'm also not using the racking of my shotgun as a deterrant. While this is neat and all and with good intentions, what happens when it doesn't deter the intruder and "oops" you fumble a shell or God forbid the gun jams? My shotgun would already be chambered, and I would simply declare "I have a loaded shotgun, and if you don't leave immediately I will put a hole in you so big we will see what you had for lunch." And if that doesn't deter the intruder, then I guess we find out what he had for lunch.

this is my 1st post EVER about firearms. I have always kept to myself about this subject, but a friend of mine explained it to me in a gear heads way. I have a nice car so show it, as for firearms if you have them show them.
NOW back on track. you can NOT choose a firearm for someone. we (my wife & I) have been searching for a conceal carry for her. we have spent several hrs shooting, and to my amazement, the one she wants on her side of the bed, my Kimber Pro CDP II. I am so proud of my wife, she went from not impressed & almost scared of them, to here let me shoot that one, and then field strip it, clean it, and put it back together. the most important thing as a few others here have posted is schooling & practice. the instructor I choose for our conceal carry class goes above & beyond what the state requires. my wife was NOT wanting to go to the class, she was complaining the whole way there, but when we left she thank me for the class. here is her own range bag & her most enjoyable pistols, it looks like I may have to buy her, her own Kimber. please what ever you do, DO NOT just run out buy her a gun and let her shoot it a few times and say "yup you can shoot it".

Billy's offer is a great offer ya'll should take advantage of.

That looks like a CDP II! I love my full frame!

Thanks for the imput fella's . I never intended to just rush into buying her a gun. Thats why I came here and asked what you guys would recommend. I do the like the Glocks and M&P's . Almost same exact guns. Im actually taking my ol lady to the gun range before superbowl sunday. Gonna go shoot a .380 revolver , 9mm and a .40cal. SGRIM you have a pm coming.
As I stated before. She and I will be going through some training courses at our local range. Im not looking for a carry weapon just yet bc in NJ god forbid if you wanna carry a pistol, Youll hafta give an arm and a leg.. Literally!! I even thought about getting her a .22lr pistol. Pending on how much. Just gotta go out their and check out the guns. And try to shoot as many as we can before purchasing. Some of the gun manufacture's should make a His and her package!!!

We will have to agree to disagree. The effective pattern of a shotgun in a typical home entry situation (say less than 10 yards) is the same regardless of shot size (bird vs. buck) or shotgun choke selection. So it doesn't matter. I'm using ball bearings...if you prefer bird shot that's probably fine too. I'm also not using the racking of my shotgun as a deterrant. While this is neat and all and with good intentions, what happens when it doesn't deter the intruder and "oops" you fumble a shell or God forbid the gun jams? My shotgun would already be chambered, and I would simply declare "I have a loaded shotgun, and if you don't leave immediately I will put a hole in you so big we will see what you had for lunch." And if that doesn't deter the intruder, then I guess we find out what he had for lunch.

I can't agrue your logic, but I will point out that in most states leaving a shell in the chamber isn't allowed, especially if you've got kids in the house. In several states you have to have a trigger lock, minimum, on them as well, or at least have them in a secured location that no one but you can get to. I also do not trust safeties on most of my weapons. My Mausers I will trust because the firing pin is fully locked along with the bolt, but who the heck would use a bolt gun for defence.

An 18" shotgun barrel is going to be cylinder choked which means that by the time you get more than 30 feet out you have a very large spread of shot VS a long barreled one which will have a modified or tighter pattern in most cases. This is one of the reasons that a sawed off barrel is considered a class II weapon as well. I'll also bring up WWI tactics that were used in the trenches in europe. The Marines got the nickname of Der Teufelhund for one reason. The Winchester 1897 pump shotgun with buckshot. In close fighting it accounted for more damage to the Germans because of the spread of shot it would put out in close range. BTW, the english translation for the german nickname is the devil dogs.:biggrin:

Revolver.......................38

No safety to worry about, no clip to worry about,no is one in the chamber to worry about, no jam to worry about.

Point and click.

Hard to argue with this if she will have little training. Low recoil, no safety to fumble with and easy to operate under severe stress.

Revolver.......................38

No safety to worry about, no clip to worry about,no is one in the chamber to worry about, no jam to worry about.

Point and click.
there are a few semi autos that are single action / double action, Bereta & Sig both have that feature, although there may be other also.

Asking a question like this is comparative to asking a TB owner how to run 11's, there are so many options.

Well from a person whos wife does carry and with others I have done training for I recommend the kiss method

Based on this, the basic revolver is hard to beat.

There are large numbers of good revolvers and most new ones are light enough to take anywhere, I recommend Stainless.

I recommend purchasing a 357 magnum for the following reasons.
You can shoot any .38 .38 +P or 357 magnum ammo making this weapon very versatile.
Shooting .38 makes it easy and cheap to shoot for fun and practice.
The .38 recoil is easy to deal with for first time and inexperienced shooters.
The heavier .357 magnum revolvers have more absorption of the recoil making them nicer to shoot
The 357 magnum has been a multiple proven man and beast stopper, for an overall capable ammo it is hard to beat.

For ease of use and reliability a revolver wins hands down and is an excellent choice.

My favorites and carry ones are the ruger sp 101, the ruger gp 100 and my wifes taurus 685 ( sp 101 clone ).

When we are going to rural areas for camping or trail riding my primary is my gp 100.

As with any weapon purchase and possible use, practice makes perfect. Ensure you practice regularly.
That means more than 1 a year, we usually shoot a minimum of once per month but usually weekly when the weather is better.

If you want more info please feel free to ask.

I can't agrue your logic, but I will point out that in most states leaving a shell in the chamber isn't allowed, especially if you've got kids in the house. In several states you have to have a trigger lock, minimum, on them as well, or at least have them in a secured location that no one but you can get to. I also do not trust safeties on most of my weapons. My Mausers I will trust because the firing pin is fully locked along with the bolt, but who the heck would use a bolt gun for defence.:

That, my friend, is why I love South Dakota!

Just went to the local archery and gun shop with my gf and they had a nice selection. I think we found the gun for her. They had a Springfield XD 9mm 3inch barrel in OD green. I told the salesmen , Im looking for a gun for her and he brought this out.( it was one of the guns I had selected for her so that was cool)And she loved it. It fit her perfect. It was slightley used and the guy let her shoot it. She loved this gun. And she shot it better then I did haha. I didnt think I was able to shoot their guns but with proper ID card and legitamitly interested in purchasing a firearm. They guy aloud me and my gf 6 shots each. She really liked the OD Green . With NJ process its supposed to take about 4-8 weeks to get my permit to purchase a handgun. So in that time I will try and get to shoot other guns to make sure the XD is the right fit for her.... Now my dilemma ... The Glock 27 Gen 4 ( I love the fact I can use the other bigger glock clips for when Im at the range) Or the XD 40 . They had both of these guns at the shop even tho the XD is about 3 ounces heavier then the Glock, I couldnt tell a big difference. They both were brand new so I wasnt able to test fire these guns. I really like the Sig 229 as well, but They are outta my price range. I could get her ( my gf) the XD 9 and either the Glock or XD myself for under 1,000 bucks. Which I feel is pretty descent. They both come with accessories. How does that sound?? too much ?? Good or bad deal? from what I have saw. Its a pretty good deal .

I also recommend a mid-frame .357 dual action revolver with a 3" or 4" barrel. (Three inch barrel is fairly rare) A Smith & Wesson K-Frame, Ruger Security Six, sized handgun is hard to beat for versatility & accuracy. Aside from home defense, you can target shoot & potentially hunt with the gun. The dual action revolver is a simpler tool to operate than most autoloaders.

~JM~

Great advice from almost every angle. I personally have a 12 ga for bedroom home defense right now but I'm planning to upgrade to my Glock 19 once I get a light/laser for it. Outside the bedroom I'll carry either the 19 or a Ruger LCP.

Another gun to consider for your girlfriend is the Smith and Wesson M&P or the Ruger SR9 both are available with an external safety. Most modern semi automatics handguns are extremely reliable and modern 9mm ammo is very effective.

Revolver or Semi she needs to practice and take some classes. It's easy to say if someone breaks into my house I'm going to shoot them but I've seen so many people at the range that can barely hit a B34 target @7 yards, So I can't imagine if they were woken up @3 am barely awake and scared how well they would shoot. Not that I'm sure that I would do all that great.