Handgun recommendations for a First time Female Shooter

Dreamn4GN

Ok So title says it all.. My gf house was broken into last week, Nothing major stolen, BUt she's terrified.. I have told her plenty of times for her to get the proper permits to get a pistol permit for NJ , Such a chitty process to go thru. But anyway, She wants a pistol after the recent encounter. Im looking for idea's on a gun that can be used for obviously home protection, but also great/fun to shoot at the range. She has never fired a gun before. There are many choices out there. I was looking at the XD sub compact 3 Springfield Armory
In 9mm. Im curious to what you guys would recommend. Some of you wives must want to tag along at the range. Im looking for opinions/feedback on a first time Pistol for a female..

Im also looking at a pistol for myself. I have shot plenty of pistols, Just havnt owned any. Im looking for the same. home protection/ range gun. Im in love with the 1911's but Im not sure their practical for what Im looking for. Or maybe they are. I want to stay away from the exspensive ammo so take that inconsideration as well please.
Thanks in advance..
Phill

Revolver.......................38

No safety to worry about, no clip to worry about,no is one in the chamber to worry about, no jam to worry about.

Point and click.

Get her a 9 and you a .40. Any good brand name will do. Just buy the one that fits the most comfortable in your hand. Then shoot it. The gun that feels right is the one.

Get her a Glock 17 or 19. Nothing else in the world of handguns shy of a custom 1911 runs as well as a box stock Glock period and if someone tells you other wise they're clue less. The proof is in the facts.
#1 The Glock is the only handgun that will fire with 13 piece's removed
#2 If you look at any unit or agency worth a damn not counting the SEAL's there all running Glock's. Army Special Forces, CAG, 160th SOAR, Army Rangers, FBI HRT, CIA, DEA, LAPD, ICE, SWAT, US Marshals and just about every law enforcment department in the US and thats just to name a few off the top of my head.
But it's your girl get her what you like as for my wife she carries a Glock 19 with her all the time as for me I came to the light after carrying a custom Larry Vickers and Wilson combat every day for over 15 years I now carry a Glock 17
That my 2 cents

I wouldn't get her a gun quite yet. I would recommend taking her and yourself to a local indoor range and let her (and you) pick out, hold, and shoot a gun of her & your choice.
First: a revolver or an auto?
Maybe a gun handling course for her in the beginning?
Caliber?
Size?
What you pay for shooting & course will pay off handsomely in the end for choosing the best weapon to suit each ones individual needs.
I've got 5 different .45 autos that I shoot, and I reload to cut down costs.
A family range membership might be a good savings for you and her?

Ok So title says it all.. My gf house was broken into last week, Nothing major stolen, BUt she's terrified.. I have told her plenty of times for her to get the proper permits to get a pistol permit for NJ , Such a chitty process to go thru. But anyway, She wants a pistol after the recent encounter. Im looking for idea's on a gun that can be used for obviously home protection, but also great/fun to shoot at the range. She has never fired a gun before. There are many choices out there. I was looking at the XD sub compact 3 Springfield Armory
In 9mm. Im curious to what you guys would recommend. Some of you wives must want to tag along at the range. Im looking for opinions/feedback on a first time Pistol for a female..

Im also looking at a pistol for myself. I have shot plenty of pistols, Just havnt owned any. Im looking for the same. home protection/ range gun. Im in love with the 1911's but Im not sure their practical for what Im looking for. Or maybe they are. I want to stay away from the exspensive ammo so take that inconsideration as well please.
Thanks in advance..
Phill

If you want home protection nothing tops a 12 ga with 00 buck. Home and personal carry are two completely diff things. For a newbie female shooter it's hard to beat a revolver. Like was said earlier...point....click...boom.

If you want home protection nothing tops a 12 ga with 00 buck. Home and personal carry are two completely diff things. For a newbie female shooter it's hard to beat a revolver. Like was said earlier...point....click...boom.

Yes and no here. Shotgun, hell yes! Buckshot, hell NO! If this is to be used inside of a building a shotgun is the most effective weapon you can use without some serious training. I got my training in the MP corp so I know proper entry and clearing techniques. For someone that's not used to doing it or isn't sure how to aim a weapon in a stressful situation a shotgun will get rid of an intruder without firing a shot faster than anything else.

The sound of a pump shotgun loading in the dark will give a pucker factor of 10, trust me.:biggrin: It will also be easier to point in a generalized location so you don't have to be a perfect shot. Inside a building use bird shot. A 8 or 7 & 1/2 shot will give the best spread and do the least damage to walls. You won't have to worry about going through more than one wall so if someone's in the next room or building you don't have to worry about hurting someone that you don't intend on. Also at close range bird shot will do much more damage than heavier shot.

A 20 guage will also make the recoil more manageable for her than a 12 guage, but a 12 guage is still manageable for most. Just make it a pump.:) The nice thing is that you can get a combo package with a long and short barrel sometimes so she can at least shoot clays and maybe even try her hand at hunting.:cool:

I would advise against buying your wife a handgun before she fires several guns at a range and sees what she is comfortable with shooting. If she isn't comfortable with the firearm she will hesitate to use it which could prove to be fatal. My wife's mother was raped and murdered by a serial killer in Texas, my wife will not hesitate to unload the entire clip on someone that does not belong in the house or that has threatened her well being. This does take practice at the range...
if this is for home defense only, get a pump shotgun with a short barrel...

From fiearmstactical

12 Gauge Shotshell Ammunition
For personal defense and law enforcement applications, the International Wound Ballistics Association advocates number 1 buckshot as being superior to all other buckshot sizes.

Number 1 buck is the smallest diameter shot that reliably and consistently penetrates more than 12 inches of standard ordnance gelatin when fired at typical shotgun engagement distances. A standard 2 ¾-inch 12 gauge shotshell contains 16 pellets of #1 buck. The total combined cross sectional area of the 16 pellets is 1.13 square inches. Compared to the total combined cross sectional area of the nine pellets in a standard #00 (double-aught) buck shotshell (0.77 square inches), the # 1 buck shotshell has the capacity to produce over 30 percent more potentially effective wound trauma.

In all shotshell loads, number 1 buckshot produces more potentially effective wound trauma than either #00 or #000 buck. In addition, number 1 buck is less likely to over-penetrate and exit an attacker's body.

Bryan

I have a single shot 16 guage shotgun I grew up with, But Im not sure If I can find shells for a 16 gauge anymore. I have a Mossberg 935 semi-auto with 3 1/2 inch 00 bucks shot at the bedside. I agree the sound of a semi-auto shotgun engaging will scare most perps in no time. My uncle has a 20 gauge pump he uses for small game. Might ask him if I can borrow it. Im just looking for idea's . Not purchasing just yet. So she will def get some exp shooting and handling guns before spending 500 plus dollars on a gun thas for sure. There arnt many places around my area to rent guns to shoot, I mean They dont let just anyone shoot guns here in NJ.

You can still get 16 guage but they're not cheap. I'd get a box of them as well as borrow the shotgun from your uncle and let her try them. The fact that you have 2 hands on a weapon makes it much more controlable than a hand gun. Not to mention that you can use your body as an aiming point. As an experiment give her a broom and have her hold it at her waist and close her eyes, like point and shoot. Move around the room quietly and have her try and point at you when you make a noise. Then try it with her hands held like she's holding a pistol. Both of you will notice the difference.

Hey just my 2 cents tell her to get an alarm in the house..alot of people might talk about guns and shooting range but when its time to shoot someone between the eyes very few have actually have done this... i rarely speak on the gun threads though i really want to because lots of people make me laugh but w.e..chances are most not all!! i said most.... women would probably hurt themselves or end up shooting the wrong person by mistake because they are "scared" i can guarantee 80% of your wives or girlfriends will close they're eyes before they pull that trigger how about a newborn next door 9mm hollow point goes threw sheetrock and ruin a family because someone was scared...if your scared you shouldnt be holding a firearm... you hear a noise call 911 or scream out im calling police...Even if girlfriend pulls out cocks the gun and shoots once person is dead the mental part kicks in point being a GUN is a serious weapon and most people don't realize that till you have taken someone's life.... im for firearms but for the civilians that take proper training on how and when to use one... please dont take this comment the wrong way..im not against women carrying a firearm.. just have different views on diff things..

Thanks in advance..
Phill

Just be careful if you shoot someone in your house in NJ, there is no Castle Law here. Although LE would agree with you in shooting someone who entered your house, the prosector's office will think otherwise. Unless the intruder is armed, you can't use deadly force. NJ's motto is let him/them go and we'll catch 'em later.

Where in NJ are you from? If you want, we can meet up at the range and you can shoot a few of my guns so you can get an idea. Also you can try out different grains on the ammo so you know the difference between the firepower of the round. I'll tell you this, there is a difference between 185 grain and 235 grain.

I prefer my H&K over the Glock.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

9mm hollow point goes threw sheetrock and ruin a family ..

And that is exactly why I believe in bird shot inside a building. Even #6 shot won't go through sheet rock with enough force to do damage in the next room. Buckshot will! Also just the sound of a pump shotgun racking a shell is enough to make all but the most desperate run for an exit.:biggrin:

the guy's in here who know how to use a gun probably also know how to take a gun i can disarm a scared women fairly easy... just being honest...

the guy's in here who know how to use a gun probably also know how to take a gun i can disarm a scared women fairly easy... just being honest...

Obviously you've never entered a building in any type of MOUT situation. Anyone that's done it or even entered a domestic situation in a building knows the second you hear that distictive "click", you draw and get down before the sh!t hits the fan. The simple act of racking a weapon in a room attached to one you just entered will give you a great deal of pause. Most that enter a building intent on stealing don't carry weapons for the simple fact that it goes from burglury to deadly intent very quickly. Those that're just trying to score more easy cash for their meth won't even think about hanging around once you rack the weapon, loaded or not.:biggrin:

Glock 19 is a good choice lightweight easy to conceal this is my carry around ive learned to keep it at home most of the time know...

glock 19.jpg

Just be careful if you shoot someone in your house in NJ, there is no Castle Law here. Although LE would agree with you in shooting someone who entered your house, the prosector's office will think otherwise. Unless the intruder is armed, you can't use deadly force. NJ's motto is let him/them go and we'll catch 'em later.

Where in NJ are you from? If you want, we can meet up at the range and you can shoot a few of my guns so you can get an idea. Also you can try out different grains on the ammo so you know the difference between the firepower of the round. I'll tell you this, there is a difference between 185 grain and 235 grain.

I prefer my H&K over the Glock.

Billy T.
gnxtc2@aol.com

Billy, what kind of prosecutors do you have there?
I am not arguing your point but here is what I just found on NJ permanent Statutes.

2C:3-4 Use of force in self-protection.

2C:3-4. Use of Force in Self-Protection. a. Use of force justifiable for protection of the person. Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 2C:3-9, the use of force upon or toward another person is justifiable when the actor reasonably believes that such force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself against the use of unlawful force by such other person on the present occasion.

b.Limitations on justifying necessity for use of force.

(1)The use of force is not justifiable under this section:

(a)To resist an arrest which the actor knows is being made by a peace officer in the performance of his duties, although the arrest is unlawful, unless the peace officer employs unlawful force to effect such arrest; or

(b)To resist force used by the occupier or possessor of property or by another person on his behalf, where the actor knows that the person using the force is doing so under a claim of right to protect the property, except that this limitation shall not apply if:

(i)The actor is a public officer acting in the performance of his duties or a person lawfully assisting him therein or a person making or assisting in a lawful arrest;

(ii)The actor has been unlawfully dispossessed of the property and is making a reentry or recaption justified by section 2C:3-6; or

(iii) The actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm.

(2)The use of deadly force is not justifiable under this section unless the actor reasonably believes that such force is necessary to protect himself against death or serious bodily harm; nor is it justifiable if:

(a)The actor, with the purpose of causing death or serious bodily harm, provoked the use of force against himself in the same encounter; or

(b)The actor knows that he can avoid the necessity of using such force with complete safety by retreating or by surrendering possession of a thing to a person asserting a claim of right thereto or by complying with a demand that he abstain from any action which he has no duty to take, except that:

(i)The actor is not obliged to retreat from his dwelling, unless he was the initial aggressor; and

(ii)A public officer justified in using force in the performance of his duties or a person justified in using force in his assistance or a person justified in using force in making an arrest or preventing an escape is not obliged to desist from efforts to perform such duty, effect such arrest or prevent such escape because of resistance or threatened resistance by or on behalf of the person against whom such action is directed.

(3)Except as required by paragraphs (1) and (2) of this subsection, a person employing protective force may estimate the necessity of using force when the force is used, without retreating, surrendering possession, doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do or abstaining from any lawful action.

c. (1) Notwithstanding the provisions of N.J.S.2C:3-5, N.J.S.2C:3-9, or this section, the use of force or deadly force upon or toward an intruder who is unlawfully in a dwelling is justifiable when the actor reasonably believes that the force is immediately necessary for the purpose of protecting himself or other persons in the dwelling against the use of unlawful force by the intruder on the present occasion.

(2)A reasonable belief exists when the actor, to protect himself or a third person, was in his own dwelling at the time of the offense or was privileged to be thereon and the encounter between the actor and intruder was sudden and unexpected, compelling the actor to act instantly and:

(a)The actor reasonably believed that the intruder would inflict personal injury upon the actor or others in the dwelling; or

(b)The actor demanded that the intruder disarm, surrender or withdraw, and the intruder refused to do so.

(3)An actor employing protective force may estimate the necessity of using force when the force is used, without retreating, surrendering possession, withdrawing or doing any other act which he has no legal duty to do or abstaining from any lawful action.

L.1978, c.95; amended 1987, c.120, s.1; 1999, c.73.

2C:3-5. Use of force for the protection of other persons
a. Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 2C:3-9, the use of force upon or toward the person of another is justifiable to protect a third person when:

(1) The actor would be justified under section 2C:3-4 in using such force to protect himself against the injury he believes to be threatened to the person whom he seeks to protect; and

(2) Under the circumstances as the actor reasonably believes them to be, the person whom he seeks to protect would be justified in using such protective force; and

(3) The actor reasonably believes that his intervention is necessary for the protection of such other person.

b. Notwithstanding subsection a. of this section:

(1) When the actor would be obliged under section 2C:3-4 b. (2)(b) to retreat or take other action he is not obliged to do so before using force for the protection of another person, unless he knows that he can thereby secure the complete safety of such other person, and

(2) When the person whom the actor seeks to protect would be obliged under section 2C:3-4 b. (2)(b) to retreat or take similar action if he knew that he could obtain complete safety by so doing, the actor is obliged to try to cause him to do so before using force in his protection if the actor knows that he can obtain complete safety in that way; and

(3) Neither the actor nor the person whom he seeks to protect is obliged to retreat when in the other's dwelling to any greater extent than in his own.

L.1978, c. 95, s. 2C:3-5, eff. Sept. 1, 1979.

2C:3-6. Use of force in defense of premises or personal property
Use of Force in Defense of Premises or Personal Property. a. Use of force in defense of premises. Subject to the provisions of this section and of section 2C:3-9, the use of force upon or toward the person of another is justifiable when the actor is in possession or control of premises or is licensed or privileged to be thereon and he reasonably believes such force necessary to prevent or terminate what he reasonably believes to be the commission or attempted commission of a criminal trespass by such other person in or upon such premises.

b. Limitations on justifiable use of force in defense of premises.

(1) Request to desist. The use of force is justifiable under this section only if the actor first requests the person against whom such force is used to desist from his interference with the property, unless the actor reasonably believes that:

(a) Such request would be useless;

(b) It would be dangerous to himself or another person to make the request; or

(c) Substantial harm will be done to the physical condition of the property which is sought to be protected before the request can effectively be made.

(2) Exclusion of trespasser. The use of force is not justifiable under this section if the actor knows that the exclusion of the trespasser will expose him to substantial danger of serious bodily harm.

(3) Use of deadly force. The use of deadly force is not justifiable under subsection a. of this section unless the actor reasonably believes that:

(a) The person against whom the force is used is attempting to dispossess him of his dwelling otherwise than under a claim of right to its possession; or

(b) The person against whom the force is used is attempting to commit or consummate arson, burglary, robbery or other criminal theft or property destruction; except that

(c) Deadly force does not become justifiable under subparagraphs (a) and (b) of this subsection unless the actor reasonably believes that:

(i) The person against whom it is employed has employed or threatened deadly force against or in the presence of the actor; or

(ii) The use of force other than deadly force to terminate or prevent the commission or the consummation of the crime would expose the actor or another in his presence to substantial danger of bodily harm. An actor within a dwelling shall be presumed to have a reasonable belief in the existence of the danger. The State must rebut this presumption by proof beyond a reasonable doubt.

c. Use of force in defense of personal property. Subject to the provisions of subsection d. of this section and of section 2C:3-9, the use of force upon or toward the person of another is justifiable when the actor reasonably believes it necessary to prevent what he reasonably believes to be an attempt by such other person to commit theft, criminal mischief or other criminal interference with personal property in his possession or in the possession of another for whose protection he acts.

d. Limitations on justifiable use of force in defense of personal property.

(1) Request to desist and exclusion of trespasser. The limitations of subsection b. (1) and (2) of this section apply to subsection c. of this section.

(2) Use of deadly force. The use of deadly force in defense of personal property is not justified unless justified under another provision of this chapter.

L.1978, c.95; amended by L. 1987, c. 120, s. 2.

Bryan