Handgun recommendations for a First time Female Shooter

The revolver would be just for shooting and bed side protection only, not CC. In NJ you can't get a CCW permit unless your blowing the governor. So that widened my range of guns bc Im not going to be using these guns to conceal, When i move out of NJ I will be purchasing a concealed carry weapon.
Hey dont you talk about my GF like that. haha. Shes about 5'5 140lbs. 40lbs are in her chest and arse:p, I like big butts and I cannot lie. I wish I had pics to show, im really not into the hey will you take a picture of me and my gf kinda guy.. I hate pictures.. But shes shot my old 16 gauge, which is the same length as the 870, i looked it up. And she also shoulder one up the other night at the sporting goods store. Plus she searched on Cabela's and they have an 20gauge 870 with pink camo:rolleyes:.. But itll be HER gun, not mine so im all for it. Plus I hear them 20 gauge shoot slugs like a top.
Im not stuck on the 8 or 7 rds, but def atleast 6 rds for the revolver. I just thought hell 8 rds is pretty sweet for a revolver. Weight of the gun isnt a problem with me , im 6'4 300lbs. So thats why Im kinda leaning toward the big heavy revolver just for shoot around. Im thinking a nice revolver and a nice M&P 9mm would be a nice start. She could shoot both if she wanted, but she really shot the M&P great. So Im sure she will stick with that. And if shes feeling friskey she can shoot the .357 or .38 Ill take a look into the smaller fram revolvers. Maybe my local shop wil lhave one I can put my paws on to see how she feels

6' 4", 300#! Hell you can conceal a Desert Eagle if you wanted to. You may not like the medium frame revolvers after-all. May be too small for your hand.

Your Gal may be able to handle a 12gauge just fine. If she can, a 12 gauge is the way to go. I see the disadvantage of the 20 vs the 12 at the TRAP range. Some say that the felt recoil is actually more in the 20gauge due to it being a higher pressure cartridge & the shotgun is usually lighter.

~JM~

6' 4", 300#! Hell you can conceal a Desert Eagle if you wanted to. You may not like the medium frame revolvers after-all. May be too small for your hand.

Your Gal may be able to handle a 12gauge just fine. If she can, a 12 gauge is the way to go. I see the disadvantage of the 20 vs the 12 at the TRAP range. Some say that the felt recoil is actually more in the 20gauge due to it being a higher pressure cartridge & the shotgun is usually lighter.

~JM~
haha, I agree with what your saying about the 20 to the 12. My 16 gauge gives more kick then my 12. its a single shot Winchester 16 gauge that my dad grew up shooting rabbits and etc. If I shes get a 12, shes gonna hafta get a smaller stock, bc my 12's were a lil to long for her, obviously. But she was able to shoot em no problem. So we will see. I really like the 20 bc them things shoot slugs waaay better then any 12 gauge thats for sure. I now how even more homework to do now. They have two diff types of 20 gauge avail, either the youth model or just a regular model. regular model is longer and 5 oz heavier from what I read. I know my uncle has a 20 gauge pump he uses for small game. Maybe he will lend it to me for a day so she can shoot it and see how the recoil is for her

I'm the same height and and almost same weight (6'4" 290lbs) and the medium frame revolver feels good to me.

Here is a good vid on the Ruger GP100. It is kinda long and the guy likes to talk a lot, but there is a lot of good info in it.

I'm the same height and and almost same weight (6'4" 290lbs) and the medium frame revolver feels good to me.

Here is a good vid on the Ruger GP100. It is kinda long and the guy likes to talk a lot, but there is a lot of good info in it.

I enjoy Nutnfancy's reviews he tells it how it is for the most part. Ill def check this out.

This is the 870 that I picked up for the G/F.
http://www.remington.com/products/f...s/model-870/model-870-express-compact-jr.aspx

I should've probably bought the next size larger. We ended up adding an 1" back to the Stock with the enclosed spacers. The regular compact model has a 21" barrel I believe & a stock that is 1" shorter than usual.

I suspect that I will be buying her a 12 gauge if she stays involved with the TRAP shooting. They can reach out a bit more.

Buying guns & performance parts is so much fun.

~JM~

I stopped into one of my local gun stores yesterday to check out the used rack. Unknown to me its Gun Show week end & all the used guns were packed up for the show. Disapointed I was headed for the door when a thought entered my mind. I stopped one of the counter guys & asked if he could show me a S&W M&P in 40S&W. They had one in 9mm & one in 45acp, so I checked out the 9mm. Interesting gun, the store was short handed so I didn't want to use up a bunch of the guys time being a looker instead of buyer. The gun was fairly comfortable to my hand, maybe a bit big for my glove size 9 hand, but definately shootable. The trigger pull was a bit long but smooth. I don't know what to make of the articulated trigger, I wonder if any have ever broken or bent tying up the gun. That was the only semi fragile looking part that I could see. Nice sight picture. All in all a pretty cool gun for a plastic fantastic. Looks like you could really hose down an area with bullets. Of course I would need to shoot it to decide if I like it or not.

~JM~

I stopped into one of my local gun stores yesterday to check out the used rack. Unknown to me its Gun Show week end & all the used guns were packed up for the show. Disapointed I was headed for the door when a thought entered my mind. I stopped one of the counter guys & asked if he could show me a S&W M&P in 40S&W. They had one in 9mm & one in 45acp, so I checked out the 9mm. Interesting gun, the store was short handed so I didn't want to use up a bunch of the guys time being a looker instead of buyer. The gun was fairly comfortable to my hand, maybe a bit big for my glove size 9 hand, but definately shootable. The trigger pull was a bit long but smooth. I don't know what to make of the articulated trigger, I wonder if any have ever broken or bent tying up the gun. That was the only semi fragile looking part that I could see. Nice sight picture. All in all a pretty cool gun for a plastic fantastic. Looks like you could really hose down an area with bullets. Of course I would need to shoot it to decide if I like it or not.

~JM~
And the Beretta PX4 sub compact even holds more rounds than the M&P sub compact and feels just as good or better! Still haven't looked at one of those yet huh? I really think you will love it when you do, the "Compact" version has a rotating barrel which removes a lot of recoil and the .40 cal shoots like a 9mm..

You need to shoot these Beretta PX4 compact / sub compact just to see what you think..... I love mine and still after 400 rounds through it not one single problem and it's Crazy accurate!

SW.

~JM~
They do have the 3 adjustable backstraps for the M&P. I prefer the Medium. Its a nice gun, def comparable to the glock. I personally liked the trigger better then the glock. But I liked the Glocks trigger reset, I can feel it click unline the M&P

Scott- I really do like the PX4, I just cant find a range that has it to rent. I will check my local Beretta dealer to handle her. Id probly hafta go with the compact version as I wont be using the weapon as a concealed carry anymore bc of the lovely state of NJ.

...I wont be using the weapon as a concealed carry anymore bc of the lovely state of NJ.

I wouldn't let that stop me under the right circumstances. You can always carry concealed in the privacy of your own home & you should, so you can become accustomed to it. Concealment can be as simple as a proper gun belt & a pancake style holster with a long wool shirt worn open.
http://www.usgalco.com/HolsterPG3.asp?ProductID=411&GunID=92

Then of course... Move to a more gun friendly part of the country as soon as you can.

~JM~

I do plan on carrying around the house to jut to get the feel of it, and maybe try and portray unholstering of my weapon.I cant get outta NJ soon enough. I plan on having my own lil Hickok45 range in my backyard for sure.:D

~JM~
I am a S&W Certified M&P Armorer and there is NOTHING to worry about with that trigger... Plus the biggest plus of this M&P is it is the only 100% field rebuildable...

I would have a hard choice decieding between a glock and a M&P if it was the only gun I had.... I would take either in the SHTF scenario!

I am a S&W Certified M&P Armorer...

Have you heard of any failures of the internal locking systems? I haven't bought a new S&W revolver since the introduction of MIM parts & the locks. I'm always on the look-out for the older models, but the pricing is starting to really get out of hand.

Thank you
~JM~

I do plan on carrying around the house to jut to get the feel of it, and maybe try and portray unholstering of my weapon.I cant get outta NJ soon enough. I plan on having my own lil Hickok45 range in my backyard for sure.:D

Just don't rely upon the ole Mexican carry of stuffing a loaded weapon into your waist-band. Just about everyone has done it at least once. At the least you drop your gun & scratch it up... at the worst... Ka-Boom.

~JM~

Just don't rely upon the ole Mexican carry of stuffing a loaded weapon into your waist-band. Just about everyone has done it at least once. At the least you drop your gun & scratch it up... at the worst... Ka-Boom.

~JM~
Very valid point. I plan on buying an inside the waist holster. I want to get the hang of grabbing the weapon out of the holster. I already know Ill need practice with that. Therefore having a loaded weapon would be a dumb thing to do. Id have no reason to walk around with a loaded weapon around my house unless to get actualy carry weight, but again the loaded mag isnt going to make a big diff with my size. Maybe if there were some zombies running around :eek:..
These damn permits are taking forever...

Have you heard of any failures of the internal locking systems? I haven't bought a new S&W revolver since the introduction of MIM parts & the locks. I'm always on the look-out for the older models, but the pricing is starting to really get out of hand.

Thank you
~JM~

No, not really... This gun is a new design, you can replace (in the field) every piece of that trigger system... They have been subjected to a lot of "torture" testing in the last couple of years... Their are proving their worth w/o question...

No, not really... This gun is a new design, you can replace (in the field) every piece of that trigger system... They have been subjected to a lot of "torture" testing in the last couple of years... Their are proving their worth w/o question...
Are you talkingg about the M&P or the S&W Revolers?

Very valid point. I plan on buying an inside the waist holster. I want to get the hang of grabbing the weapon out of the holster. I already know Ill need practice with that. Therefore having a loaded weapon would be a dumb thing to do. Id have no reason to walk around with a loaded weapon around my house unless to get actualy carry weight, but again the loaded mag isnt going to make a big diff with my size. Maybe if there were some zombies running around :eek:..
These damn permits are taking forever...

I doubt that you will be able to simply use an I.W.B. holster without a belt to support the weight. It will pull your pants down, especially if you have to move fast or run. Make sure the holster has a reinforced top/opening so it will stay open when the weapon has been drawn. Stay away from the Uncle Mike type of holsters. They have very little for weapon retention & they close once you draw, making it difficult to reholster. I like Galco products for a mass produced holster. Bianchi used to be a quality holster, but I'm not familiar with there newer products. Whatever you do.. Don't treat your new leather holster like your old baseball mitt. Don't oil it to soften it up, that will ruin it. They are supposed to be rigid. About the only thing I do to mine is to lightly spray the interior with a food grade silicone spray until its damp & then work the gun into the holster & let it sit. Don't use too much spray or it will darken the leather.

How much longer do you have to wait on this permit process? Good thing you don't need something right away to protect yourself. What a load of crap all these waiting periods. I used to live in California many years ago & they had a 15 day waiting period at the time. You buy your handgun & if all goes well they let you take it home 15 days later. That can be a long 2 weeks.

~JM~

thumbnail[1].jpg
GO BIG OR STAY HOME !!