2014 THS Rules discussion

Is there any opposition to a th400?

I don't think there is a performance advantage at all. I disagree with clay above about launching harder with a 400. Pretty sure John P over in tsm doesn't hold back on his 200 by the looks of his launches.

A th400 will not make you faster, weighs more, takes more power to turn, has the same converter selection. So nothing there.
Heard someone say that there has not been a 200 failure that caused a ths racer to sit out. There goes the theory of a 400 being an advantage in durability. So no gain there.
Only advantage is the cost. It is cheaper to build a 400. That in itself should be good for the class.

The gain to the class would be to let people in that may be legal everywhere else but the trans. I have a 400 now and gaurantee I will show up to at least one ths race this year if a 400 is allowed. I've already made my mind up that I'm not going back to a 200. I would like to know soon which way this is going to go. I got some decisions to make on front suspension and if I'm putting ac back on the car.

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

Kevin, Doesn't a 400 have a 2.48 first gear compared to a 2.75 for a 200? Some would say that would be an advantage when working with cars that make a lot of torque like turbo engines tend to do. Before we get to carried away with that conversation, I know gear sets can be changed in either but will maintain that the majority of TRs out there are using the stock gear sets.

The important question to ask is, how many cars does a major rule change like this bring to the races? Do you know of very many cars that have 3x2 housing turbos with ac and turbo 400s?

I know jd switched classes over the transmission. You know Tom is looking to do ths and he doesn't like 200's. My car is one. Can't give you an exact number but that's at least 3.
I always was told the 200 gearing was better. That's why all the fast 400 cars switch out the gears in the 400.

The car I am looking into buying has a 4l60e in it and is a cage away from being a front runner in TSM. I would have to change alot to make it fit this class, which I am able to do, but I will not be changing the trans if I buy the car I am looking at. I think the trans rule should allow any GM trans that came in a production car can be used. Isn't this class supposed to be a real street car class? What about the guy who would like a 4 speed or 6 speed manual in his car? It does not get anymore street car than that. There is no advantage to the any gm trans, just gives people a choice.

I don't race THS, but you guys are def missing cars simply through this transmission rule. The racing would be better even if you just got a few guys from other classes to race THS too, and they would if they could! Buick guys like to do passes so let 'em.

That is to bad as was hoping to see you in action.
I Will go over a few things with Chris H when the time comes see what is the best choice for me. I just want to race..

I know jd switched classes over the transmission. You know Tom is looking to do ths and he doesn't like 200's. My car is one. Can't give you an exact number but that's at least 3.
I always was told the 200 gearing was better. That's why all the fast 400 cars switch out the gears in the 400.

I think JD switched because he wanted voting for rules in the class. Tom stated above the car he is looking at has the capability to be a front runner in TSM. That statement would lead me to believe he is looking at that class very hard or it would not have came up. I see in your signature you have listed TSM build in the works andI think I read on this board where you said your AC stuff was not going back on. Instead of trying to get a class to fit what you want to do with your car why not pick a class and make your car fit it? I have done this many times over the years and have no regrets.

On the gearing for a 200 vs 400, fast 400 cars tend to switch to a lesser first gear. Example from a 2.48 to a 2.10. The 200 in stock form has a 2.75 first gear. Either you misunderstood your source or they were incorrect in what they were telling you.

I'd rather race ths than tsm. I wouldn't be pushing for this if I didn't want to race it. I'm going for a 10.0 car. Can't afford tsm at this time.
For the gearing, my car seemed to go a lot better with the 3.73 Rear. These big heavy cars need the gearing, at least mine did. Advantage 200 there.
I looked back at the ths rules thread for the 2012 season. Seemed to be a lot of interest back then in a 400/350.

I didn't know we still had signatures on here. I don't see them on my phone app

I am in no way, shape or form looking at racing tsm.

Since you referenced it in the above post when mentioning the car (prize) you are looking at I figured TSM and THS were the classed you were looking at for that car, my mistake. On a side note I would not turn that car into just another race car myself.
So Tom do you want to propose a rule change to allow any GM overdrive trans or you want to just ride with any GM trans?

Just to add a little humor, how do you guys (Kevin and Tommy) feel about the fiberglass hood thing?

They are good for those that want the advantage of taking weight off the front end. I really don't care at this point. Just pushing the trans issue

Kip, why are you against other transmissions?

Didn't the wrath bury a dick in the 9.5x @140 in bowling green? I don't think that's a power limiter.

Didn't the wrath bury a dick in the 9.5x @140 in bowling green? I don't think that's a power limiter.

I do not understand your point? Are you saying you think a 3x2 67mm or smaller turbo will go say 8.5s?