2014 THS Rules discussion

Why 3600 min weight? Seems pretty heavy considering most cars weigh less than that from the factory. Why not 3500 since you already have that in the rules?

It would allow the aluminum headed cars room to lighten up and catch up to the irons. :D

Jason, The problem is hardly any iron headed cars are even at 3500. People cannot get their cars their without doing things that sacrifice their cars in some way they are not willing to do. One thing that hit me last year was when a iron headed racer said he should add a roll bar to his car but did not want to because he was already a 100lbs over min. weight. The heaviest THS iron headed car we have had so far was 3980. So far 3600 seems to have gone over pretty well on here but I am open and will listen.

Why 3600 min weight? Seems pretty heavy considering most cars weigh less than that from the factory. Why not 3500 since you already have that in the rules?

It would allow the aluminum headed cars room to lighten up and catch up to the irons. :D

Right now my street car is at 3515 with me, fully charged A/C, stereo and full tank of gas in it. I may have GN1's, but they aren't race ported.

What about carbon fibre hood, since that is what I'd do instead of glass. My stock steel hood is a wavy mess, even after my paint guy straightened, painted, resanded, painted etc it 3 times trying to get the reverse pull dents from the bracing out. Once the sun hits it, it is like a fun mirror you'd see at a carnival.

I would see no reason why a carbon fiber hood would be a problem if fiberglass was allowed. You reasoning for wanting an aftermarket hood is the same as many these days, I hear finding a nice stocker is getting harder and harder to do. Others just want one to reduce weight. Either way it comes up every year in the rules discussion.

Right now my street car is at 3515 with me, fully charged A/C, stereo and full tank of gas in it. I may have GN1's, but they aren't race ported.

One weight would help you for sure as you would not have to add as much to make the min. for the class.
You are prime example of what I am seeing ( iron headed cars cannot get down close to min weight and aluminum headed cars having to add weight to get to min. weight).

You want glass hoods and want to add weight to iron head cars then give alluminum head cars a weight break, will this help the good of the class? I say it has worked good so far the way it is . This is just my veiw on what has been posted. Lets hear what everyone else has to say. Ive worked hard to get down to the weight for irons, to just add it back seems like I will be going backwards. You can get a turbo car down to 3500 with a roll bar easily, with no cutting up of the car.
DDAY

I would make the weights 3500 for iron or aluminum heads. I don't understand why the weights are so heavy. I hope you guys get it figured out soon, cause there may be a new car coming to this class this year.

You want glass hoods and want to add weight to iron head cars then give alluminum head cars a weight break, will this help the good of the class? I say it has worked good so far the way it is . This is just my veiw on what has been posted. Lets hear what everyone else has to say. Ive worked hard to get down to the weight for irons, to just add it back seems like I will be going backwards. You can get a turbo car down to 3500 with a roll bar easily, with no cutting up of the car.
DDAY

David, It is not about giving a weight break to one and adding weight to another, it is about one weight to make things easier at the scales and tech. Since we do not have a staff and rely on the racers who race each other to check weights of each other it would be easier and clear up some confusion. Every year I am asked by racers " what do I have to weigh". If people do not know about their own weights what is the chances they will be up on other peoples combos? One weight means less of a chance of a car slipping through at the wrong weight. How many of the racers really know which heads each car in the class has? I agree it has worked well so far but I am always looking for a way to make things go better.

I would make the weights 3500 for iron or aluminum heads. I don't understand why the weights are so heavy. I hope you guys get it figured out soon, cause there may be a new car coming to this class this year.

Tom, the majority of the class is way over 3500 now. The reason for thinking around 3600 lbs. is that is the range most of the car that have raced the class are in. Very few of the iron headed cars can take advantage of the weight break. I know of one new car for THS next year already and would be happy to see you join the ranks also.

I just got my car in June but I did make it to the Bowling Green race with it. I'm a big guy weigh about 270 with 7 gallons of race fuel and me in it I'm around the 3500. I have iron heads and a very heavily optioned car so I see no reason to add another 100 pounds (maybe more after this diet lol) just my 2 cents worth. If your having trouble with keeping up with who has what just put an I after your car # for Iron heads and an A for aluminum. I'm new to THS so what ever the rules are is fine with me!!

Posted from the TurboBuick.Com mobile app

I just got my car in June but I did make it to the Bowling Green race with it. I'm a big guy weigh about 270 with 7 gallons of race fuel and me in it I'm around the 3500. I have iron heads and a very heavily optioned car so I see no reason to add another 100 pounds (maybe more after this diet lol) just my 2 cents worth. If your having trouble with keeping up with who has what just put an I after your car # for Iron heads and an A for aluminum. I'm new to THS so what ever the rules are is fine with me!!

Did you weigh your car in BG ? I was at the race with my 87 Turbo T, Iron heads, solid roof, No power options with the spare tire removed, same amount of Fuel & I weigh 210 the car was 3635 #.

I am surprised with the caliber of car you have that you do not have to add more. Your chassis guy is very good at what he does.

I leave the tools laptop and everything in trunk also
In addition I weigh 188
I think there are three or 4 ?fifty pound lead bars attached to chassis in various areas
I believe its 32xx lb empty but not 100% sure
I didn't want to remove more weight on a street car
I already shifted enough weight to rear

And

3604 was what it weighed at Bowling Green with me and laptop. My car is astro roof car with all electric. I have a lot of bracing on it to rear seat brace front cross bar bracing. I haven't weighed it local yet as I'm taking some more weight out now. Oh and my car has a precision front mount with the carbon dioxide sprayer on it with a 5lb bottle in the trunk. It was in the car at BG also.

This is kind of interesting, my 87 gn, had normal options (power windows locks) but not loaded up or anything, I had done some weight savings (aluminum bumper inserts and brackets, wheels, removed all the e-brake stuff, no sound deadening under the carpet, plastic headlights, probably some more I'm forgetting) and it still weighed 3600 with my 250 pound self in it and a half a tank...no roll bar.

I say open it up to any gm transmission. Such as th400 or 4l60
Why not?
Take a 400, What advantage does it give one besides being cheaper to build? They take more power to turn and are heavier. It would let more people in (perhaps me :)). They don't take away from the street car theme of the class either. One could swap out a 200 and go 400 cheaper than adding a fiberglass hood. Fiberglass parts are way more race car than a th400.

Btw... I'm asking about the 400 to be let in for my own self. I would return to ths if it was allowed. I traded my 400 for a 200 and don't want to go back by cause I've already got everything I need

I am with kevin, I am going to be building another Buick and would love to come to this class. I have the drivetrain already and engine management. Not sure I am ready to give up the reliability of my th400. I am good with all of the other rules and weights. The trans rule is what stopped me from running ths when the class was started.

You can run a 200 in the mid 9s and even in the 8s.

Sean H (THS) and John Plog (XTSM) already proved it..