"zero" oil presure.. please help

Gerry17

I just rebuilt my engine and installed a new timing cover with high volume oil pump from Johns Performace. I started the engine after priming it and i have no oil presure. Im not to experianced with these types of oil pumps. Any suggestions?

Did you get pressure when you primed it? You have the correct gears for the housing? Is the pickup tube sealed well to the block? Did you pack the housing with vasaline before primeing? Sorry to answer with a bunch of questions, but the more info the easier it will be to figure out.

I did not pack with vaseline, the pickup and gasket is new and sealed good, the gears came with the cover. I used a shaft on a drill and seen oil pumping through the cam sensor opening.

Did you blueprint the cover? I have seen some aftermarket covers have casting flash thathas blocked passages in the cover. Make sure you are using a good gauge. You can also check to see if oil is coming through the turbo feed line. Also what were your bearing clearances on the rods and mains?

I inspected and compared the cover and didnt see any flaws.. The bottom end was rebuilt by a friend of a friend that builds race car engines. I dont know what the clearences are. I used an external gauge to check pressure.

Where you able to build any pressure with the drill? Sometimes the pump won't be able to suck any oil out of the pan without the help of the petroleum jelly packed into the pump. I would first check all the passages for casting flash as posted above, then try packing the housing with petroleum jelly and try and prime it again with someone watching the oil pressure gauge.

Gerry17 said:
I did not pack with vaseline, the pickup and gasket is new and sealed good, the gears came with the cover. I used a shaft on a drill and seen oil pumping through the cam sensor opening.

Where was it coming from? Are you sure the oil galley plugs are installed behind the timing chain?

i just went crazy with this same thing, a new HV cover and put it together 2 times, untill i discovered that an oil pick up hole was completly covered with casting. it was the hole in the middle that doesn't meet another hole on the block. there is an oil passage that goes from the lower oil pickup hole to that center hole and into the oil pump. mine was blocked.....

I would check with who ever built the engine. Most race engine builders are building fords and chevy's. If they used the same setup and clearances you will be pulling that engine again. I would double check before you go to all the trouble of getting it going. Sorry to say this but you really need to be picky on these engines. Alot of oil pressure related items are based on the clearances in Buick engines. Please let us know and I would recheck that cover if it is an after market. Also make sure the oil plugs on the gallies are installed. This maybe causing you some issues too.

I would never start a motor unless I see oil pressure on a gauge. I just rebuilt a motor for a guy and opted to use an oil pump booster plate because of a scored cover. Packed the gears with grease and used a priming tool but couldn't get oil pressure. Tried all I knew, but no go. Took off the booster plate and replaced the pump cover with one in better shape, and as soon as I turned on the drill, I had 60 psi on the gauge.

I removed the cover and inspected again all the holes are there and clear, i then removed the cam gear and found the gallie plugs where missing so i installed new ones, now i have pressure but lose it fast, back to zero. I packed the gears and used the drill method again but still the same problem.

Gerry17 said:
I removed the cover and inspected again all the holes are there and clear, i then removed the cam gear and found the gallie plugs where missing so i installed new ones, now i have pressure but lose it fast, back to zero. I packed the gears and used the drill method again but still the same problem.

The plugs were DEFINATELY why you had zero pressure. How much oil is in the pan while attempting to prime? is it too low?

I found the problem. The gasket that was supplied had an opening that shouldnt of been there. I replaced the gasket and primed and oil presure shot up and stayed there. Thanks all for your input I appreciate all your help. Gerry...

Hah! I was right on the galley plugs. Anyway youe oil pressure will not stay there for hours or seconds on one of these. At least none that I have ever seen. I would however check those clearances. Like I said, these are not chevy or fords. If these clearances are are set to chevy ford specs, you can guarantee you will have other issues. Remmember that alot of the oil pressure control is at the bearing clearances. Hope this helps.