Z06 calipers and rotors.... work on a G-body?

GinoRin

A buddy of mine has a 650 RWHP supercharged 95 TA that I rode in/drove a few times this spring. He installed a set of Corvette Z06 calipers and rotors on this car, and it stops better than my other buddy's fourth gen F body which is outfitted with Baer brakes on all 4 corners. This is impressive to me, but was even more impressive when I found out the cost. I have been pricing out the Baer brakes, as well as wilwood, and theyre both around $1700-2000 by the time you get done with all 4 corners. The Z06 calipers and rotors can be had for under $600 brand new on ebay and from the dealer if you have the right connection (or so I am told). My buddy doesn't seem to think there would be a problem fitting a set of Z06 brakes on a G-body, but obviously we haven't tried so I'm not sure. My question to anyone out there:

1. Is this possible?
2. What would I need to fabricate/ purchase in order to make this work?

I wonder if I purchased the global west offset 1LE control arms and the hotchkis 2" drop spindles if I could make this work? If so, this would be an AWESOME barake upgrade for all G-bodies for a fraction of the cost of the popular kits out there. Any input would definately be appreciated!

Thanks

What is the minimum size wheel that will clear the 12" Rotors?
At that given size, what would be the cheapest wheel??
Thanks,
Jim

heres an idea, see if your friend with the tta would be willing to pull off one side and try it on your car, its probably a lot of work, but at least its not a lot of work and a lot of money too.

Originally posted by gnjim3
What is the minimum size wheel that will clear the 12" Rotors?
At that given size, what would be the cheapest wheel??
Thanks,
Jim

T-type wheels will clear 12" rotors. 13" corvette rotors need 17" wheels (GTA's, GNX's supposedly don't fit)

I know with the Baer 12" set up I needed a spacer to clear my Weld wheels.

I am sure that its only a matter of time before RJC or HR Parts -n- stuff starts making the caliper brackets to mount the 12" and 13" aluminum Corvette PBR calipers.
HINT HINT to the manufacturers out the :D

First off 4th gen F-body and C5 Vette use different hub and rotor so taking parts off one and trying to fit them on a G-body is in no way a bolt on. I'll try to make this short and to the point as I know every body with the B-body spindle swap will chime in with info you are not looking for(and me for that matter). Even though this will be in no way even close to the braking capabilities of your friends car but if you want to do the 12" rotor and Vette caliper on a budget look at the 1LE set up on a 89 TTA. 3rd gen F-body and our G-bodies use the same basic spindle. The only difference is the F is modified for a strut. Now the 1LE uses the stock spindle with a bracket that mounts the caliper and uses a PBR style caliper. If you can round up all of those parts you can use your existing spindles. I wish I could post some pix so you can see how GM did it but the best we can do is maybe one of the TTA guys has some pix to post. All you need is how the stock spindle is cut and modified. If I get a chance I will post what parts and what cars you can get the calipers off of. IMO this is the way to go because you dont need some overpriced set of control arms to make these work. Eric Fisher

This web side does a great job at outlining what needs to be done:

13" C5 Rotor Swap

Since the swap uses the dust shield holes, the same thing could be done with the stock spindles. BAER's stock spindle kit does similar things, by drilling and tapping the stock spindles to mount a caliper hanger bracket.

I would want more than just two bolts holding the bracket to the spindles, though. But, that's just me.

Yes you are right UNGN, I think BAER copied the idea from GM or thats the why all the race shops that I know off have been doing since the 80's anyway. Yeah you would think you should have more than two bolts holding the bracket on but thats even the way the factories did it. It would be nice if some talented vendor would reproduce these brackets as I now see they are discontinued from GM. Eric