Your thoughts on repair quote.....

85_Riv_T

Just a 4100lbs T-type
My engine caught on fire 3 days ago so I took it in to have it looked at and see what the damage was and how much it would cost. They came back with 10 to 15 thou. Yes 10,000 to 15,000. My car still starts, all the elec stills works and there is no body damage. All that I saw wrong with it was my vaccume hoses were done, a plug on the engine, A/C compressor, some of the wire were burnt and thats it. I dont see how it could come to that much money to fix. I have not seen the parts list they are claiming I need but I figure I can buy a new engine and tranny (its a 85 Riviera T-Type) for far less than that along with the wiring and put it in myself. Could this price be even close to being right or are these people smoking crack?

Does your insurance cover that?

You can build one hell of a Riv for 10,000 - 15,000 smackers..... LOL..... J/K

I agree.... if it cranks and runs... it shouldn't cost that much.... got any pics.... some others on here might can gleem a little light on this....

I will have pics of it on friday. I am picking it back up then. The way I see it is that I can get a newer engine and all the computer stuff for far less than 15,000. I think there is a complete 87 GN engine on here for 2,500. If anything i think i might go that route.

A quote of this nature is because they do not want to work on the car. And they figure if one is willing to pay that, then it's worth it to do the work and take the money.

If you can't find someone else best bet is to dive in yourself.

RemoveBeforeFlight

A quote of this nature is because they do not want to work on the car. And they figure if one is willing to pay that, then it's worth it to do the work and take the money.

If you can't find someone else best bet is to dive in yourself.

RemoveBeforeFlight

I think I am just better off getting a new engine. I would think dropping another one in vs. all the time to repair/$$$$ doing that would be more worth it. We will see this weekend. Plus I am going to post some pics of the damage so maybe I could get some pointers from you all.

If you think it's high you need to see the parts list and remember that the parts to fix you car are mostly NOS if you're lucky. When we get a car in for an estimate we look for anything. They may have found things you may not have found because they're used to looking at cars all day.

they told you that, so that you don't take them the car, they figure if he comes back after that quote, they got a live one, to me they are on crack!
my jeep caught fire really bad all i paid was $900

I think I am just better off getting a new engine. I would think dropping another one in vs. all the time to repair/$$$$ doing that would be more worth it. We will see this weekend. Plus I am going to post some pics of the damage so maybe I could get some pointers from you all.

Pic's would be good! I don't understand why you think the fire damaged the engine. Short of melting the valve covers and intake everything else is cast iron. Of course, can always use this as a reason for a new & improved engine ;)

Replace the vacuum lines that are damaged.

For the wiring, that will depend upon how bad it is. It may be that the harness is repairable, it may be that it is better to just get another harness and replace the existing.

RemoveBeforeFlight

They are probably quoting you that price because they don't know what they are dealing with and parts for the Riviera T-type are very scarce. I know I have two of them! A lot of GN stuff will work but then a lot won't. If your car will start and run the you could probably repair the damager yourself.

Jayson