YOUR Thoughts on 84 Converted to 87 GNs...

kTrainHurricane

Vader Drives a GN
Not sure if this is in the right section so please feel free to move it if necessary...

I was wondering what the consensus was on here about swapping an '87 drivetrain into a 1984 car. I was looking at one of these cars before and learned from the gurus that "regardless what motor is in it, it's still a hot-air car and thus worth less." So aside from this point, what are other opinions on it?

I'm considering a local car that is fully converted to 1987 except for the grille. It also was one of those black/tan 1984 cars with the Leir Seigler seats, which are in great condition with 1 small tear in each the driver's seat and passenger's seat...rears are mint. Body has 83k miles. Car is super clean with good paint; doesn't mention rust but from the 40 pics I have seen there doesn't seem to be any. Interior looks great as well but does not have headliner. The car was 99% put together by the local TR mechanic (Freddy of TurboTech) and the owner has $15k worth of receipts of the work. Said motor has "brand new EVERYTHING" and about 500-700 miles on it which includes (but is not limited to):
-John Craig 63 turbo
-55lb injectors
-heads have mild port & polish
-art carr 3500 stall
-brand new eaton posi
-brand new a/c compressor

He's asking $9,000 which I think is a little high, but please correct me if I am wrong. Any additional comments/info is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Even though I find the asking price is a little high, I don't see anything wrong in converting from an '84 to a '87 powertrain...On the contrary, I see it as an upgrade!:wink:

Claude. :smile:

Hot air turbo cars are limited in value. Having an intercooled drivetrain in a definate plus but doesn't make it's resale value comparable to the '86-'87 cars. Also it really doesn't matter how much the guy spent on the car as cost doesn't create value. For $9k you should be able to find a resonable condition intercooled TR. You should keep looking.

Neal

If you are looking for resale value later, keep looking I would say. As for buying a fun car to enjoy, you might be okay. If I were to do it again, as Neal suggested, I might have considered looking a little longer and spending a little more to get an 86/7. I love my GN don't get me wrong. But if times got tough and I had to sell I would probably not make back what I have into it. Again, depends on what you want out of the car, and what your plans are.

9,000 is a little high for a conversion.
Let's say you find a stockish 86-87 for around the same price in good condition. (Which is possible in today's economy)
With the 86-87 there is none of the guess work of figuring out wiring, modifications, etc. Yes it may have been done by an expert but there is still trying to figure out someone else's work. Its not major with the GN but its still a factor. As the others say the resale price is depressed.

Hey Kevin, Still looking huh? Sounds like an ok deal but like others have posted it might be a headache with wiring. Did you sell pontiac? There is alot of good deals if you have cash.

I have a converted car. My State Farm values it at $9500 within being an 85. The car appears to be an 87 but the seasoned TR guy will spot the rear window defrost for a car without a third brake light. Under the hood is a LC2 and a campers harness. My agent said an appraisal would help raise the value. On the street if I drive it to shows I have yet to meet a person to know it was a conversion.
The wiring is simple additions. The A/C, fan, and injector wiring had to be modded. Simple one time mods.

WOW thanks for all the replies I didn't expect this much action! Input is great so far and I appreciate it. The thing I personally like about this car is the black/tan interior instead of black/grey, and the fact is has the matching Lier Seigler (sp?) seats...even though they're not perfect they are VERY clean and you can tell the car was maintainted.

Spoke with the guy some more and he said it runs 15-17lbs no knock via Casper's gauge, and on 110 he runs 20-23lbs again with no knock. Told me Freddy of TurboTech estimated it to run low 11s (at high boost I'm assuming). He said it has never been to the track though, as he uses it for a weekend cruiser...does not DD it either.

9,000 is a little high for a conversion.
Let's say you find a stockish 86-87 for around the same price in good condition. (Which is possible in today's economy)
With the 86-87 there is none of the guess work of figuring out wiring, modifications, etc. Yes it may have been done by an expert but there is still trying to figure out someone else's work. Its not major with the GN but its still a factor. As the others say the resale price is depressed.
In response to this - thank you for pointing this out, but one major thing is the fact that I would be taking the car to Freddy (the guy who put it together) if I ever had any problems. As I said he is the local go-to-guy so whenver I need something I talk to him about it. THe owner said the only "problem" with the car is that he gets a loose ground connection "once every blue moon" with the fuel pump...

I was trying to figure out what wiring issues some were talking about, I just assumed that everyone that did conversions did it the easy way and used an 86/87 harness. I left the 85 wheels on purpose, I just happen to like them better so it's not hard to tell that mine is a conversion but I did not do it with the intention of selling it or misrepresenting it as anything but an 85/87 conversion. I had the option when doing mine to convert my 44K mile engine or pull it and put in a 169K mile 109 engine. I chose to stick with the less desirable and lower mileage original engine and trans. I've already heard on here that the cold air horsepower will destroy the 85 transmission but I'm going to take my chances. I do know that there are some differences in the 85 engine and a 109 block but I did not know of any differences in the transmissions. If and when I break it I will take it to the same guy that built the transmission in my TTA, which by the way was supposed to be beefier than the GN and I broke it bad. If resale was ever an issue I would have just sold the 85 and bought an 87, right now I have exactly the car that I want, beauty and desirability is in the eye (and wallet) of the guy that has the car. If you decide to go ahead with the purchase, you will not be able to sell it to a "purest", that will eliminate about 1/10 of 1 percent of your potential buyers. Your buyer will be someone that says, "cool, I've never seen a GN with that motor and those seats, it MUST be one of a kind". If you're buying it to flip, you're NOT going to make money, if you're buying it for you, it's your wallet, how beautiful is it?

The car is worth what someone will pay for it. That being said, a conversion is not that difficult. Mine was a stock bottom end 84 and 87 top end. You have many more choices of turbos and other improvements. The only change in the block is the turbo drain back hole.
I ran 750s in the eighth and mid 11s in the quarter.
I just built a new stroker but kept the old engine for future use.
Go for it. :smile:

If you decide to go ahead with the purchase, you will not be able to sell it to a "purest", that will eliminate about 1/10 of 1 percent of your potential buyers. Your buyer will be someone that says, "cool, I've never seen a GN with that motor and those seats, it MUST be one of a kind". If you're buying it to flip, you're NOT going to make money, if you're buying it for you, it's your wallet, how beautiful is it?
EXACTLY what I was thinking... My question was more along the lines of "I know conversion cars aren't worth as much as 'true' cars, so what price should I offer instead of his asking of $9k." I, of course, do appreciate the input from everyone and I have thought about resale. But I guess I'm stubborn in that even though I ask my heart kinda knows what it wants, which happens to be an original Leir Seigler GN and I think I found out. Another "odd" thing may be the fact that I would even prefer a T-Top, but I guess since i'm in SFla where it rains every other day not having one available is better for me in the long run...

On the "other site" someone said offer $7500 as an estimate for the car. Would the general population of this forum agree on that as a value or no? Please be honest!

The 84 GN interior is the reason, I never sold my car, after buying it new 2-84. Back in the late 80's my friend had a 85 GN and we drove to the GS Nat's in KY from York PA. He and his wife where complaining about the seats in the 85 being uncomfortable, but the wife and I in the 84 where in good shape, nice lumbar support....
$9,000 already converted with a fresh motor.... let's just say I spent more then that last yr on my current motor and tranny.

Chuck

I say take that nine grand and look for a T-Type or Turbo T. I paid 11,500 for my WE4 when i had it. Before I wrecked it.....

$9000 sounds on the high side

Hi KTrain,

I have to agree with most of the others here that your money will get you better value with an 86 or 87 especially if you're seriously considering laying out upwards of $9,000 for someone else's project car.
It sounds like you have the advantage of knowing the builder who did most of the work on the modifications done to the car.
If you trust his judgment pin him down to an opinion on the basic foundation and fundamentals of the stuff that's been changed (if you're not that familiar with the stuff yourself)
If he values your business also, he can give you his opinions without getting in the middle of anything about asking price.
Good luck with it either way!

Everyone who posted here talks about how the value of the 86/87 is much greater than that of the pre 86/87 cars, but that's because the 86/87 TR's were intercooled and carried the icon of the fastest production car of the years. Well guess what.. you now have the same thing the 86/87's do in your 84 so why wouldn't the car your looking at be just as valuable. If 9 out of 10 people saw your car they wouldn't even know it's not an 86/87. Hell 5/10 would probably think it's a Monte SS. So who cares what other people think of the value or the fact that it's a conversion. If it's what you want then buy it and be happy. Screw everyone else.;)

Being you are in FL if a Hurricane comes will the car have to stay behind in case of evacuation? 86-87 will appraise higher from an insurance stand point.
With the depressed economy you can get a really great deal on a decent mileage original car. 84-85's will equal the later models* when converted to full race versions where the merit of the value is on the construction, modifications, and success of the combination.

*Compared to full race 86-87s

If your really worried about a hurricane taking your car either move out of FL or get an agreed upon value with the insurance company and then you get the same amount (maybe more) the 86/87's do. The only time your car in it's upgraded state may be worth less than the 86/87's is when your going to sell it because people look to buy the intercooled cars, but think of it this way, your car has everything the 86/87's do and if you were willing to pay for an intercooled 84 then that means there's someone else out there who would be willing to do the same. I'll admit I am one of them.

I agree. Most wil never be able to tell. If you go to sell it and they complain about the year...on to the next buyer. Being that mine is an 85 and deemed less desireable, I dont want to hear any whining when I put a turbo LS motor in it!:eek::D