You all suck!

dhjenkins

Now that I've got your attention...lol

There's a nifty new paypal scam out there...at least, I'm assuming it's new, because I get at least 3 phish emails a day and it's the first time I've seen it...

Basically, you get a an email "from paypal";) that looks like a reciept for an ebay purchase; something witty like $300 to laptopseller@yahoo.com.

It's not a security alert or anything like that, but it makes you wanna logon immediately (using the provided link, of course) and check out your account.

Obviously, you shouldn't click on the link, but if you do (and you got the nifty version like I did) it pops open a java window dressed up to look like a regular browser window complete with "https://www.paypal.com/etc..." in the address bar.

If you don't want to get burned, just remember Ebay or Paypal will ALWAYS address you by your full name in an email.

I've also been getting "investigation" emails from "investigations@ebay.com". I freake dout when I read it and clicked the link, put in my name/password, then it came to a screen that wanted ALL my info, CC's everything to verify my info on ebay so they wouldn't suspend my account. It wasn't till then I started to think something is definetly wrong. I immediatly changed my password and reported the email to ebay. They came back to say it was not them at all.

The screen that came up said logon.ebay.com and all, looked real authentic!

I just got a scam email for ebay today too. I clicked on the link and entered my login and password and then saw they wanted Credit card info and thought this isn't right. So I forwarded the email to Spoof@ebay.com and change my password.

These lowlifes are getting too tricky.

David

Whatever you do, resist the urge to click on the link and fill the page up with garbage info. I thought it would be funny once to enter in a bunch of phony information - all that did was tell the guy he had a live email address, so now I get the same email a few times a week. I guess he's hoping more than one person uses this computer...

Also, if your email program automaticaly downloads the images in your messages, it's almost doing the same thing as clicking on the link. Those images are located on the phisherman's website, so at the very least he can log the IP that requests them - if he's good, he'll have customized tags in the email to also tell him which email address goes with that IP.

People who use broadband are really at risk, because without a firewall, your computer can play host to any manner of phishing software (spammers, port scanners, piggy back trojans, etc...) - without you ever noticing a slow down in internet speed.

Bottom line, if you have broadband, and don't have a hardware firewall, get one - software firewalls will always be $hit in comparison. Tigerdirect.com & Buy.com have AWESOME deals from time to time; I got a 4 port DSL router WITH wi-fi for $20 about 6 months ago...

Definetly correct on all points there. I've invested in all the good stuff and always have my email block images. People definetly are getting very crafty with this stuff, I can see how people are easily fooled by it. It's a shame how many people are taken over by it.

I've already been a victim of identity theft and I hadn't even given out my CC # or info to anyone for anything in probably half a year at the time. All of a sudden my CC company calls me up to confirm my address change to some other state? Took over a year and 5 investigations to clear that one up. Lets just say that Fleet (Now Bank of America) sucks the biggest ass there is within reguards to customer service. They were beyond unhelpful at all, no wonder it took over a year and 5 investigations! Get this, they said they cleared it up. Then what do they do? They mail my NEW card to the guy who stole my identity! Then when they fixed that, they did the same thing again, then the guy mailed me the card after he activated it so I wouldn't think anything. Then the next time they mailed the card to me, and my statement to him!

And on another note I also found out someone has been using my Social # since 1985, when I was 4 years old. What the hell

Yeah so....be careful lol :D