Yikes

Vandal1987

Hey guys was doing some work on GN the other day and when I was under the car I noticed a couple bubbles on the passenger rear fender and with furtherer investigation found some loose rusty metal under the wheel well and then discovered another couple spots....:mad::eek: mind you this car has been sitting in the garage for a while and does not come out too often these days as the motor is @ cottons performance getting some upgrades..
Anyhow my question is how long do I have before the paint starts to bubble right thru.. In your guys opinion should I get this resolved ASAP or can it wait till next summer or the one after when I have enough money and the facilities to strip the car down and do it all in one go ??? this car is garage kept believe it or not.
photo 2.JPG
photo 1.JPG

Attachments

• photo 3.JPG
    photo 3.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 107
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    63.1 KB · Views: 111
  • photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 108
  • photo6LQ0R95A.JPG
    photo6LQ0R95A.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 109
  • photoZUUGF0D0.JPG
    photoZUUGF0D0.JPG
    49.3 KB · Views: 109
Where the wheel well and the rear seat meet inside the car is in advanced stages of rust I am just spraying the areas with lithium grease to slow the rust down at the moment
photoY3RXGWC8.JPG
photo 4.JPG
photo 3.JPG
photo 5.JPG

Attachments

• photo6LQ0R95A.JPG
    photo6LQ0R95A.JPG
    48 KB · Views: 126
I would wait and just fix it once. Another year or two won't make that big of a difference.

thanks for reply Rick,. that's kinda what I wanted to hear the place that I got a quote from are making it sound like the car is gonna be completely fubar if I don't get it done ASAP. I can respect the fact that they are running a business and may give me an opinion based on the that very fact...

Under the carpet where rear seats are is pretty bad too,, its at least a dry rust though but its gone right thru I can see the frame and rear wheel :eek:

Well I'm not a body/rust expert LOL! Maybe paint the rust with POR-15 for now. Couldn't hurt. Are the rear body bushings still in place? Mine actually fell out on the driver side :eek: and the one on the p/s is pushing thru the trunk :cry:. I have a date with the body shop in a couple weeks. Always wondered why the car bottomed out with a passenger.

It'll run about $1k to have the body stripped to bare metal. I would wait and do the whole thing, most likely pulling off the frame and getting it cleaned and painted and adding new body bushings. Then again I tend to get a case of Midas disease when working on cars. Midas well do this and that while I'm already in there... It usually snowballs. :eek:

Yea Rick I will prolly end up hitting it with some KBS paint I got around here somewhere until its time to do a whole resto and yea my bushings are totally dicked. So turbo39151 plan also sounds the most viable I might as well just do the WHOLE car in one go.. I think most TR/GN owners suffer from midas disease anyhow..