Yet another launch question

JeffW

Whistlin' on by. Wossshhh
I'm going to the track tomorrow night and need a bit of advice on tire pressure and launch technique. See sig for mods.

I am running Nitto 275/50/15s on Weld draglites. On the street I run 26 or 27 psi. What is a good pressure for these tires at the track ? I do run air bags on both sides, about 7 psi driver, 10 psi passenger. I also run a pinion snubber, which I'm starting to hear is a bad thing, although Ken Mosher had it in his infamous recipe.

Should I go thru the water box and do a big burnout, or bypass and just do a spin clean on the tires ? I don't have a line lock, so heating up the brakes (soft pads are only mod) is bad for holding boost at the line.

I've been reading where some folks build their boost to whatever level they want to launch at (about 5psi for me), then mash the accelerater to the floor on the 2nd to 3rd light and let off the brake. I've always rolled into it to keep traction, but then again, that's why my 60ft times suck.

Let's hear some of your opinions !
Thanks

I run the same tires, I run ~19-20psi. on the street in them, and leave the same pressure for the track, although I hear that ~15psi is optimal(will vary for each car though). The first pass you make at the track with them should be mildly smokey, but after that just enough to really clean them off will suffice for the rest of the night. For your burnout, you should pull around the waterbox, then back into it a little to do your burnout. Do not drive through it!

I use the "launch technique" that you describe, and have yet to find a better way. Some slicks would knock a good chunk off of your 60' times. Also, I make a valve that will spool your turbo quicker, and may help your 60' if you have the traction(I run a TE52 @ 26psi, with my nittos, and launch at 8psi. If I heat them up enough, the only spinning I will do is a slight chirp on the 1-2 shift.) More info can be found here on my Boost Controller.

Snubber-wise, I would lose it, and not look back. :)

-DC:cool: