Yes....another tire size question

VegasSE

Okay guys, sorry about having to ask a question that I'm SURE has been asked, but I can't seem to find the answer after looking around for about a half hour. What exactly is it going to take in terms of modification to the car to fit a MT ET Street 345/35R18 Drag Radial under the car? I don't want them to stick out past the fender lip at all, but am content with some type of look like my Supra. Any guidance would be quite helpful. I would presume this is going to require a mini tub? Thanks.

supratail.jpg

toddsuprarear.jpg

I'm still learning about these cars myself, but you may have to opt for the GNX flares to help with the fender lip issue..

I'm still learning about these cars myself, but you may have to opt for the GNX flares to help with the fender lip issue..

I don't mind notching the frame, rolling the fenders, etc.....Whatever it takes is fine. I just hope someone can tell me exactly what I will need to do so I can start appropriating a budget for the coming mods.

GNX flares make ZERO difference for the amount of room you have for a tire. They bolt up to your EXISTING fender lip, which means the stock fender lip is still in the way, the flares are just for visual appeal. Only on the real GNX did they actually cut away the fender and make more room for tires. Rolling the fender lip slightly would actually net you more room than the GNX flares.

At the very least it would require a severe frame notch and possibly tubbing the wheel wells.

Rather than guessing, all you have to do is purchase the tires you want, put the car on jack stands, remove the wheels, and put the new tires and/or wheels into place and visually check where it will rub. Then you'll know what needs to be removed.

GNX flares make ZERO difference for the amount of room you have for a tire. They bolt up to your EXISTING fender lip, which means the stock fender lip is still in the way, the flares are just for visual appeal.....

Right. I know this, but I just reccomended them in case they still stuck out a little AFTER THE FACT. Since this guy plans on putting tons of $$$$$ into this car, I figured might as well, right? I'm sure he had planned on buying them anyway.. I had to modify the fenderwells in my lowered WS6 a little to fit my 17x11s. I understood the question and how to fit big wheels into a car, just wasn't sure on how much he had to notch the frame (and exactly where) on the GN, since it actually HAS a frame, unlike my T/A. Again, I'm learning too, I'm about to start on my GN project once funds permit. So please refrain from bashing, thanks. :)

Frame notch for sure. Here's a pic of my 295/35/18's I've only got 1/2" clearance between the tire and frame and also had to trim a 1/2" off the fender lip so the tire wouldn't rub. Hope the pic helps,

Stuart

Attachments

• 2006_0522Buick0012a.jpg
    2006_0522Buick0012a.jpg
    68.5 KB · Views: 2,592
The car looks BEAUTIFUL, man. I'm not so sure if I like that rake or not. Do you have any other pics from the side or anything?

VegasSE, maybe you should talk to this guy, his tires look at least 345's:eek:

Here's his site :: 18 TO 1 ::

Stuart

Attachments

• 18to1.jpg
    18to1.jpg
    57.4 KB · Views: 16,074
VegasSE, maybe you should talk to this guy, his tires look at least 345's:eek:

Here's his site :: 18 TO 1 ::

Stuart

Yea that looks tubbed out. That would be a little more radical than I'm looking to go. I want a big drag radial and a mini tub might be okay, but I want to stay away from that completely back halfed look.

Frame notch for sure. Here's a pic of my 295/35/18's I've only got 1/2" clearance between the tire and frame and also had to trim a 1/2" off the fender lip so the tire wouldn't rub. Hope the pic helps,

Stuart

Good info. How does the car hook up on those? What tires are you running? What is the whp you are putting down? Thanks.

I'm running Toyo T1R's, they hook well off the line and are great for cornering!
Last dyno pull 400rwhp and 450rwtq, ....nothing like the 1000hp your looking for!!

02WS686GN...Actually the car sits pretty well level, the picture was taken on an incline, don't have any good side pics right now, when I get it off the stands (winter storage) I'll take some side shots

Stuart

I had my frame notched and went with a higher offset +20mm then used a 1 inch spacer to keep the wheels off the frame but still near the fender lip I have no rub issuses. 305/35/20

I am trying to see if I can stuff 355/25-19s on my car; it's a 25.9 incher.* * I would like to put 10" wide wheels in the front and maybe 12 to 13s in the rear with a notch.* It just came out the body shop with mods done to the fenders and the FLARES on all 4 corners.* I haven't purchased the wheels yet, though.* Before the mods, my body guy sized a Michelin 345/35-19 Viper rear tire on my car to see how everything would fit.* Looks like it could be possible with a notch.* Here are some pics.

07Convention 008.jpg

07Convention 015.jpg

DSC_0220.jpg

DSC_0223.jpg

DSC_0253.jpg