Years later, it still makes me chuckle...

SrBenelli

I've got turbo envy
Hey everyone! I'm new to your board, but I must say, y'all got a great one here!
While I don't currently own a turbo Buick, back in the late 80's/early 90's, I had an 85 Regal T-type (non-intercooled turbo). I later sold it to aquire an 87 Olds 442...which I lost durring my divorce a few years ago (but I'm not bitter...really! :mad: ). Now that my finances are settling down, I feel the need for some '80s GM muscle once again....I'll hopefully be buying another real soon.
Anyway, getting bact to my story, back in the spring of 90, I was cruisin' the Regal on a 4 lane, divided highway at about 50/60mph or so. I had the green light going under a highway interchange and cruised on through, noticing a black Monte SS preparing to turn in my direction. As I checked my 6, I noticed a cloud of tire smoke as he power slid into my lane behind me (about a 1/4 mile back by now) and hammered it to catch me.
Well, there wasn't a soul on the road 'cept us two, so I kept an eye on him as he stayed in my lane, running hard to catch me (I still was cruising at my original speed).
He got right on my ass, whipped into the granny lane and hammered it. I said "Oh no you don't!" and floored it. He had originally got about a half legnth on me, which I quickly made up for my getting about 3/4's on him...till the light turned red ahead! We both came to a stop, me in the left lane...him in the right.
Well, of course it was on now! I gently applied a bit of throttle, enough to give me a head start to spool up, but not enough to be overly noticable. The light dropped and I launched hard, holeshot him somthing fierce, gaining almost a legnth and 1/2 before he even began to leave the line!!! :eek:
I was confident I had him solid, so I checked my 6 in the mirror......and saw the Monte shudder, and then belch out a ton of white from the exaust!:p Needless to say, he got slower and slower till he limped off the road into a parking lot...
I guess I should've swung around and offered to help, but I was alot younger then. And with all the imports buzzing around today, I'd definately stop to help a fellow General Motors racer.
I'll tell you....that happened almost 13 years ago, and I still get a kick out of it. I've raced hundreds of times before...and since. I've won most times....lost a few. But never before did I "kill" the compatition.
Hopefully soon, I'll replace that old Regal with somthing......preferably with a 3.8 turbo under the hood!

Times sure have changed. It wouldnt bother any of us to see a civic blow up but seeing a Monte SS blow is like watching your brother file for bankruptcy:(

Originally posted by blackbuick87
Times sure have changed. It wouldnt bother any of us to see a civic blow up but seeing a Monte SS blow is like watching your brother file for bankruptcy:(

Damn True!

I wuv Montes. I was gonna get one before I stumbled onto my GN. I like Buick power better, but I still want an 87 SS Aerocoupe!;)

Originally posted by BlackBuick84
I wuv Montes. I was gonna get one before I stumbled onto my GN. I like Buick power better, but I still want an 87 SS Aerocoupe!;)
So do I! Actually, I've got a soft spot for pretty much all G-Bodies....except Pont. G.P.s....they're pretty much butt ugly! :p
I've owned a Turbo Regal, an Olds 442 and my next toy was going to be an SS....unless I can score a deal on another Turbo (they're typically a bit pricy and my bank account is still suffering from the ex. wife :mad:
Every time the local radio station has an '80s night, it makes me homesick for another Regal.

I wish I had a......

.....Olds 442, or a GN, those are my 2 favorite G-bodies.

For some strange reason, I like the looks of a nice 442 over a GN, even though they are similar.