WTT Rare '85 Dodge Omni GLH for '86-'87 T Type or GN

turbov6vette

Up for trade is a rare '85 Dodge Omni GLH - one of only 3004 carb'd GLH's that year. As the story goes, Carrol Shelby, the designer, coined the GLH acronymn which stands for "Goes Like Hell". The GLH IS the ultimate sleeper car - as demonstrated in this Omni GLH vs. Corvette Z06 drag video at youtube.com/watch?v=LvHcxNJG7is.

I'd like to trade for an '86 or '87 T Type or GN with 100K'ish mileage (+ or -)that's in fairly decent shape with a strong running motor and tranny (recent mods / rebuilds are good). A car that maybe needs a little TLC and spiffing up. I've played with a lot of different HP cars over the past 30+ years, and I'd like to play with a Turbo Buick now. This would be my first.

My Omni GLH has 97K+ on it and the body, engine, A525 MTX, clutch and everything is in VGC. The paint is in good shape, too. Basically, it's a black 2000+ lb. FWD "go cart". Very autoX'able, SCCA'able and just a whole lot of fun to drive.

I also have a shed-full of upgrade, modification and performance parts to go along with the car, which include:
- Full 2.5L TII Turbo engine
- 2.5 HO block
- Full Set of Racing Pistons
- Coveted A555 (5) speed MTX (1988 New Venture Gear)
- 2 leather bucket seats VGC
- Stock "pizza-style" 15" rims
- Garrett 42 turbo and stock Chrysler T1 Turbo
- Dual Weber DCOE 40mm side draft high performance carb w/ beefy intake
- New Racing Clutch
- Full 2.5L turbo engine wiring harness and turbo PCM
- Heavy duty Daytona Turbo struts and springs
- Too many more parts to list

Basically, everything you need to turn this this fun-to-drive sleeper into a high performance carb'd N/A or Turbo'd GLH 11 - 12 sec. beast. If someone was really bold and clever, they might be able to modify this into 9 - 10 sec. RWD Buick V6 turbo powered intercooled GLH freak. Think power vs. weight ratio... It would certainly be a one-of-a-kind vehicle.

I'm located in the Rochester, NY area. I'd be open to swaps up to @ 200 -250 mile radius of Rochester. Please feel free to post your swap, pm me or email me at esg@esgn.com (with pics, too). Leave me your email address and I'll send pics of my Omni GLH to all interested swap mates this weekend.

Looking forward to seeing some swap offers from fellow TB'ers who would like to help officially induct me into the TB Club. That would make my millenium and put a smile on my face for a long time to come :D

Might have better luck selling it on one of the Dodge boards... then coming back over here to buy a nice car.

I used to have a '88 ShelbyZ Datona... TII/A555 and an '89 Shadow ES turbo with a 2.5 T1.

Got a buddy with an original owner since new '86 GLHS omni.... cream puff. I bet alot of the Buick guys on here don't realize the '86 GLHS was a mid 14 second car from the factory.... pretty nice sleeper in it's own rite.

Good luck with your sale.

Yes, the GLH's are definitely one of the ultimate sleeper cars - like the Turbo Buicks. People never think twice about me at a stop light - until the smoke rises and they see my tail lights fading in the distance. You TB guys know what I'm talking about. That's why I'm looking to join the Club.

I wanted to try the swap route here at TB first and see if I could pick up a somewhat challenged TB in upper mileage range. Obviously, I'm not expecting an even trade for a GNX, but I did expect at least a bite or two from a knowledgable collector that has way too many TBs in inventory.

I'm sure TBs are great - never having driven one before - but I can tell you that GLHs are a whole lot of fun in their own right. Here's an 11 sec. GLH owner having fun beating a Corvette Z06:
YouTube - Omni GLH Turbo vs. Corvette Z06

I've got one that "Goes Like Hell", too, with all the parts to make it an 11 - 12sec. turbo 4 banger. Come on guys, check your inventory and dig out one of your project TBs that needs some attention and expand your horizons into a nice black Omni GLH. Consider this: YouTube - 1986 dodge omni glh street racing compilation

Back in the day I raced a glh. I will tell you that car surprised me and my buddy. I had boost set at 13lbs. Just cruzin and this car comes along side me and stupid me i told him to take his moms car home. then i stomped on it laughing and my buddy said wtf and i looked over and he was even with me so i turned boost up to 22lbs and pulled away from him. that car was a great sleeper.we pulled over and talked to him and he said he ran high 12's.He was telling the truth because i was running low 12"s on drag radials. I dont think your going to fine anyone on this site to buy or trade for a glh. you should hear what is said about vipers:eek: I like the car though.I would keep the car and get a buick to. good luck

Good story, thanks. Yeah, the GLHs really catch a lot of people by surprise. It's an excellent straight-line smoker, albeit not as smokin' as a TB, but put me on a twisty road and I'll see you all later. :wink:

I'd consider any running (or near to running shape) TB vehicle swap from '84 - '87. I want a TB smoker to play with now, which is why I posed the swap. If there aren't any "Turbo Dodge curious" TB members out the with extra vehicles to trade, then I'll take it over to TurboDodge.com where I'm a member, also. It'll definitely be gone in a flash there for cash.

A swap would be easier, though. We'll see what happens.

lol! man those cars are silly looking:D but have some serious potential:eek:
but I would'nt be cought riding one of those, not everybody would understand:eek:

I'd consider any running (or near to running shape) TB vehicle swap from '84 - '87.

IMHO.... only go after the '86 or '87 intyercooled cars. While the non-intercooled cars can be had a bit cheaper.... you will likely want to convert it to intercooled anyway....

In the end the intercooled cars will bring more $$ now..... and down the road....

Yeah, it's got that funky VW Rabbit hatchback look, which I like personally. It grows on you. It's that highly inconspicuous look that makes the GLH one of the biggest sleepers ever. The GLH does get a lot of second looks from the young Honda, Mitsubishi and VW tuners (and the old timers who know what it is) - because they can't seem to figure out what make and model import it is. They're usually quite surprised to find out that it was an old domestic Dodge 2.2L 4 banger that just smoked their rice-eating doors off. :eek: :D

QUOTE: IMHO.... only go after the '86 or '87 intyercooled cars. While the non-intercooled cars can be had a bit cheaper.... you will likely want to convert it to intercooled anyway....

In the end the intercooled cars will bring more $$ now..... and down the road....
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Yes, any '86 - '87 TB would certainly be my preference for a swap. What are challenges with upgrading the older '83 - '85 hot air TBs to an intercooled set up? I'm sure it's not as simple as just piping in an intercooler. How might this be done?

I have my eyes on an '84 Grand National right now with an electric fan mod, so there's plenty of room available in the front of the engine (where the stock fan and shroud would normally be) to rig in a beefy intercooler.

That car would make an awesome DD. I tried for the longest time to find a daytona shelbyz with a 5 speed TurboII motor, no luck though. Even though it is a dodge it would be a nice compliment to a TB. You might be better off selling the car outright on turbododge.com and buying someone's rustbucket ICTB. Those are the only ones that go cheap. Should be able to get a running one for under 5k. If it was me I would sell the vette, keep the omni for a DD, and buy a decent GN. People fear what they don't know:cool:

Yeah, it's a ripper. I guess there's not much interest here, so I take it over TurboDodge.com and sell it there.