Wrx

sorry Nick but the 2' UGLY useless spoiler on an STI is *RICE*
The rest of the car is pretty nice.. The spoiler screams "look at me!! I'm a goofy kid driving!"

At least in the EVO you can get it without a spoiler..

An item that has no purpose then to scream this is rice... period. The spoiler fits right in this catagory.
It looks like a shopping cart..:rolleyes:

The bottom line is that its a Subaru.. And in 18 years see what it will be worth.. As compared to the Cobra.. The kid who bought an STI today will grow up by then and will be to embarrassed to drive it then.. :) The Cobra will never get outdated..

Originally posted by FlyinGN
The bottom line is that its a Subaru.. And in 18 years see what it will be worth.. As compared to the Cobra.. The kid who bought an STI today will grow up by then and will be to embarrassed to drive it then.. :) The Cobra will never get outdated..

Be careful there. 98 to 2001 Impreza RS 2.5s are still fetching $16,000 on used car lots, and they were only $18,000 new.

You aren't going to find that kind of value retention on any Mustang, unless it says "Shelby" on it.

umm, 89 to 01 cars? Dude they are only a few years old. I said in 18 years.. See what a Cobra will be worth as compared to the sube.. Show me ANY Subaru worth anything that is over 20 years old.. The XT?? hardly??? Name ONE..

I did a ebay completed search and found a few of the cars you speak of..

lets see...

*00 sedan with 29k miles had NO bidders for a start price of $11.5
*00 sedan with 75k miles went to $8300 . No sale
*00 sedan with 58k miles went for $10.3..
*98 coupe with 100k miles went for $7200
*00 couple with 75k miles went for $9400

Hardly the $$ you said they are bringing..

If the STI is still running after being a daily driver for 18 years, didnt it pay for itself? I will admit, the rear spoiler is a little excessive, but other than that, the car is pretty nice.

The rear spoiler is functional. It is a rally inspired car. If you ever watch WRC you would notice that every car in that race has a spoiler similar to the STi's. If you dont like the spoiler many WRX owners are willing to trade trunks. I guess it is a subaru thing. A rice spoiler would be made out of plastic, alluminum and non functional. Everything on Ebay is cheaper, and that is auction, most likely the cars have not met their reserve. Go to autotrader.com to see real prices. In 18 years the mustang will still be refered to a rustang. Are there any 1985 mustang that are respected? An 18 year old Subaru wasnt respectable in america. Their early focus was low price awd. Subaru started making performance cars in the early 1990's in Japan and those cars are still respectable today. The WRX has been in Japan for over 5 years and is still respectable. The brand new 2004 mustang is on the same chassis as the 1978 models, and most mustangs dont hold their value worth sh*t, excluding Saleen, and Shelby. Hell new mustangs are a joke, the only reason people buy them is there are no more V8 rwd cars under 50,000 besides the pony car. The new GT has only 260 hp and 302 ft/lb. STi has 300hp 300 ft/lbs. The motor also has 4 less cylinders. It also weighs 84 lbs less than the pony. Both the WRX and the STi can out tow the V8. The new mustang cobra also costs about 5,000 more than an STi. Just to show what company stands behind their vehicle more FORD: powertrain 36000 miles 36 months. SUBARU: 60000 miles 60 months.

Nick

Nick, one question.. How old are you??

umm, do u think that people who buy sti's race wrc?? Get a clue.. ITS NOT FUNCTIONAL on the street> if you think otherwise .. no comment.. Its not worth debating. I have been around collector cars prolly longer then you have been living.. If you think a old Subaru is worth as much as an old Mustang.. You are in fantasyland.

Originally posted by I eat Z06
That 9 second WRX is the Easy Street, he just bumped down the time to a 9.75@137.98. The damn things just don't break. That is true about the STi. However for the WRX, the 5mt tranny is made out of glass, with crystal gears.

Nick

The Easy Street car breaks all the time!!!! The last race that I was working for IDRC, he was breaking axles on every pass at Palmdale. Engines and trannies are also things that he breaks often.:)

In 18 years the mustang will still be refered to a rustang. Are there any 1985 mustang that are respected?

SVO are very nice cars.

The brand new 2004 mustang is on the same chassis as the 1978 models, and most mustangs dont hold their value worth sh*t, excluding Saleen, and Shelby. Hell new mustangs are a joke, the only reason people buy them is there are no more V8 rwd cars under 50,000 besides the pony car. The new GT has only 260 hp and 302 ft/lb. STi has 300hp 300 ft/lbs.

If Mustangs are a Joke what is the WRX and the rest of the Subaru lineup?
20k after rebates for a GT is a good reason to get one.

Just to show what company stands behind their vehicle more FORD: powertrain 36000 miles 36 months. SUBARU: 60000 miles 60 months.

Or is it because no one will buy a Subaru without an extended warranty?

You are a RICER Nick

I wasnt referring to the Easy Street car not breaking. Just the STi 6 speed being very reliable. Sorry for the confusion. Stating that the STi is a joke is plain stupid. It has a 4 cylinder motor that produces more power than all N/A ford car V8's. The slowest area for an awd vehicle is the straight 1/4 mile and it is capable of high 12's stock there. The real place this car shines is on a twisty track, or loose pavement. FlyinGN re-read what I said about an 18 year old subaru. I didnt say anything about an old subaru being worth anything. A 4 year old or newer Subaru holds its value very well. A used 2003 WRX with 20,000 miles on it is worth $20,000 on kbb. New it was $24,000. A 2003 Mustang GT with 20,000 miles is worth $17,000 on kbb. A 03 Cobra is $26,000, almost 10 grand lost in 1 year. Which one do you think is going to hold its value? Subaru's are selling for MRSP and higher, ford is selling for under, maybee thats the only reason people are buying them. The Impreza line is in the same class as the Focus and beating up on fords top dog. Do you think people buy a car w/o a radio, underbody sound deadning, a sport suspension, racing seats, light weight wheels, racing tires, and brembo breaks not to race it? The car comes with a 1 year SCCA membership. Yeah I know people race these cars. Speaking of collector car, our family owns a 1960 Corvette, 1987 GN, 1998 Hummer, 2000 Yukon XL customized, 2001 Jaguar XKR coupe, and a 2003 WRX. Used to have a 1963 split window Corvette, 1978 Corvette Pace Car, and a 2000 Jaguar XJR. I think that I have been around some collectors cars.

Nick

I think that any cars that can beat cars twice the price arent rice...the Cobras are cool too, but you gotta remeber FORD also puts on items that are "FULLY FUNCTIONAL.......for astetics only..." The hood scoop...Rex's is functional...not the Mustang's...
But IMO, I dont think we should be worrying about if a spoiler=rice or not, we should be talking about how bad our turbo cars beat the tar out of everything on the street!

once again Nick you are talking out yur butt hole.
Lincoln Navagator has 300 hp and MORE IMPORTANTLY 355 lb/ft of torque

Mach One has 305 hp and 320 ft/lbs torque.

Ya wana go back now and edit what you said..

Two things 1. The Navigator isnt a CAR and 2. I forgot that Ford made a V8 that has 5 horsepower more than Subaru's 4 cylinder. Ford has a V8 and still only makes 20 ft/lb more. The Subaru also weighs 206lbs less. Power to weight ratio for ford is 11.37lbs to 1 hp, Subaru is 10.88lbs to 1 hp. Ford is ahead of Subaru in torque to weight ratio by .04ft/lbs. All these comparasons are with a manual mach I. According to Road and Track, 0-60 the STi beats the Mach 1 by .3 seconds and takes the same ammount of time as the SVT with 4.9 seconds. The SVT cobra runs a 13.3 1/4 mile while the STi ran the exact same time. In 100% of the comparasons it is going to be a driver vs. driver race. Subaru's top dog runs next to Fords with 85 hp less, and 90 ft/lbs less. Subaru obviously whoops on all the N/A fords. The Subaru also has one major factor that SVT dosnt, if you live where there is snow, you can drive the STi year round.

Nick

Originally posted by FlyinGN
umm, 89 to 01 cars? Dude they are only a few years old. I said in 18 years.. See what a Cobra will be worth as compared to the sube.. Show me ANY Subaru worth anything that is over 20 years old.. The XT?? hardly??? Name ONE..

I did a ebay completed search and found a few of the cars you speak of..

lets see...

*00 sedan with 29k miles had NO bidders for a start price of $11.5
*00 sedan with 75k miles went to $8300 . No sale
*00 sedan with 58k miles went for $10.3..
*98 coupe with 100k miles went for $7200
*00 couple with 75k miles went for $9400

Hardly the $$ you said they are bringing..

Those cars are sitting on dealer lots here in Louisville fetching $16K, and I did say 98 to 01 2.5 RS's, the Impreza that looked like overseas WRXs, but only had the 2.5L NA motor.

However, even at the prices you found on Ebay, that's ~50% depreciation in three to four years.

But since we're talking Ebay now:
1999 Cobra Convertible, 12900
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446917637&category=6236
2000 GT, 8600
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446871346&category=6236
2000 GT, 8000
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446575429&category=6236
1999 GT, 3533
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2446825856&category=6236

Now, given the sticker prices of each of those cars was well north of 20 grand, I think its pretty obvious which is holding the value better. Don't even make me go dig up the JD Power initial quality surveys on the things, either.

It'll be a miracle if that Cobra is even running in 18 years, let alone fetching anywhere near a respectable amount. Its not a Shelby.

Who here respects a 1984-1987 Mustang? We all respect 84-7 Buicks. The 87 IROC Z is more respectable than an 87 rustang. A 2002 T/A WS6 is more respectable than a Cobra. The only Ford that will have respect 18 years from now will be the soon to come Ford GT.

Nick

The car comes with a 1 year SCCA membership.
Nick

Marketing gimick! It's widely known that Subaru of North America voided many a warranty on the WRXs simply for autocrossing.

I haven't checked, but I believe the flak they caught for doing so led them to recind the offer on the STIs.

Scott

GN SBS, I have some basic information on that. I am a member of the SCCA b/c of Subaru. There is a satement referring to the warranty, "The Subaru Limited Warranty does not cover damage to any component that results from operating the vehicle in any competition or racing event." Subaru of America.

Nick

IrvJr

Sorry man but it looks like your post has been completely hijacked to the point where it is just a pissing contest. It is ashame that this thread had boiled down to pointless drivel about this make verese that :mad:

To the rest of you involved in the rantings and ravings:
Who gives a S***!! This is a Kill-Fish Story page supposedly about Buicks. We have no moderator here anymore to move the damn thing to the Lounge where it obviously belongs now.

Some of the older members I see here know better. You know who you are.:eek:

Back to the WRX vs. GN. All WRX's (if driven correctly) will kill us off the line. Then our turbos kick in, or we get traction. This was posted before, but it fits into place under this thread. My buddy was in my WRX and I was in the GN. He had about a two car length ahead of me, then the turbo kicked in. Went rocketing by the Subie.:D

Nick

I didnt mind. I learned the diff between the WRX and the STI, which i saw one recently, so i knew where to look for the badges. Hopefully soon i can try one of those out.

Scott

With your car set up the way it is, should be able to take a STi. A modded STi and you would be a good driver vs. driver confrontation. The STi will leap better than the WRX did, but you still have BUICK BOOST. :D :D When I get the STi I will post to let everyone know how it ran vs. my GN. Hopefull I could do it at a track. That would be the best comparason.

Nick