WRX, Evo, STX: Which is a Good Invesment/Daily Driver?

70-71-72

I have a sister-in-law who is looking for a newer car. Probably will have to go with Used to stay within her price range. I thought she should get something that will hold its value better plus have something unique for a 24yo girl. What would be a good suggestion in a $15k-$20k price range? Be specific if you can because I don't much much about the rarer versions of these kinda cars.

I would suggest that she get a TR but I want to have the only one in our family :wink: plus she probably needs something newer as a daily driver. She views our cars as old school (and not in a good way!)

Get a Honda Civic SI, ~200 HP and bulletproof Honda quality/resale value.

WRX/EVO/STi tend to lead a tough life and are beaten on, but are fun cars.
Does she drive a stick?

fitz3820 said:
Does she drive a stick?

I don't know. It's time she learned, if not, before they quit makin' em. ;)

Thanks for the advice. I'll run that one by her.

lol I thought you were talking about a f-150 stx edition... I love the WRX's one of the guys at my work has one, it is a fun ride :D .

If shes an average 24 y-o chick I wouldnt bother with getting anything actually fast, something that looks sporty, good on gas, reliable, and not rare would be my suggestion. Odds are its going to get its share of dings and dents.

dont get a evo, those dumb things have knock right from the factory. all kinds of ignition problems, check out the car and driver long haul road test or whatever they call it. now the neon should prob hold up ok mechanically but its nothin more than a newer version of the old eclipse turbo engine, and those neons are terrible in accidents. look them up for crash test ratings, theyre death traps. now on the other hand the subaru is a great car, but they dent pretty easy, and dents dont come out of an aluminum alloy hood too well. but anywho i agree with pablo, she should get a cobalt, or a focus, or some other chick car.

boo evos. Mitsu WILL find a way to void your warrenty no matter what. Besides, the Scoob looks better!
Just get her a Miata or an Eclipse - they LOOK fast(ish) and girls love 'em.
Scoobs seem to be holding their values quite well anyway,
or an RX-8 :p``````
(if you think she will remember to add oil so she doesn't destroy that wonderful rotary)

I had a 2004 WRX wagon 5 spd for 2 years. Great little car. Quick, has lots of room to haul stuff and holds its value really well.

I may have finally come up with something! What do you guys think about getting her a Typhoon? They hold/have held their value pretty good, right? AWD so can be used in the winter, a little bigger than the pocket rockets so it might be safer in a crash, a little less radical? Whatdaya think? Any negative opinions on those?

70-71-72 said:
I may have finally come up with something! What do you guys think about getting her a Typhoon? They hold/have held their value pretty good, right? AWD so can be used in the winter, a little bigger than the pocket rockets so it might be safer in a crash, a little less radical? Whatdaya think? Any negative opinions on those?

she would walk home after parking it at the mall.
stick to the chick cars and beaters.
the first thing familly would say "its you fault for telling her to get that thief magnet"

that and its old enough that it might strand her. Have you asked her what kind of cars she thinks are "cute" or what her girlfriends like?

I too looked at Sy/Ty's when looking for an AWD beater. Looked at Toyota Matrix, EVO, WRX, GMC trucks, but decided on the WRX Wagon because of resale and reliability in the mountains just west of Denver, Co. I took a 17% depreciation over 2 years on it. In the end when I sold it, the car only cost me less than $200 a month to drive it for two years. Call me crazy, but the rice resale market is always strong if you take care of your car.

alvin87gn said:
now the neon should prob hold up ok mechanically but its nothin more than a newer version of the old eclipse turbo engine, and those neons are terrible in accidents. .

The Neon never had the 2.0l 4G63 turbo eclipse/talon/DSM motor - The SRT4's EDV/EDT engine (2.4l) is a Chrysler design.

Subaru Forestor XT Turbo

13.9 in the 1/4, SUV styling, security and safety that girls love.

Resale value better than ANY of the boy racers (try to buy a used XT turbo).

Having owned an 03 EVO, I can say they make a very nice daily driver but are still pretty expensive. I would go with the WRX. A nice one can be picked up for 10-12K$ and they are pretty reliable. A friend of mine has an 01 and with afew mods and its always been reliable. He just picked up a wagon too for his wife and new baby.

I'd say go with the WRX for the resale and reliability factor. Of course I'm biased because I own an '05 Saab 92X Aero (rebadged WRX Wagon). Of course, does she really want any of these cars, or are you trying to decide for her?? Most girls could care less about having a turbo under the hood. I'd most likely ask her for a list of what she's into and pick whichever car has the best reliability and safety track record out of the bunch. Plus, if you get her a WRX, EVO, etc there's a good chance she'll start dating some ricer guy who starts doing half-ass mods to her car and beats the crap out of it. Trust me, I've seen it happen too many times.

70-71-72 said:

are you nuts? Might as well get her a GN