Would rear 4x10 be just as good as 6x9?

Steves87

I posted about the adapters to fit the 6x9's in the rear deck. Seems to be issues with the right speaker fitting due to magnet size and also someone posted about not getting great base reponse using the brackets. Would I be better off with a 4x10 speaker such as an Eclipse or similar 3 way? At least these would fit like the stock speaker.

I am not looking to win any audio contests. I just want to get a good set of speakers to improve sound for better clarity and bass.

Originally posted by Steves87
I am not looking to win any audio contests. I just want to get a good set of speakers to improve sound for better clarity and bass.

Like I mentioned before most of the 6 x 9's should fit....If you are so worried about fitting problems go with the 4 x 10's, 4 x 10's usually cost more than 6 x 9's and most of the shops don't stock it...

I am somewhat worried on fit since I was going to order Crutchfield since they supply the connections. Since I am not sure what magnet diameter works I don't want to be returning speaker after speaker. Then I read someone posted that 6x9's don't have sound issues due to the adapters.

Maybe someone would measure the depth of their 6 x 9's for you.

I think you have to worry about the depth not the diameter of the magnet. The issues you might be talking about is getting a good seal on those adapters. I usually screw up the adapters to the rear deck. 6 x 9's has a bigger cone area vs. a 4 x 10 so in return you have a better bass response, also if you are running the speakers without an external amplifier it will be a good idea to look for a speaker the the sensitivity is above 92db's.

Thanks for the reply. I was hoping to have people chime in and tell my brands that have worked for them. Personally I was going to get the Infinity but accoring to all that repsonded they dont work.

My Pioneer 4-way 6x9's didn't fit well. I used the adapters and the magnet were rubbing on the trunk spring rods.

Of course I installed these in my youth and didn't really know what those rods were for. A girlfriends dad at the time helped me heat the rods up and bend them to clear the magnets.

They look absolutely beautiful and the bends look like they came from the factory. Too bad they lost all of their tension and would no longer hold up the trunk. :( I've put up with them for probably 7 years like that.

I got my 4x10 speakers from Radio Shack and they sound good
along with the stereo i installed from 99 Chev Tahoe.:cool:

I believe most 6x9's rub on the trunk torsion bars, my el cheepo Kenwoods did. I didn't have to bend the bars to make them fit though. They just rub. Otherwise, with the right adapters, they fit great and sound great.

Id go with the 6x9's. My 4 way kenwoods with adapors fit well. The rods can rub against the magnets, it won't hurt em..

I was the one that stated about the bass being muffled because of the adapters. I put some washers to space them out and got a better response. They are ok but still not what I am used to sound quality wise. The problem with the 4x10's is that only I few companies make them. Also don't but any of the Pyle, or Pyramid off brands - I tried to save some cash bought some cheapos and I blew them out with the head unit only in about 2 days.

Sorry no good answer but I'm scared to drop $99 on some Sonys and have them suck as well.

I cann tell ya that the adaptors don't muffle the bass in my car.. The bass can rattle the outside mirrors at 1/4 volume..

I have Alpine 6x9's in my SS. They clear the rods with a little room to spare. The bass will thump pretty good with my '01 Monsoon cassette HU (stock no external amp).
Larry.

Hey guys, new to the forum.

Just searched google, and found this discussion.

Having some problems with installing 6x9's in my '86 Regal. I bought that 4x10 adapters but they don't fit! Kind of at a loss on what to do. Has anyone build an enclosure, installed it above the decklid, and drilled through the decklid to hook up the wiring? I think that is my only option now. Running Type S Alpine's.

- Randy