would a 40 pound chip work with 42.5

Boost231

What's An Intercooler
Staff member
would a chip made for 40 lb injectors work on 42.5? the only thing i could see it doing is make the car run a little fat. but not much its not like your going from 40's to 50 or anything what do u think?

brent

It would run ok but not the best. Not only are you run 2.5lbs fatter but the fuel curve will probably be wrong. So you might have tip in stumble or a lack of power compared to the correct chip. I would run the correct chip.

Chuck

If they are 42# Lucas injectors, it wouldn't work well at all. If they're 42# Bosch injectors you might get away with it. Depends on how thw 40# chip is set up to begin with.

Originally posted by wilkinshc
It would run ok but not the best. Not only are you run 2.5lbs fatter but the fuel curve will probably be wrong. So you might have tip in stumble or a lack of power compared to the correct chip. I would run the correct chip.

Chuck
Actually, 009's are like 70% larger than stock at low pulsewidths then scale doen to the 40something % larger than the should be as PW goes up. I'm with Jay (of course) the cal if 009's were used would be nasty bad.

>>
Actually, 009's are like 70% larger than stock at low pulsewidths then scale doen to the 40something % larger than the should be as PW goes up. I'm with Jay (of course) the cal if 009's were used would be nasty bad >>

If the 009's are 70% larger then stock what does that have to do with a chip setup for 40lb injectors. Grant the 009's flow curve is not the same as the 40lb injectors hence I said it might have tip in stumble or be rich but it should get you back and forth to work. I have seen blue top chip in a car that was running msd 50's and it ran fairly well. All the blms were in the 128's but it did run decent, not optimum. I would definitely recommend the correct chip.

Chuck

Originally posted by wilkinshc
>>
Actually, 009's are like 70% larger than stock at low pulsewidths then scale doen to the 40something % larger than the should be as PW goes up. I'm with Jay (of course) the cal if 009's were used would be nasty bad >>

If the 009's are 70% larger then stock what does that have to do with a chip setup for 40lb injectors. Grant the 009's flow curve is not the same as the 40lb injectors hence I said it might have tip in stumble or be rich but it should get you back and forth to work. I have seen blue top chip in a car that was running msd 50's and it ran fairly well. All the blms were in the 128's but it did run decent, not optimum. I would definitely recommend the correct chip.

Chuck
That means at idle they flow MORE than a 42.5 should. If at idle 5mS flows whatever, .1lb of fuel, 009's will flow 1.7lb of fuel, hense the need to play with the constant and the PE trims to get them right. (Others do other things, thats all I do). As for a 36 chip with 50's and BLM's were 128, sorry, I dont believe you. Its not possible, unless the motor was in open loop and spewing black smoke. But then it wouldnt be running decent would it?

>>
As for a 36 chip with 50's and BLM's were 128, sorry, I dont believe you>>

Well it did and I am kind of surprised you haven't seen this. I guess it is good to experiment and not always take others advise as the gospel. Crash (moderater for parts) bought used injectors from the board that were suppose to be msd 50's and end up being MSD 36lbs. We first burn the chip for 50's and the blms were pegged at 150 which is what we set for the limit. After changing injector constant down to 35 lbs. His car ran ok but kick butt after we got it change to the correct setup.

For the 36lb chip running the Msd 50's that was BadBoyGn86 on the board, maybe he will be able verify it

Boost321 if you try the chip please let us know how it ran.

Thanks
Chuck