would 40# injectors be overkill on my ride?

quickbrick

i run a low 13 second quarter mile right now. im hoping for high 12s next summer. i run about 17 psi now. would 40# injectors be too much for my car. is there downsides of having too big of injectors. also i have 30# disc style injectors now but i believe i am pushing them close to the limits. will the 40# pintle injectors make it run more rough. my car will mostly be on the street but sometimes ill take it to the track. thanks for the help

Get a set of 50's and be done with it. 40's are fine for now but what if you decide to upgrade again? Jack Cotton once told me that you can never have enough injector. It's not like having a huge carb on a small block Chevy. Just go for the 50's and you won't have to worry about it again.

Jacob

It all depends on your goals.If you have decided on you final goals and the 40s will work then do it. The 50s are a great injector but do cost more than 40s.Something to look at if on a budget.

In my opinion any injector can be made to idle good with the correct chip. Some makers have more experience with a certain injector than others.

Good luck

I agree with Jacob but, I went 11.57 with 40# injectors so they will get it done, cheaper. Since then I have bought 2 sets of injectors so getting the 50s now will take care of.......12s this year, 11s next year, 10s the next year.............:D AND YOU KNOW IT"S GONNA HAPPEN!

Spend once. Bare minimum 009's... preferably the 50's.

The 40's are cheap (sold mine for $75) and will get you down the track a little faster than the 30's you have now. But... you'll definately replace them (and the chip you get for them) the next time you want to go a little faster. Spend once, it'll be a lot easier in the long run.

P.S. If you DO go with 40's, an 8 position MaxEffort thumbwheel works great (that's what I ran). However, that'll cost more money and it'll really offset the price benefits of using the 40's in the first place.

Good luck.
-Banning.

id be happy to run in the 12 range. i dont usually go to the track alot. i just like driving my car on the street mostly. im on a tight budget due to school right now:mad: . if i ever do try to make my car real fast it will probably be many years down the road. would these injectors be good for me? are there any chips for a decent price that work well with these injectors?

Stock injectors will get you where you want to go - so would have the stock turbo.

Now that you have a miss match combo - I'd put minimum of Blue Tops in it (36lb).

Originally posted by Nocooler
Stock injectors will get you where you want to go - so would have the stock turbo.

Now that you have a miss match combo - I'd put minimum of Blue Tops in it (36lb).

now that wouldnt be any fun:D

would the blue tops be better than the red stripes?

Nocooler is right. Running high 12's on stock injectors & turbo isn't hard to do. Since you are running the TA49 though, you might as well move up.

36's vs. 40's?...
Buying NEW? I wouldn't even think of those two. Like I said above... at least the 009's.

Buying USED? The 40# injectors will be a lot cheaper (about $75/set vs. $175+ for the 36's), but chips for the 40's will cost more. I'm pretty sure you can NOT get a Thrasher chip for the 40's... only the 36's.

Buy a new set of 009's or 50's.

Good luck,
-Banning.

i didnt know the stock injectors could go into the twelves. i was told the stockers were pushin there limits in the 13's.

thanks for the advice everyone. ill probably think about it more before i decide which injectors(i got all winter anyways)

Jim Testa burned me a chip for my 40's for 50.00 bucks. Runs fine no complaints here. Run a te51,Caspers v4,new engine with a 204/214 Schneider billet roller,ESP race heads and Smc alhky kit.Have no problems at all using 40's.Mainly street drivin. Never been to a track,don't need to with miles and miles of country roads.
good luck.

Give me till about the end of the summer and I'll sale you my 50 when I go to a bigger turbo and need more injector.

Jason

Originally posted by quickbrick
i run a low 13 second quarter mile right now. im hoping for high 12s next summer. i run about 17 psi now. would 40# injectors be too much for my car. is there downsides of having too big of injectors. also i have 30# disc style injectors now but i believe i am pushing them close to the limits. will the 40# pintle injectors make it run more rough. my car will mostly be on the street but sometimes ill take it to the track. thanks for the help

If your idea of tuning is twisting the F/P around then it really doesn't matter. You'll be playing with fire, just relying on a static injector, to get you by.

But, going with a large injector means getting a chip at least close to play with. You often lose the option of just getting by with tuning with F/P, with the bigger injectors.

If you long term plans include going quick, then there is no reason not to start now, with making your setup tuneable, ie Translator, or a ME.

You might even consider getting into doin your own proms with the stock setup, so that you can start learning what does what, and then when you get the big injectors, be able to fully use them.

YMMV,

ive had my car about a year. ive had the thrasher chip in my car since right after i bought it. ive always left the f/p at 45 line off. and boost around 17 and have had no knock or other problems. so i havnt done a whole lot of tuning on it. i wanted to go a little faster this summer so i figured id need bigger injectors soon. from what i have heard from some buick people is that the 30# injectors were pushing there limits at 17psi of boost. so i wanted to be safe and get something bigger. iknow there will be alot more tuning with this combo.