WOT lockup

NC87GN

johnny boost
Can anyone explain how to put WOT lockup in a chip. Did a compare on a chip I have, with WOT lock-up, in a Hex Editor with no success. Any help is greatly appreciated..

mbanas@triad.rr.com

Its in the TCC lockup tables. Starting at $3391 for 3rd gear, and 33A5 for 4th gear. Decide what mph you want it to lock at and set that one and all higher mph's at FF. For example, if you want it to lock at 84mph, set 339D thru 33A2 to FF (for 3rd gear). Do the same for the 4th gear.

Eric

Originally posted by Eric Stage I
Its in the TCC lockup tables. Starting at $3391 for 3rd gear, and 33A5 for 4th gear. Decide what mph you want it to lock at and set that one and all higher mph's at FF. For example, if you want it to lock at 84mph, set 339D thru 33A2 to FF (for 3rd gear). Do the same for the 4th gear.

Eric

But it will unlock at 124 MPH.
It's hardcoded in the ecm.

Eric,
Are these the tables you are referring to?
3rd gear TCC lockup
3rd gear TCC unlock
4th gear TCC lockup
4th gear TCC unlock

Values, in chart format, are mph vs. %load

I'm guessing this means at a certain MPH under a given LV8 the convertor will lockup. I'm looking at a stock EPROM, and the LV8's at 70 mph is very low 40-50. If I know my LV8 at WOT (say 255) at 70mph this make my convertor lock.?.? I'm using T6Tuner and its one of the pick tables that can be modified. TIA

Mike Banas
87GN

Its in the TCC lockup tables. Starting at $3391 for 3rd gear

$3391 for lockup in 3rd gear?!? I'll sell you a paperclip for $2445 if your interested! (kidding!) I needed that info too for my "new-brew" strip chip, thanks!

Yes, the tables you want to adjust are the lockup tables (not the unlock). In T6Tuner, it shows a percentage of load. For example, lets say it shows 20% for 70mph. That means that the load has to drop below 20% for it to lock at 70mph. So if you change it to 99.6% (which will be FF in the chip) it will always lock since you will always be at or less than full load.

The unlock table % is the amount you must exceed to get it to unlock. One thing that always annoyed me in the factory chip was how far down you have to push the pedal to get the tcc to unlock. So I set the unlock percentages about 5% higher than the lock percentages so it unlocks sooner and the car "feels" more responsive. Disclaimer: I don't know how that might affect clutch life or mpg. (Although it can't be any worse than locking under full load.)

Eric

I know this is an old thread, but I wanted to correct something I stated above.

The TCC lockup in the tables mentioned above are based on TPS% and not Load. I know that T6 shows it as "TCC Load Limit vs. MPH" but its not based on load, it's based on TPS.

Also, the 124mph limit, nah...I don't see it.

Regards,
Eric

Also, the 124mph limit, nah...I don't see it.

It's hardcoded.
You have to edit the ROM on the actual circuit board in the ecm.
Thou you can patch around it.
If you build an ecm bench you can see it.

Bruce,
I understand the TCC code is on one of the mask roms. Are you talking about the TCC code from $FA30 to $FAE8 that references 124mph? (Specifically, at $FA80-$FA84).

Bruce,
I understand the TCC code is on one of the mask roms. Are you talking about the TCC code from $FA30 to $FAE8 that references 124mph? (Specifically, at $FA80-$FA84).

You have the location right, I slipped a cog, was another mask I was thinking about. FA81 sets the limit at 7C (H), 124 (d).

Mask Roms?.
31T defines the Mask as being the 31T. ROM is just Read Onyl Memory and you have the PROM, and then the ROM inside the ecm. the PROM is only about 1/3 of the total code.

Ok, so you were thinking of a different computer. No wonder I couldn't find it! That makes me feel better. :)

Sorry, I was using the term "mask" for the type of rom chip (a rom where data is manufactured into the chip as opposed to programmed, for those who don't know). I was differentiating it from the prom. On the'148, there are 2 rom chips (mask roms with some built in I/O) 4k each, and then the 4k removable prom.

Thanks,
Eric

Got my box in the mail today Eric.

Didn't open it yet but I want to say THANKS anyway. :)

Very generous of you.

Okay, brownnoser II. :D