Worth it? Dutt neck with ta-49

Eric Stauch

Nasty87
So I'm doing some upgrades and was thinking while in there I might go with a Dutt neck but the outlet on the turbo compressor housing is pretty small itself, so is it worth it? has anyone done it with a ta-49 and noticed a difference? Thanks, Eric

Do it. Regardless of the turbo outlet size, the Dutt neck will allow a couple more ponds of boost with no other changes.

So I'm doing some upgrades and was thinking while in there I might go with a Dutt neck but the outlet on the turbo compressor housing is pretty small itself, so is it worth it? has anyone done it with a ta-49 and noticed a difference? Thanks, Eric

I have a Dutt-neck on my TA-49 powered car. I noticed quicker spooling & also gained about 2lbs when I put it on. Anytime you can free up incoming or outgoing air resistance is a win/win.

I'm selling my Dutt-neck I/C if you're interested. Excellent condition, nice looking Buick Motorsports etched plate on the top. Comes with reducer hose & shroud. Let me know if you're interested & I can send you some pics.

Get alky instead

All TRs respond differently to mods.

Ken made over 100 runs & only internal mods were heads & 206 cam. He went 11.4. The Dutt neck made no difference whatsoever.

Your TR might be different, however, there is no way to predict what the Dutt neck will do in any TR without trying it.

Save up for the alky, gains from the neck is NOTHING in camparo. Seriously

Hey I'm all for that but its rough being 23 just got married and bought a house. :cool: I know I need alky its my next purchase but I've got a spare $70 now so I'm gonna do the neck, like everyone else says... it needs it regardless

take that spare 70 bucks and get yourself a nozzle, some hose, a windshield washer jug with in tank pump and some -20 washer fluid and a hobbs switch. While you're saving for a real alky kit you can have some fun with that. Then when you buy the alky kit you can save for a PTE IC and be done with it.

I have no plans to ever install alky on my car..I am very happy with the Dutt neck,test pipe and Hooker exhaust on my car.
Stock it ran 13.99 best to a worst of 14.24...should do a little bit better since the mods and the TT chip.

I've had both a TA49, Dutt neck SLIC, and alky on my car since 2001. I got the Dutt neck IC first and as mentioned, picked up an instant additional 2 lbs of boost over what I had. I also found that a restalled 2800 D5 converter helped the spool up quicker with the TA49 than with the stock TC. I started with a Pro-Torque converter but later changed to a Pat's 12" lock up 2800 stall unit that I really like. Got Alky about 2 months later after the dutt neck IC (old style SMC round bottle non-prog kit). Alky by far, is the best band for the buck for these cars. Those that don't experience it, do not know what they are missing out on! I upgraded about a year ago to Razor's PAC Alky kit. I made my only pass last Nov on street tires, feathering off the line and ran a 12.67 @ 108. Alky keeps our cars competitive with the new performance offerings.

YUP. Big difference going from 16lbs to 22lbs. 22lbs of boost with alky (plus its cooling effect), manual boost controller, and added timing makes for a fun street car. How could someone not want that?

2 tenths for me without any other changes. Make sure that the I/C neck has a smooth taper on it so it does not interfere with the air flow from the turbo.
Bob