World of Motorworks GNX dash ??

Not that far along yet

That's good that he got back to you and is rectifying the fuel gauge issue. As far as the bezel, shifting the bezel off-center to line up with the gauges will throw-off the "bump" over the steering column, pretty bad in my case at least.

Once I get the gages RIGHT--one step @ a time--I will address the last hurdle.

shifting bezel

Here's an idea....maybe way out there and not do able, but I think it may work.

If your speedo / tach openings are in proper alignment, leaving the (4) smaller gauge opening about 1/4" too far left....then would it be possible to cut the RH side of bezel off using a thin blade, (just to the immediate right of tach opening).....then remove / cut off 1/4" on the far RH end of bezel. Now take it to a fabrication shop that does ABS thermoplastic welding...(any place fabricating with plastic pipe and fitting should be able to do this, or even a place that repairs motorcyle fairings / instrument panels, etc)....have them weld in a 1/4" wide ABS strip )same thickness as the bezel, beside the tachometer opening and weld it together. Sounds like this could work. It won't affect the bump in the steering column either as it is clear of this.

Can you picture this and does it make sense?

Only problem I can see, is that now the applique may not line up with the new bezel opening orientations.

Any comments?

Just my 2cents.

that would be the problem

Here's an idea....maybe way out there and not do able, but I think it may work.

If your speedo / tach openings are in proper alignment, leaving the (4) smaller gauge opening about 1/4" too far left....then would it be possible to cut the RH side of bezel off using a thin blade, (just to the immediate right of tach opening).....then remove / cut off 1/4" on the far RH end of bezel. Now take it to a fabrication shop that does ABS thermoplastic welding...(any place fabricating with plastic pipe and fitting should be able to do this, or even a place that repairs motorcyle fairings / instrument panels, etc)....have them weld in a 1/4" wide ABS strip )same thickness as the bezel, beside the tachometer opening and weld it together. Sounds like this could work. It won't affect the bump in the steering column either as it is clear of this.

Can you picture this and does it make sense?

Only problem I can see, is that now the applique may not line up with the new bezel opening orientations.

Any comments?

Just my 2cents.

The applique would also need the same treatment--not as simple to do that. I guess you could move all 4 small holes to the left the required amount. Now you have 4 oblong holes and the retaining brackets on the rear may not have enough meat to grab. Maybe the applique would cover it. I will look into it later this week. Keep in mind I don't spend 8 hours per day on this.

Mark was going to sell one of those set ups on his site must not have worked becuse there not on it now.

Anyone have experiance with classic dash? They make a dash for g-bodies but it doesn't mention regal or grand national. Just wondering if it will fit if you get one for a malibu/monte/el camino.

Heres a link with the info:
Classic Dash :: Chevrolet :: Chevelle / El Camino / Malibu / Monte Carlo :: 1978-1987 :: Drilled Panels

I called them and they said they can't garuntee if it will work or not work. They said people with regals have bought them and some have said they got it to work but they can't say how much modification it will need or if it will work at all sinse they didn't test it.

I'm thinking of getting one for my car but don't want to waste money if they don't work..

.... Keep in mind I don't spend 8 hours per day on this....

X2!
Plus $1600 for a gauge cluster that is advertised as plug and play, should be just that, but I am stuck with it now and will have to make it work
Let me know if you come up with anything or get an answer from Paul about this and I will do the same

Dude, u aren't stuck with it..Box that thing up and send it back. Dispute the charge...You have the upper hand if you used a CC. It's up to the manufacturer to make it right.

Mark was going to sell one of those set ups on his site must not have worked becuse there not on it now.

I saw them on a buick parts site but can't remember which one it was and searched for days on end. :p That makes sense that they were taken off of the site and why I couldn't find them..

update

Paul got in touch with me yesterday and is ending the correct fuel gage, Once I get it I will turn my attention to the bezel. It appears the only thing that I can do is shift it off center of the speedo-tach and line it up over the other 4 gages. IMO this will look the best.

2 weeks today and still NO fuel gage, cable or call. No answer the 1 time I tried to call. You guys can do as you please but I would never have any dealings with this place. I have ordered the correct gage from another source--another $60-$70 and I have no idea how long of a wait as it is not a stock item--has to be ordered and made.

Concerning World of Motorworks -

I do know for a fact, the owner is having a major Health issue. A few years ago he lost his sight in one eye completely and last week he has suffered some issues in his remaining good eye to the point he can hardly see at all.

I am not making excuses for his product or business, but merely stating the current situation. As you can imagine this has to be quite stressful.

This is the same source that has marketed the new grilles and headlite bezels that some of you probably have purchased from various sources. The quality on them is excellent.

I do not live near him to know who else you can contact concerning any issues you have related to his products as I am sure that whoever is handling his emails/calls is probably overwhelmed at this time.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

As I learn anything new I will try and post here an update.

I have stayed away from this particular thread for a while because of the bad taste in my mouth over this whole dash project. I certainly understand the health issues Paul was experiencing... I can't imaging possible loss of sight. We had numerous "discussions" via email (next time whenever I have issues it will be phone calls) but the customer service was flat out horrible. Delay after delay, story after story, excuse after excuse. He then told me he is a "one man band" as far as his business, didn't trust anyone so it was basically him running this business alone with no help.
But here is the clincher...
During this entire period of "excuses" he was continuing to sell products on ebay, and even some of the same parts I had problems with. So if you are not able to help me due to health, how can you continue to sell during this entire period of time? When I continued to press for an answer (with no nswers, only excuses again), I asked if I had to contact the Better Business Bureau to get an answer? He even went so far as to say "It was people like me who make him want to get out of the Buick business" I was simply trying to get responses. I have the entire email threads and if viewed, you would see my patience... and his excuses.
The point is this does not exactly bolster your credibility when you are too ill to even answer me but apparently still well enough to sell, and provide feedback to customers on ebay this whole period of time. I understand he does make some nice parts, but the overall quality of this dash was not good.
The amount of time and labor to try to make things line up properly has been beyond belief... I would not do this again, I would make a simple panel and go from there.
Bottom line is I would purchase other parts reproduced by him, but not from him directly again.

I have stayed away from this particular thread for a while because of the bad taste in my mouth over this whole dash project. I certainly understand the health issues Paul was experiencing... I can't imaging possible loss of sight. We had numerous "discussions" via email (next time whenever I have issues it will be phone calls) but the customer service was flat out horrible. Delay after delay, story after story, excuse after excuse. He then told me he is a "one man band" as far as his business, didn't trust anyone so it was basically him running this business alone with no help.
But here is the clincher...
During this entire period of "excuses" he was continuing to sell products on ebay, and even some of the same parts I had problems with. So if you are not able to help me due to health, how can you continue to sell during this entire period of time? When I continued to press for an answer (with no nswers, only excuses again), I asked if I had to contact the Better Business Bureau to get an answer? He even went so far as to say "It was people like me who make him want to get out of the Buick business" I was simply trying to get responses. I have the entire email threads and if viewed, you would see my patience... and his excuses.
The point is this does not exactly bolster your credibility when you are too ill to even answer me but apparently still well enough to sell, and provide feedback to customers on ebay this whole period of time. I understand he does make some nice parts, but the overall quality of this dash was not good.
The amount of time and labor to try to make things line up properly has been beyond belief... I would not do this again, I would make a simple panel and go from there.
Bottom line is I would purchase other parts reproduced by him, but not from him directly again.

John,
I take it you haven't resolved the issues since your last email to me back in JUNE :eek: :eek:

When I installed one of these dashes back in Jan/Feb 09' I think DJ Red Barron and I were the only ones at the time that had one. At first I thought maybe my car was a little off but since then I recieved numerous emails from people asking about fitment issues and what I had to do to get things lined up (which ended up being quite a bit) I think the problem with the setup is the molded bezel is the culprit in the alignment issue and is probably a manufacturing defect. I would hope that Paul would look into this and straighten it out by now.

I cant speak for the actual SW gauges ( as I used VDO ) but after seeing what problems they had with them I'm glad I didn't use them.

I will say I have purchased other items from Paul and haven't had any issues, but for the price this dash should bolt right in.

Matt

Again not to dwell on the issues concerning Paul but his mother, is currently being his "eyes" which may explain how his ebay sales continue on a cycle basis.

She has helped him in the past and we have dealt with her also.

I have no experience with his dashes at all. I can certainily understand your frustration on an expensive project like that.

Again not making excuses for him.....but if he loses his eye sight at his age its something that no one wants to be faced with.

denniskirban@yahoo.com

I know in our business almost everything goes out with directions even the 6 plug wires.

WOMW Dash

To the ones who are fustrated with this dash, here are some pics to help keep you motivated. The end result is worth it :cool:
3p73oe3l35Y65U55S5a8db5a6b3ab09611a99.jpg

3n23m33p25V65T65Q4a8d6df68a88ac551d7d.jpg

3nb3mb3pa5Z35W25X2a8d1beca6b5963c1671.jpg

Hopefully others appreciate the colorful electrical detail tape! Good thing it can't be seen

???

Did you get the GNX speedo cable with your gage package? If so what is different between it and a stock one? I'm having trouble keeping the speedo working correctly. How did you secure the cable housing in the back of speedo, or did you just push it in untill it stopped? Are your gages accurate? Have you heard from Paul in the last 3 weeks--I have not? Do all your gage lites work? I'm worse than a 6 year old !!! Thanks--Lee
BTW, if a person switched the tach and speedo there would be no need to drill a hole in the AC duct. Did you sleeve the hole or leave it open to blow air out behind dash? I sleeved this one and sealed around the plastic sleeve. No mention of this in the limited instructions.

Did you get the GNX speedo cable with your gage package? If so what is different between it and a stock one? I'm having trouble keeping the speedo working correctly. How did you secure the cable housing in the back of speedo, or did you just push it in untill it stopped? Are your gages accurate? Have you heard from Paul in the last 3 weeks--I have not? Do all your gage lites work? I'm worse than a 6 year old !!! Thanks--Lee
BTW, if a person switched the tach and speedo there would be no need to drill a hole in the AC duct. Did you sleeve the hole or leave it open to blow air out behind dash? I sleeved this one and sealed around the plastic sleeve. No mention of this in the limited instructions.

PM sent

GNX WOMW Dash finally done!

Well, it only took me 13 months....but I finally got around to massaging the bezel and applique and finished my installation today, (I actually drove around for a year with just the dash and gauges installed).

Although these dashes may need a little "tweaking" during the installation, when they're done.....it's one of the nicest dashes available (in my opinion). Not a project to be taken on by the faint of heart....however very do-able for those with stick-to-it-ivness. Definitely lots of preparation and work involved, (not a quick project),so be prepared to put in some time and thought.

Would like to thank Paul Castle and all the turbo buick members (you know who you are),who helped me along with this project. Your helpful knowledge and suggestions provided me the confidence and motivation to persever and get this done.

Hope your recent surgery went well Paul......the turbo buick community wishes you a full and speedy recovery!

Here's a pic of the finished product. :biggrin:

Thanks again to all,

dave

Attachments

• GNX VDO Dash 004.jpg
    GNX VDO Dash 004.jpg
    48.3 KB · Views: 490
Dand and Davpar, what specifically did you do to massage the bezel and the applique? I will be doing this install soon

update

2 weeks today and still NO fuel gage, cable or call. No answer the 1 time I tried to call. You guys can do as you please but I would never have any dealings with this place. I have ordered the correct gage from another source--another $60-$70 and I have no idea how long of a wait as it is not a stock item--has to be ordered and made.

Got the fuel gage from Summit--got it installed--now all the gages are right except can't read the speedo @ night. I have some stronger bulbs on order. STILL waiting on the GNX speedo cable !!!!!! Over 2 months doing a 1 week job and still not finished.