World of Motorworks GNX dash ??

watch what your calling a pos dash lee maybe the guy installing it is a pos get a brain dash is not that hard to install.

A return call

I heard from John @ Caspers that he was having health issues. I understand that. I have a low tolerance for people who can't handle business. If he has time to run my credit card, he has time to give me a call. That's all I ask. Too late now, as after many hours searching I may be close to finishing. I got a return e-mail from SW tech telling me how to set the dip switches. IMO they should have been set up for a 6 cyl. from the vendor. I shouldn't have to spend hours looking then days waiting on info. that should have been provided. Thanks to all who replied.

That's all that was needed.

these dash's with your choice of panel is actually very easy to do. depending on your choice of gauges, can be done for 200-600 if you don't go too crazy on the gauges. no need to buy anykind of gnx harness unless you want to only replicate the GNX dash....all the info needed to make what you see below can be found on turbobuick.com.

Attachments

• Picture 813.jpg
    Picture 813.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 1,496
yep I posted a list of parts needed with numbers and cost from caspers sevral times on here on how to make your own. Next weekend i will be making a new 7 guage plug and play set up I will take picks and make a detailed how to this time for every one. Only thing is I used speed hut guages this time and they do not need a tach convertor like the VDO or autometer so I will tell every one how to use it just may not have pics. And yes you can do it for around 600 but if you get crazy with gauges it can coast 2k easly. I spent $900 on just the guages but thats 9 gauges all electric so the boost and fuel presure gauge was a little $$ .

Any of you guys that know me know my eye issues I was down at university Chicago for my eye.I get a voice message from Lee Thompson which was quite rude I can understand his frustration but know all the facts before you bash someone.I tell all my customers call me and I am sure many can vouch for me I am a helpful as I possibly can be.as for all of lee's issues he very simply could have left me a detailed message not a message like he left me. As for anyones info had this typed for me cause my vision is still not back fully.

Pardon me, but I know Lee. I have been to his house and bought things from the man and would refer ANYONE to him. I have talked to him many times on the phone as well. With that said, I have never heard Lee say anything rude or out of line. This man is a great engine builder and knows these cars VERY well. If he is having a problem with your kit he should be able to call and get an answer. It's as simple as that. He said he called and called and called. Sounds like you got the same message anyone in that situation would have given you sir......

Pardon me, but I know Lee. I have been to his house and bought things from the man and would refer ANYONE to him. I have talked to him many times on the phone as well. With that said, I have never heard Lee say anything rude or out of line. This man is a great engine builder and knows these cars VERY well. If he is having a problem with your kit he should be able to call and get an answer. It's as simple as that. He said he called and called and called. Sounds like you got the same message anyone in that situation would have given you sir......

+1....I'd had just disputed whatever charges on the card, Leo. Bet you'd have gotten a call back then.

up date

Another $ 75 for a speed reducer to make the speedo accurate. This per SW tech help. Drive a measure 10 mile see what the speedo registers. I did that. Now I'm waiting on the reducer. My customer is going to love his bill if I ever get it done. Going on 3 weeks now.

these dash's with your choice of panel is actually very easy to do. depending on your choice of gauges, can be done for 200-600 if you don't go too crazy on the gauges. no need to buy anykind of gnx harness unless you want to only replicate the GNX dash....all the info needed to make what you see below can be found on turbobuick.com.
Beautiful setup.

and as if I haven't had enough trouble with this unit.

I find that the fuel gage is the wrong one--reads 5/8 full when tank is FULL. As fuel is comsumed gage goes to FULL. Fill up and gage goes back to 5/8.

OUR install last year........ with shop class students!!!!

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/289509-new-gnx-dash-installed.html

no big problem to install......

Speedo.... off 5mph(high) , but this saves us on tickets :cool:
Fuel gauge.... dead-on
Temperature gauge.... off 10 degrees--- (to check the SW gauge--we made a "shop-made 'T' " and installed BOTH ecm and SW senders at the same stock location, Both SW and ECM(scanmaster were within 3 degrees of each other) read OK for our use.
Tach.....OK---within 10% of scanmaster
OIL pressure--dead-on to what "old" VDO gauge read.
Our gauge panel---gauges-- were all "correctly installed" before we received the cluster.... no adjustment(moving-"tweaking" the gauges).

Don't know the differences in our cluster from anybody elses cluster, BUT we had no MAJOR problems. MAYBE we were just LUCKLY.... don't know???
But, I would buy one again.

my .o2.............

O' by the way, we paid alot more than $700 buck for our cluster off of E-Bay.

I can also say this about Lee. He only does things one way... the right way. I have been fortunate enough to have him help me out with a few things. If he says it I believe it.

Glad your went well

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/general-turbo-buick-tech/289509-new-gnx-dash-installed.html

no big problem to install......

Speedo.... off 5mph(high) , but this saves us on tickets :cool:
Fuel gauge.... dead-on
Temperature gauge.... off 10 degrees--- (to check the SW gauge--we made a "shop-made 'T' " and installed BOTH ecm and SW senders at the same stock location, Both SW and ECM(scanmaster were within 3 degrees of each other) read OK for our use.
Tach.....OK---within 10% of scanmaster
OIL pressure--dead-on to what "old" VDO gauge read.
Our gauge panel---gauges-- were all "correctly installed" before we received the cluster.... no adjustment(moving-"tweaking" the gauges).

Don't know the differences in our cluster from anybody elses cluster, BUT we had no MAJOR problems. MAYBE we were just LUCKLY.... don't know???
But, I would buy one again.

my .o2.............

O' by the way, we paid alot more than $700 buck for our cluster off of E-Bay.

Sounds as tho you had some assistance. Lack of it is my problem.
BTW, after some research, I now have a 30 PSI SW gage. According to his employe they are only offering a VDO. That would look good!!!! Once I'm done the gages will be accurate and should have been when purchased. Tach is dead on as I now have the necessary papers that tells which switches need to be on and off. If you want I can forward them to you. I will never tell how I calibrated the temp. gage, but it is dead on. Once I get the trans tranducer it should be accurate. Oil pressure and 30 psi boost gage is right. I now have the part # for the correct fuel level gage. Will have to see how the owner want to handle that. Once Paul got wind of this thread he called (the 20th), cursed me with all names available, threatened me and said derogatory thing about my wife. Not very mature, IMO. Since you have experience maybe you could answer some ?s for me. Did you get a NEW GNX speedo cable? I did not and am now wondering what it is needed for. Did you get ANY instructions except the template? The fact that the cover bezel (which in the end covers the gages) does not line up with the gages (this one is 1/4 in. short), what did you do about that? It appears that the only thing that can be done is to set it off center of the speedo and tach so in line up with the other 4 gages. If I line it up with the speedo there is a gapping hole showing around the other 4 smaller gages. I'm not a complete idiot, I can sometimes get lucky and spin a wrench, but this has been the most OVERPRICED disappointment I have ever encountered. I've been fooling with these cars since the early 90s and I understand that sometimes I will need to grind -heat-beat or whatever to make something fit.
Maybe I shouldn't have called his project a POS but I did and I stand by what I said. Nothing I have stated is untrue or exaggerated.

Bottom line is, if you had trouble with it, any other person on this board would of had the same issues. You've gone farther than I would of with it...Sadly, a quick phone call earlier on would of kept all this from being drug out.

Me 2.... been there---got the T-shirt !!!!!

Sounds as tho you had some assistance. Lack of it is my problem.
BTW, after some research, I now have a 30 PSI SW gage. According to his employe they are only offering a VDO. That would look good!!!! Once I'm done the gages will be accurate and should have been when purchased. Tach is dead on as I now have the necessary papers that tells which switches need to be on and off. If you want I can forward them to you. I will never tell how I calibrated the temp. gage, but it is dead on. Once I get the trans tranducer it should be accurate. Oil pressure and 30 psi boost gage is right. I now have the part # for the correct fuel level gage. Will have to see how the owner want to handle that. Once Paul got wind of this thread he called (the 20th), cursed me with all names available, threatened me and said derogatory thing about my wife. Not very mature, IMO. Since you have experience maybe you could answer some ?s for me. Did you get a NEW GNX speedo cable? I did not and am now wondering what it is needed for. Did you get ANY instructions except the template? The fact that the cover bezel (which in the end covers the gages) does not line up with the gages (this one is 1/4 in. short), what did you do about that? It appears that the only thing that can be done is to set it off center of the speedo and tach so in line up with the other 4 gages. If I line it up with the speedo there is a gapping hole showing around the other 4 smaller gages. I'm not a complete idiot, I can sometimes get lucky and spin a wrench, but this has been the most OVERPRICED disappointment I have ever encountered. I've been fooling with these cars since the early 90s and I understand that sometimes I will need to grind -heat-beat or whatever to make something fit.
Maybe I shouldn't have called his project a POS but I did and I stand by what I said. Nothing I have stated is untrue or exaggerated.

THANKS for fowarding the SW TACH paper about the switch(dips) that need to be on/off . :cool:
1. Nope,we did not get ANY instructions except the template. My students and I researched the orginal "GNX" dash (many e-mails to "X-Ray"----THANKS again for the HELP!!!) before we started the install.
2. Yep, need the 90 ohms fuel gauge NOT the 240 ohms.
3. We got the short(about 18"-24") SW cable that replaces the stock upper cable that slip/lock to the speedo GM head unit.
4. "US 2" on the "trick" :wink: to get the sender/temperature gauge to read correctly(or up/down a few degrees). We have used the "Intro. to Electronic 101" theory to get other gauges to read as close-as possible to the actual temperature.
5. SW sells a 30psi boost gauge----but it has a black face not the green/orange/black face like the 15psi boost gauge. We are hoping in the future to "figure-out" a better screen print to the 30psi gauge-- so it will look like the orginal boost gauge.
6. The cover bezel ---if the bezel is off, flat sand the entire back side of the bezel (about 1/8 to 1/4"). We have a door panel sander(belt is about 30" wide)that will alow the entire suface to be sanded flat. The reason to do this is to allow the movement of the bezel--- the openings will be "slightly" larger than before, allowing for/if the the gauges are "slightly off".

I have learned/ been taught many things while teaching :eek: (20 plus years :rolleyes: )......
Expect the UNexpected,
Perfect/Perfection is in the eye of the beholder,
"Tweaking" means--completely reengineering,
AND the BEST.... "No problems on the install"(in-other-words means... "WHAT HAVE I GOT MYSELF INTO!!!). :D

When Lee first told me that he was installing a GNX dash, I was very interested in seeing what was involved in the process, as I have been considering this myself for a while now. I can attest to the issues that Lee is having with the gauge setup. It's sad that this item is advertised as plug-n-play and that there are such problems with the unit. Layed out on the workbench everything looked great, but when we started placing item A on top of item B, that's where the problems began. The alignment of the gauges with the faceplate was enough to turn me off from the possibilty of purchasing one for my car.

Good luck with the rest of the install Lee, give me a call if I can help.

Sounds as tho you had some assistance. Lack of it is my problem...The fact that the cover bezel (which in the end covers the gages) does not line up with the gages (this one is 1/4 in. short), what did you do about that? It appears that the only thing that can be done is to set it off center of the speedo and tach so in line up with the other 4 gages. If I line it up with the speedo there is a gapping hole showing around the other 4 smaller gages. I'm not a complete idiot, I can sometimes get lucky and spin a wrench, but this has been the most OVERPRICED disappointment I have ever encountered...

I am having the same problem with the bezel lining up with the gauges as well... How did you overcome that problem, if you ever did. I am waiting for a response from Paul (I was told he got injured in his warehouse this past week). If I don't get a response from him I am going to assume I am on my own and will have to modify or re-create the gauge mounting panel to match the bezel and applique holes. Did you color the signal indicators, high beam, and idiot lights on the applique to match what is shown on his stock photo? (was dissapointed when I got it and the lights openings were clear)
I am alittle fustrated with this kit, but once it is done (whenever that will be) it will be a great addition to the car

answer

I am having the same problem with the bezel lining up with the gauges as well... How did you overcome that problem, if you ever did. I am waiting for a response from Paul (I was told he got injured in his warehouse this past week). If I don't get a response from him I am going to assume I am on my own and will have to modify or re-create the gauge mounting panel to match the bezel and applique holes. Did you color the signal indicators, high beam, and idiot lights on the applique to match what is shown on his stock photo? (was dissapointed when I got it and the lights openings were clear)
I am alittle fustrated with this kit, but once it is done (whenever that will be) it will be a great addition to the car

Paul got in touch with me yesterday and is ending the correct fuel gage, Once I get it I will turn my attention to the bezel. It appears the only thing that I can do is shift it off center of the speedo-tach and line it up over the other 4 gages. IMO this will look the best.

Paul got in touch with me yesterday and is ending the correct fuel gage, Once I get it I will turn my attention to the bezel. It appears the only thing that I can do is shift it off center of the speedo-tach and line it up over the other 4 gages. IMO this will look the best.

That's good that he got back to you and is rectifying the fuel gauge issue. As far as the bezel, shifting the bezel off-center to line up with the gauges will throw-off the "bump" over the steering column, pretty bad in my case at least.

Anyone have experiance with classic dash? They make a dash for g-bodies but it doesn't mention regal or grand national. Just wondering if it will fit if you get one for a malibu/monte/el camino.

Heres a link with the info:
Classic Dash :: Chevrolet :: Chevelle / El Camino / Malibu / Monte Carlo :: 1978-1987 :: Drilled Panels

I called them and they said they can't garuntee if it will work or not work. They said people with regals have bought them and some have said they got it to work but they can't say how much modification it will need or if it will work at all sinse they didn't test it.

I'm thinking of getting one for my car but don't want to waste money if they don't work..