Won't upshift!

J!nchu

My 87 GN was running great up until a few days ago. Now when I drive, the car seems to take forever to Upshift. Driving at normal speeds I can hit redline while trying to speed up before I get it to shift into 2nd. If I let off of the pedal and let the car slow a bit I can sometimes get it to shift a bit earlier. The only thing that has changed recently was running the car with open headers, but it was running fine for a while before this happened.

I have no idea if this would contribute to this, but I have had my MAF sensor go bad a number of times. It is a reoccuring problem with the car so possibly it has gone bad again? Another thing I noticed: On my scanmaster, since I got the car about 4 years ago I have always had a code 44 or 45 (It has been to multiple mechanics that claim to have a great deal of knowledge with this car and after tuning it I still have always had either a 44 or 45 for lean or rich exhaust). I don't know if this occured at the same time, but since my shifting problems, I have not had a code. With the 44 or 45 I run great, but without the code I am having these problems. ANY help or ideas would be great. I'm starting to go crazy since every time I fix one problem another seems to arise a few weeks later...:confused:

Sorry for the quick post, with some searching I found out that this is a huge problem for a lot of people. I have come to the conclusion that I am going to check the Gov Spring. I am not to knowledgeable on this subject so if anyone has any form of advice or better yet a guide on checking/changing this spring that would be extremely helpful. Or if this is something I should not even attempt on my own let me know.

Any thoughts on the codes I mentioned above are still welcome.

First of all, I want to say thanks for the help and especially the articles. They really help to show the significance of having everything set properly. I am going to try all of this tomorrow morning. One question for you though.... You recomended checking to make sure that the Throttle Valve was not stuck. You said to disconnect the cable end... Are you saying to disconnect the TV cable tear drop connector from the carburetor linkage so the cable can freely be pulled and released or are you speaking of a different cable?

You said to disconnect the cable end... Are you saying to disconnect the TV cable tear drop connector from the carburetor linkage so the cable can freely be pulled and released or are you speaking of a different cable?

Yes, do it with the engine running & if it's stuck with debris in it , may free it up, if that's the problem. I think it might be the gov spring but do the TV first as it's easy.
You have to pull the pan to get to the gov.

I think it is the governor spring as well. I havn't tried running the car yet after pulling the TV cable out and letting it fall back with the engine running, but I will soon. As for adjusting the TV cable... the adjustor tab is impossible to push. I have tried using other things to push it, but it still barly moves and i think the only movement from it is not letting it adjust. I have literaly tried pushing this thing so hard my hands hurt. Could is possibly be stuck in the adjust position??? I don't know what else to do because i literaly cannot get this thing to even budge.

Thanks for the help so far guys. I'm going to start working on all of this stuff as soon as I get the chance.

well, an update on mine at least. my 2nd gear band was gone. got a new stage 1 transmission from ckperformance and i'm back in business!