wont start

freakazoid

the saga continues.. this dam car wont start unless i spray some starting fluid. once it starts it will stay running with no problem. the scan master shows mal 21 and 24. i know 21 is TPS adjustment(low sensor) 24 is vehicle speed sensor. would this create such problem?

how do you adjust the TPS. the scan master shows 4.10 when i turn the switch on. (engine not running). when i spray staring fluid it will turn on. if i unplug the tps the engine stays running. I have spend close to 20,000 rebuilding the body and engine. Fricking thing still gives me problems. DAM MONEY PIT!!!! I am beginning to hate it!!!

4.10 with just key on .... you arent going to adjust that , check the ground to tps (runs to ecm pin D12) for open... if you have good ground at tps plug black wire and it still reads 4.10 the TPS needs to be replaced

and 24 should not set unless the car is in gear (not in park and running over 1400rpm without a vss signal being recieved), heres the breakdown on codes http://gnttype.org/maint/malf.html#24
, unless you drove the car your neutral start /backup lamp switch on the base of steering column (under dash on top of column by pedals ) must be out of adjustment . connect a scantool or with powerlogger (not a scanmaster ) and verify that the ecu sees that the car is in park , if not adjust the switch until it does

pacecarta, do you think it needs a better ground?. (the TPS was recently replaced) I am not toooo good with electrical issues in this car. need all the help I can get. Before i put this thing up forsale.

cant say better , if the ground is no good dont expect it to work
hook an ohmmeter to it and find out

If your TPS is at 4.10 when you are trying to start the car that is why it won't start. The computer thinks you have the throttle wide open during startup which puts it in "clear flood" mode. This shuts the injectors off thinking the motor is flooded. Like pacecarta said...check your grounds...the ones bolted to the back of the passenger side head....bad connection at the TPS sensor...or maybe the TPS is just bad...has an open on the ground side.

unless you drove the car your neutral start /backup lamp switch on the base of steering column (under dash on top of column by pedals ) must be out of adjustment . connect a scantool or with powerlogger (not a scanmaster ) and verify that the ecu sees that the car is in park , if not adjust the switch until it does

In additional to what Paul posted about the P/N switch, at this age the grease inside gets dry and caked. Last year had the issue where the P/N signal to the ECM was intermittent, along with the back up lights not working (both are on the same switch).

Removed the column switch, carefully opened it up. Cleaned out the old grease with some solvent, cleaned the contacts and wipers with some crocus cloth, new grease and re-installed. P/N to the ECM was good to go, but the back up lights still didn't work.

Pulled the tail lights to find that there wasn't any bulbs installed for the back ups. Figuring that they would work better with bulbs installed, did that and wadda-you-know? Good to go.

A note about the column switch, it is a pain to get it back into the column. Need lots of patience here. There is a small tab on the linkage that runs up the column. Then a small opening in the switch for the tab to enter. The tab is what operates the switch. Being that it is on the top side of the column it can't be seen.

Once installed need to adjust it. While it is out notice how the top piece can be moved along the length of the switch with clicks. That is how it is adjusted.

RemoveBeforeFlight