Won't start- not hearing the fuel pump

landbaron

While stipping the paint from my GN I unhooked the battery neg cable. Just hooked it back up to move the car & the car won't start & not hearing the fuel pump. Also no pressure at the gauge. I checked the fuse under the dash.

What do you suggest? Thx

First, is the fuel pump still plugged in under the rear bumper?

Its probably a bad connection at any one of a number of plugs along the way
and you can find it easily through a process of elimination.

Check the fuel pump relay, can you feel & hear it click when you first turn the key. If you don't feel & hear the relay click, unplug & check the connector, mine was melted with plastic sludge on the female terminals, hosed it out with alcohol & OK now. I ended up hotwiring in a high volume pump after I got things working properly again.

The computer turns on the fuel pump relay when you turn the key to pressurize the lines. If still no power to the relay, check the computer connector, there is a pinout diagram on http://www.gnttype.org/. My car is a T-top car & had water dripping onto the connector and corroded the pins, cleaned it up with contact cleaner and applied a little dielectric grease and its been fine for years now. Also fixed the water leak coming in through the heater box.

Good luck.

Bob

I just came in to claim I'm an IDIOT because last night I unplugged the wires at the tail lights that goes to the pump. :rolleyes: That's how new I am to these great cars.

Thx for your imput.

Smarter idiot

A real idiot would have started replaced the fuel pump...twice.
You bought a great car to learn about how turbocharging can and should work.

Glad thats all it was, now go get rid of all that old rubber on your back tires.

That's ok, since fuel pumps DO fail. The one in my mother's '85 T Type failed, and it was not as cheap to fix as an engine mounted fuel pump. At least you caught it without spending a fortune.

-Mike H.

Just for the record, I only replaced my pump once when I was fixing my fuel level sender. I bought a high volume pump & hot wired it thru a relay direct to the battery with an inline fuse. Easy to do and a good upgrade. However I won't deny that I am an idiot in training.

Bob