Won't Shift...

Orion231

Car will not shift...started going last night, and for a long time now it felt as if the car wasn't putting power to the ground and the shifts were very hard just kinda lazy, I thought it to be the stall... Well, Tranny was rebuilt all stock about a year and a half ago, good mechanic rebuilt it, never had any problems, then I started upgrading everything... Motor got a combo for solid 11s, but the tranny was all stock... So I got a PTS Extreme (Old 911) 3000-3200 Lock Up Converter and a Art Car shift kit(Kirban High Tech kit) and went to a local guy who does lots of work on these cars and has rebuilt many of these trannys. He installed the kit and converter and everything seemed ok, but it was ironic because the govenor spring came out on my way to have all this installed, and the car is acting alot like it did then, so Monday I am going to drop the pan and see what is wrong. The car has been shuddering while cruising and I thought it was powerloss, but it feels like a shift or a hiccup in the drivetrain like in the tranny... Sooo... :mad: I am just venting...any ideas guys I will know maybe Monday after I drop the pan... :(

One more question for Bruce...

Bruce how do tell if the converter is too "tight" John pearcy ordered it from you for me and it was supposed to match my PT-51 combo and was said to stall 3000-3200... Maybe it was the tranny but even before last time at teh track it seemed the engien would rev too high (didn't hurt anything) and there was a delay before power trasnferred to the ground, can the Converter do that? Or I am imagining it? I was just wondering. :) You always have great products and service and the car did handle great on the street too! :D

Well...

your converter is not your problem. See , I like to stay tight. Some prefer a little looser. 3K and a 51 is about right but what 51? Ahhhhh... See...
What exhaust housing is on the turbo. Exhaust wheel and housing will play hell with a converter combo. Also , I have seen front mounts act funny too, not that it is /or effecting your car.
Lots of things effect converter right down to how rich it is. Ask an expert tuner, they can change stall by the tune-up. Not alot but it will effect.

Converter

Well i have a stock IC with a DW neck and the turbo is a brand new PTE-51...John pearcy helped me pick this combo and the converter was supposed to be for a PT FMIC... So... I need to get that then I can see what happens. But the tranny definatley won't shift unless you let off of it, I think the gov spring is out. :( Will tell monday.

Ok....

Well... I dropped the pan, i cant see anythign broken and the fluid looks normal with normal wear... what do I check tomorrow? It will only shift if I let off the pedal, if you just try to hold it it sticks... :confused:

Update...

I took the govenor out and the spring is still there, that all works, the TV cable works, we couldn't see anything wrong with it. Played with the TV cable and it will shift now but the shifts are terrible, if you go WOT it just hits the rev limiter and won't shift. Sooo... I am out of ideas. :( Bruce what do I do next?

PUNT!

Get it to someone that is familiar and pay the bill. option 2. Pull it out and tear it down and start looking.

Sorry , best I can do.

Bruce WE4