Won't Shift right

jacksorroche

:confused:
I just got my transmission rebuilt and did an engine/tranny install all at once. In hooking up the linkage that goes to the steering colum I noticed that it will only shift into three places. I don't really feel like dropping the tranny to get it fixed, I am just wondering if there is an easy fix that I can do myself

Thanks in advance

Thanks for the info.

Please pardon my ignorance, but is this a hard fix? Can you please point me in the right direction as to how to fix this?

If the problem is the car won't go into park, it's the manual valve hooked up backwards. Pull the pan down and verify the manual valve hitting the case when your trying to shift into park.

If that is the case, you can loosen and remove the bolt holding the inside detent link, (the part that actually makes it go click,click,click when you shift. Looks like a roosters head), pull the nail out of the case that retains the shaft so you can pull it out some, then reverse the s clip so the manual valve is further back in it's bore, in it's correct position..... Not that hard to do and if you pull the pan you'll see what I'm takin bout...

Russ,

I was able to drop the pan, and it was exactly as you said. I was able to change the S clip and the shifter worked great! Another problem though, now the shifter cable from the concel is about a half inch short. Any ideas what might be wrong now?

Thanks for the help.
Jack

Yea, the bracket holding the cable on the trans needs to be moved up. Unbolt it from the pan and move it up one set of bolts....

I looked at the bolt position, and it will move it to far forward if the bracket forward one set. I also looked at that measurement again, its more like a quarter inch. Would elonging the bolt holes be bad?

You got me, somethin ain't right.... Your saying the cable won't bolt up to the shift bracket on the trans? Can you get a pic?

I'll try and get one tomorrow, if I can't, I will definately get it to you Saturday.
Thanks for all your help.

Russ,
I wasn't able to take a pic of the cable. Out of frustration, I elongated the cable bracket holes and still couldn't get the cable on. I am maybe an eight of an inch off. I guess I will try again tomorrow.
Thanks for all your help and concern.
Jack