Won't shift out of park

BuickTom

I recently installed a TCI rev manual valve body, about a week after, I noticed it sometimes getting difficult to shift out of park, but thought it was the shifter cable binding. Last night it wouldn't come out of park at all, pulling on the shifter you couldn't feel any detents and it would spring back to park. Turned the car off, and with a bit of force it came out of park, with a feeling similar to when you park on a steep hill and don't set the e-brake. After that, I found the shifter and cable were fine, and the only time the problem occured was trying to shift out of park initially after starting the car. Shifting with the car off was fine, and so was shifting into and out of park once the car was already running. All gears engaged normally as well. I don't know if the problem would be related to the valve body, or something else internal to the tranny, other than the problem began about a week after swapping valve bodies. Also whenever this has happened the car has been parked on flat ground with the brake set, so there was no external force on it.

Thanks for any advice or info,
Tom Caspar

You may need to readjust the column interlock rod assy. As a quick test, disconnect the column linkage from the transmission shift lever altogether and see if it stops binding.

Thanks for the sugestion, I forgot to mention I removed all the column interlock linkage when I put an aftermarket shifter in, so that can't be the problem :)

Thanks anyway,
Tom