won't shift out of 1st when in D, fine in O/D

350Rocket

Hey, hope you guys can help me with this. I have a 1983 Delta 88 I'm getting ready to drive this winter and the 2004R in it is acting kind of funny. What's happening is if I put it in drive instead of O/D for in town driving, it just stays in first and revs, when you let off the gas it will coast until I step on the gas again then it revs. Doesn't feel like it's slipping, just won't shift into the next gear. When in O/D it shifts okay but slightly late shifts and the 2-3 is somewhat mushy, so I'm scared to back off the tv cable any and make the 2-3 flare up. Also sometimes it feel like the lockup converter doesn't want to stay engaged on flat road, until I hit a slight grade and have to step on the gas a bit more then it engages. I'm going to try a complete flush of the fluid after pulling the pan to inspect for metal, but I was hoping to get some insight on this problem. If I have to swap a used trans in I want to do it before it gets cold out but I'm hoping I won't have to. Thanks.

I drove the car more today. I found it also doesn't like to downshift to 1st at WOT when it should like at speeds of about 35mph or faster, but at WOT if your already in first gear, it winds out to over 55mph and i have to let off the gas for it to shift cause the engine (a 307 Olds) is probably at well over 5000rpm by the sound of it and was done making power at around 4500rpm.

bump, maybe non turbo buick 2004R questions aren't wanted here? If I don't get a reply within the next few days I won't be back to check again. Please help if ya can guys, I don't mean to be a pain in the ass, I'm just broke and trying to help keep a $300 car running through the winter for me. Thanks.

When you say it just coasts, do you mean, that there's no engine braking (car slows with engine revs), what about engine braking in first and second.

Can you get it into 3rd by downshifting from 4th into 3rd?

Sounds like it is probably a high milage car, so if your not considering a rebuild or removal, all I think you would be left with is trying to check if the valve body bolts are loose (if your changing the fluid and filter it might be worth a shot, use a in-lb torque wrench preferably) and/or try removing the VB to look for bound/worn valves and changing VB gaskets, but this is more involved since checkballs which can easily fall out and roll away will need to be installed in the correct locations during reassembly.

If your more serious you might want to do some pressure testing, (tractor supply has a 400 psi gauge for about $6 bucks, but you still need some hose and fittings to tap into the pressure port on the drivers side above the shift linkage, 1/8" NPT I believe.

Hope this helps some, personally under this topic (trans talk), I don't care what it's in especially if its a 200-4R

Okay thanks, ya when I say it coasts it doesn't feel like theres any engine braking, eithers its in neutral or second possibly. I forgot to try pulling it down from 4th to 3rd at speed, either that or I was scared to because I know what it does in 3rd from a stop. I will try it though. From a stop to highway speed in o/d it feels normal except 1-2 is late and firm. 2-3 and 3-4 are really soft and hard to feel, plus the engine is quiet at speed so the shifts are hard to detect but I'm pretty sure its getting all 4 gears. I will definately not be rebuilding, but if worst comes to worst I will be putting one of my spare used 2004R's in, I just don't have a lot of time to be doing that. I basically have to take a day to do it because the car and the spare trans are both in different locations and I have to drive an hour and half just to get there and start the job.