Wobbly Steering Wheel

EMcNeice

While cruising at about 45-60 MPH my steering wheel wiggles back and forth... alignment is perfect, just has it done about a year ago. Tires are good, but one of the end link bushings, (rubber) is broke.. would that cause it? I was gonna grab a pair of poly ones from ATR...

If the wheel is moving on it's own...

...you probably have a tire separating. Jack up one side and then the other and spin the tire and look closely at the tread for any variation. If it's moving the steering wheel you should be able to see it. Another way is to look at it while rolling about 10mph. To do this, you will need to lean out the window, and have a helper do the same on the passenger side. You should be able to determine if this is the problem one way or the other. :cool:

I have that same problem while cruising down the highway. Here is something interesting I found. Could be the remedy. I think I'll try it out myself.

Kyle

A wiggle in the steering wheel is caused by 1 of 3 things:

Bad tire
Bent rim
out of balance.

take them and get them balanced - they should be able to tell you the answer to the other 2 once it is on the balance machine

I think its my front tires. 4 year old BFG Radial T/A's... decent tread but it looks like the rubber has dried up quite a bit. And they haven't been balance in 4 years either. Probably just grab a pair of Firestone Firehawk Indy's