Wobbly rear end, sorta scary to drive

trbogn

my GN has about 15,000 miles on it and it has been in storage for about 10 years (regularly started up, driven up and down driveway once a year). Car was not on blocks.

After going through everything it is running great. I went to race track for a few 1/4 passes and only had the guts to do a few runs. The rear was wobbly back and forth under acceleration, almost felt like I would lose control. 10 years ago it was much more stable. Mph in the 1/4 was about 108 or so at 23lbs boost. Even on the street with 15lbs boost the rear wobbles back and forth, almost like it is floating. It never used to do this 10 years ago.

Rear suspension is stock, except for a set of airbags (popped due to age, new set ordered).

What would be the components needed to make this car safe to drive? New airbags (ordered), and new rear shocks? I have plans for the full hrparts rear kit (sway bar, uppers, lowers), but not until next year. Would airbags and new shocks tighten up the scary wobble?

I am running 275/50/15 bfgoodrich drag radials on stock rim (i bought these tires in 2002. They need replacement, prob not even safe driving on them. (I will be replacing these with MT 255/60/15 drag radials soon).

Any help would be appreciated.

Tire psi is?
Any broken/loose suspension mt points?
Bad shocks will allow what you describe. Pull them off, and see if they are loose.
Any suspension bushings dry rotted?
Posi in good condition?

Tire pressure was 25lbs or so. I went through the suspension and nothing looked broke. The bushings look okay.

Not sure of condition of posi, I have never opened up the rear.

I will pull off the shocks and check.

I second the opinion that you should carefully evaluate the shocks. Its very possible that they are no longer performing like they did 10 years ago.

Those old drag radials probably have flat spots on them too.

I had the exact issue/feeling. Was a bad bolt on the upper control arm at the body.

Thanks for all the tips. I took off the rear shocks and they are shot, I can completely compress them by hand. Time for a new set of shocks. I have been reading through old posts about rear shock selection. Seems some people think that billsteins are a bit stiff? Car is street driven once in a while with a handful of track visits per year, so would like to dial it in for track use. I was thinking QA1 single adjustable. Expensive, but they look like they are easy to adjust and are good for street/strip use. On the other end of the spectrum, what would be a basic set of rear shocks? KYB? Lakewood 50/50?

I am sure the front shocks are shot as well. May as well replace all 4 I guess. 4 QA1 at $150 a pop is pretty darn expensive.

Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Decided to just focus on the rear at this time and get that squared away. Just going to order a set of QA1 single adjustable for the rear. Thanks for all the help.

These just bolt right in right?

If you're ordering QA1's for the rear, be sure to get their newest ones with new mounting brackets.
Yup, straight forward install, direct bolt in.

QA1 G body rear coil over mounting kit.jpg

Sorry, I thought you were talking about QA1 coil overs.....they also make shock absorbers which use the factory rear springs which is what you ordered. My bad.