Wiring ??

Chuck Leeper

Toxic old bastard
Staff member
The "oinker" [:poop:] has some loose wires that need to be put in the correct places.
I've been thru the shop manual... no luck.
1. At the upper left end of the plastic wire tray behind the dash, there is a connector w/ a lt blu and a tan wire in it. They are soldered across a resistor, or diode. It looks as tho the connector was originally taped to the plastic tray, when the car was built.The tan wire has been cut, so...:grumpy:
What's this for? [Can't find it in the sm.]
2. Short orange wire w/ a condenser hanging on 1 end. The other end is a male/female plug that is plugged into one of the fuse panel slots labeled "Batt". The condenser has a tab on it w/ "teeth", as tho it's to be plugged into??
W/ a bit of luck I should have this thing started in time for my buds to use it in my funeral....:smuggrin:
TIA,

The "oinker" [:poop:] has some loose wires that need to be put in the correct places.
I've been thru the shop manual... no luck.
1. At the upper left end of the plastic wire tray behind the dash, there is a connector w/ a lt blu and a tan wire in it. They are soldered across a resistor, or diode. It looks as tho the connector was originally taped to the plastic tray, when the car was built.The tan wire has been cut, so...:grumpy:
What's this for? [Can't find it in the sm.]
2. Short orange wire w/ a condenser hanging on 1 end. The other end is a male/female plug that is plugged into one of the fuse panel slots labeled "Batt". The condenser has a tab on it w/ "teeth", as tho it's to be plugged into??
W/ a bit of luck I should have this thing started in time for my buds to use it in my funeral....:smuggrin:
TIA,

OK, lets see how much I can confuse Chuck. Not really, I should be able to help.

1. That appears to be the anti-theft diode. I have no idea what cutting the wire does.

2. It is noise suppression for the radio. IIRC, the clip on the condenser hooks onto something on the right side of the fuse block. As a ground.

I also saw the other post, it mentioned the TCC lockup switch. This gets majorly cornfusing. With cruise control the upper switch is used for the TCC. This switch has the CC vacuum line on it.

With no CC, the lower switch does both brake & TCC duty. And appears to be a different switch then if CC is in place. There is a recent thread (1-month old?) that I posted pictures in. Another poster also posted pictures, it was confusing for a while.

RemoveBeforeFlight

OK, lets see how much I can confuse Chuck. Not really, I should be able to help.

1. That appears to be the anti-theft diode. I have no idea what cutting the wire does.

2. It is noise suppression for the radio. IIRC, the clip on the condenser hooks onto something on the right side of the fuse block. As a ground.

I also saw the other post, it mentioned the TCC lockup switch. This gets majorly cornfusing. With cruise control the upper switch is used for the TCC. This switch has the CC vacuum line on it.

With no CC, the lower switch does both brake & TCC duty. And appears to be a different switch then if CC is in place. There is a recent thread (1-month old?) that I posted pictures in. Another poster also posted pictures, it was confusing for a while.

RemoveBeforeFlight

1. The car did have anti theft on it, that was chopped up when I got the car. So, I'll just remove it, and the attending wires.
2. The car had cruise control. It too was off the car, and in the trunk. Someone bought it, and I now recall sending the vac sw w/ it. I will pull the sw that's there, as it has a 2 pin plug on the end. I'll check it w/ a meter to see what I have. If it's a "no go", I can use a Camaro brake sw, in order to control the tcc.

I'll try a search for the posts w/ the pic...

Thanks!

Chuck, since you have the CC switch, install and adjust it, and plug the TCC connector (2-PNK/BLK + PPL wires) into it.

The lower switch will handle the brakes lights, and the upper switch will handle the TCC. This is how GM set them up in a car with CC, and you're correct, it isn't well documented by GM.

RemoveBeforeFlight

Chuck, since you have the CC switch, install and adjust it, and plug the TCC connector (2-PNK/BLK + PPL wires) into it.

The lower switch will handle the brakes lights, and the upper switch will handle the TCC. This is how GM set them up in a car with CC, and you're correct, it isn't well documented by GM.

RemoveBeforeFlight
I found the thread that Rick started.
I'm GTG. I labeled the cruise and TCC plugs as not used, and put them up out of the way. The brake sw has most of the "threads eaten off", so I think I'll get a Camaro sw, so I can do the TCC..The pt# I have for the "dual function" Camaro sw is an Autozone # DR461.
Next is the condenser plug ground. Once that's done, [may put a radio in it, at some point], it's time for the new "GNS" dash to be installed.:smuggrin:

Thanks for the help!:cool:

Last edited:
The condenser mounts to the upper right fuse block mounting screw:

GN_FuseBlock_00.jpg

I don't think that the condenser bracket should be bent the way it is. Likely was pushed on to gain clearance elsewhere.

RemoveBeforeFlight