Wiring question for pump/controller

qwiketz

I have a controller that I'm trying to bypass 12v to "prime" the alky system prior to it going into use. I got the controller off a wrecked car, so needless to say, it doesn't have all the features that I'd ideally desire.

My question is, I've heard that if you bypass the controller to prime the pump, you don't want the 12v getting back to the alky controller.

I have a shurflow pump, and if I wire in between the pump controller(not the alky controller, the thing that keeps it at the certain psi) and the pump itself (similar to bypassing the controller) will this current go back through the pump controller and back into the alky controller?

My main concern is shorting out the progressive controller.

I'd imagine I'd only have to prime the system for a fraction of a second for the motor to start to bog down. Would this hurt if I did this? Are there any one way type isolators I can pickup at my electronics store?

You could do it with a DOUBLE POLE DOUBLE THROW relay.

Single pole double throw MAY work also if grounds OR hot wire are common to the pump and car, ie battery ground or battery hot.

Pump goes to the common relay terminals, N/C to the progressive controller and N/O terminals to the battery and ground for priming.

When the relay is triggered by your test switch it will get power to the shurflo for as long as you hold the button.

Common of the relay coil to ground, +12 to the momentary switch for the test button.

Should be a high amperage relay with good contacts.

Why doesn't the controller itself have a test button? Most do.

:confused:

I'd contact the maker of the controller for recomendations. Just like any other piece of electronics for a vehicle. When you need specific technical, doing so assures your getting the correct answer.

If that person/company is no longer around..then you must do what you got to do.