Wiring Breaker question

Kovmat

Doing a custom harness for my Hybrid and was wondering what the GN used for over current protection on the main power going to the fuse block and the other high current ckts. I notice there are 3 round cylinders inline on the power feeds coming off the starter solenoid. Are those thermal breakers or just a transition?

If anyone can help me out on that, I would appreciate it.

Thanks,
Matt

Fuseable links. You can buy fuse wire at most auto parts stores.
Also, check out CASPERS. John has most everything you'll need.

I used a relay to feed a little 6 fuse fuseblock.. Its fed from the alternator, is turned on by the ignition, then runs the power to said aftermarket fuseblock ($15 from napa), then the fuseblock feeds the 5 or so wires on the engine harness that need power, each one has its own fuse value.

Nothing else was needed.

I used a relay to feed a little 6 fuse fuseblock..

Do you remember what size relay you used?

I am still curious what those 3 cylindars are down there by the starter. Anyone know?

Thanks,
Matt

they are simply molded protectors to signify and cover the point where the fuseable link (wire) joins the std wiring at the harness,
from that " barrel " to the starter is fusible link wire.

similar 'barrel" is used for the fusible link wire at the battery for the orange ecm power feed

Like pacecarta said, those cylinders are inline fuses.

Here are some photos of my setup.

This pic shows under the dash, and how the engine is not run form the factory Chevelle fuseblock but the new one:
l_01d11e113566492a85b71abaa8607173.jpg

This one shows under the hood after I was mostly finished, you can see the relay on the driver fender that runs the power to the fuseblock, you can also see the GN engine harness plug under the master cylinder where the 5 wires coming from the new fuseblock plug into the proper terminals.
l_46bd0ec0b64c4c94a8097640fd97aeb0.jpg

These next two diagrams were all I had to work with for figuring this out:
l_2d54d81e0ded40888495dbb62df5ccda.jpg

This second diagram is important because it is not involved with the new fuseblock or any of the other stuff but does need to be hooked up. This illustrates the wires that need to be ran to the 434 connector. I have 3 wires running to it, one gives me info from the ECM via the ALDL plug and runs to the scanmaster in the car, the other gives power from a 12volt source in series with a small light bulb which will be the check engine light. The third wire i believe is just another 12volt source that needs to be fed into the 434 plug.
l_7af1ea2c9229439499dcb5b70604faa1.jpg

Its very hard to explain this stuff over the internet, but when you have more questions just PM me or post a reply, and good luck as this was one of the most gratifying projects ive done.

Oh, by the way the wires from the starter that have those fusible links you are asking about were NOT used when I did this. They supply power to the GN fuseblock but since I didnt use the old fuseblock they were not needed and can be left alone.

Also the relay I used to run my fueblock is 30A however I may be upgrading to a 60A.

12lbChevelle, Thanks for all the info. I think I have it figured out what to do.

Matt