wiper switch wiring

spidereyes

Does anyone know if it is possible (and how to acomplish it) to modify the wiring from a later G body with the wiper switch on the column and make it work with a dash mounted switch? I know the easiest route would be to use an 84-88 column as it would be plug and play or should I say wipe? I am really trying to not have to change the column cause it is going to be impossible to find a tilt floorshift or any coulumn for that matter in that dark jade green that would match my interior. To avoid any confusion as to why I would want to do this here is a little background info. The car is an 81 Grand Prix that I am currently swapping over to fuel injection and for the sake of simplicity (or so I thought) I used a dash harness out of an 86 Bonneville with a 4.3 TBI to minimize the amount of modifications I would need to do for the ECM. I have gotten past all the other hurdles with this swap including modifying an 89 Firebird TBI harness to work in it with a CFI 305 and a 5 speed. Yes you read that right crossfire injection , why? cause I had one and I've never seen or heard of it done before. But this dilemma with the wipers has me stumped. It does not matter to me whether I would need to use the old style or newer style wiper motor, I just need them to work. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If you had working wipers with the dash switch all you would need to do is replicate the original harness wiring from the original switch in the dash to the original motor in the engine bay right?

The service manual for the wiper motor on the 81 Grand Prix should have what connections you would need to make from the dash switch to the wiper motor under the hood.

Sounds like the easiest way out to me, usually around 14 gauge wire is used.

Unless I'm missing something here like other car parts, harnesses, motors and switches? :confused: :p

I am using a newer dash harness that had a wiper switch on the column. I am just trying to figure out how to use that wiring to run the dash mounted switch as the power flow through the circut seems to be different and there are more wires at the switch on the newer harness and a couple are different colors and seem to make connections to different contacts based on a comparison of both schematics. Guess what it boils down to is I'm having trouble making heads or tails of the power flow through the wiper motor and each circut, other than the white power wire that comes from the fuse box goes directly to the switch on the newer style and through the C100 connector directly to the motor on the older style. I was and still am hoping someone else has done this before. Guess I just need to study harder.

To do what you want to do would require both service manuals with accurate wiring diagrams, and you would need the new wiring harness to replicate the old wiring that went to the stock dash switch out to the motor.

The new harness may incorporate delay wipers etc. or perhaps a mist function and would account for different wiring. Motors may have changed as well.

If you have two accurate system schematics get a good close up photo of each at the switches and a separate close up picture of wiring at the motors for each car and post them up.

Assuming the wires at each switch stay the same through the harness out to the motor for each car which I know they do in the G body.

My elky had the dash mounted switch, had Off/low/high & spray, no mist or delay. I wanted delay and wanted the turn signal switch. I am using a steering column from an '84 Grand Prix and a wiper motor from an '87 GN. The wires from the stock harness had some of the correct color wires as the new column, and the harness from the wiper motor had some of the correct ones. I lucked out and the other wires that needed connecting were the same color on the wiper motor and the column wiring, If I remember right, I only had to add two or three wires. 2 of the 3 mounting bolts for the wiper motor lined up and had to use a self tapping screw for the 3rd. HTH